Looking For New Petrol AT Sedan: Hyundai Verna or Honda City?

Thread Starter #1
As my Figo is entering it's 9th year soon [clap] it's already time for a new car and should sure be an upgrade. Here are my basic requirements, and will have no compromise on it, whatsoever.
  • Transmission – Definitely AT, just to remind I am in Bangalore! Fine with CVT, TC, DCT in that order, no AMT for sure.
  • Body Type - Initially thought of SUV and Creta was in mind. But not fitting in the budget so forgone it with heavy heart. Same goes with Seltos as well. So the only next option is Sedan.
  • Fuel Type – Petrol. Since I have been driving Diesel all these while, thinking of Petrol now. Further, with the current fuel pricing, no real cost benefit on diesel and the future of Diesels isn’t clear either
  • Features – Everything possible! Yeah, who would say no to anything. But essentials are Auto AC, Keyless Start-Stop Go, Touch Screen Audio with Android Auto, Camera etc., Projector Headlights, LED Tail Lights, and any other usable features like speed sensing auto lock, volume etc. Good to have – Auto Headlamps, Auto Wipers etc. No need at all, but OK to have – Sunroof
  • Driving Experience – Of course, as an auto enthusiast, this goes without saying. Ride and handling, cornering capabilities and the whole experience of being behind the wheel is hardline.
  • Color – White! Period.

The Verna Story –
With those filters on, the obvious result is Verna! Which is my all time favourite anyway. The SX+ has everything I mentioned and more (Smart Boot for example) and of course, not to mention Hyundai’s design, aesthetics, ergonomics, well proven 1.6 Petrol Engine, ride and handling etc. So all boxes checked, but… Petrol AT is completely sold out and they don’t have a single piece left. Had some discussions on Diesel AT as well but it’s a premium of 2 L on pricing, which doesn’t justify, even with the offers they have for BS4. However, there were only limited options, which were sold out too in no time.

The City Story –
With a broken heart, I started to explore others and landed with City, which was never in my radar considering it’s pricing which is over 18L for top end. However, they offered V variant of BS6 2020 model which is around 15L and ready for further negotiations. Test drove it and like it as well. In fact, much more smoother compared to Verna (maybe give it to CVT). This variant mostly has it all essentials minus Projector Headlights, LED Tail Lights, and good to have features. In deed, it’s not VFM compared to SX+ of Verna, but can’t really compare as the latter isn’t available at all. Also, design / looks, not much there to Verna (just my opinion).

Some side stories in between –
Creta
– My first choice of all, but out of budget. It’s a lost love! Same with Seltos.
Ciaz – Well it’s a typical Suzuki feeling, you have everything, but somewhere you aren’t fulfilled. Maybe got to do with their design, aesthetic sense or taste or materials used. It’s just not there if you put it next to Verna.
S-Cross – Slightly a different segment, though not much. Existing Diesel MT is a clear NO. But with Petrol AT already announced, can consider and will fit well in the budget Rest all, same as above!
Brezza – Diesel AMT is a clear NO. But with Petrol AT already launched, can consider and will fit well in the budget. Otherwise, same as above!
Ecosport – Can feel to be a hardcore Ford fan and continue to remain. All good overall and well proven in the Sub 4M segment. However, the Top End AT doesn’t have certain features which is present in S variant which further over a lakh lesser. Eg: Android Auto. Could be due to the excise benefit for S version. However, doesn’t sound justified to pay more and get less. Further, rear seat is just for 2 people, not much. Ford – Mahindra is an unknown area to even think now.
Venue – Test drove, it’s just tiny and can’t even be compared with ES.
Rapid – No stock!
i-20 - I am OK for it as it will be more economical and keep it budget friendly, but family is against me to move from Hatch Back to Hatch Back as it's not a real upgrade. It's true in a way.
Vento – More expensive, both to buy and maintain.

So finally, it’s a choice to make between Verna and City.
  • Verna – Got to wait for a couple of months for the new Verna. Seeing the Chinese version, I hated to even consider to wait for the new model. But the Russian version (Solaris) gives a breather and hope that the one for India. Though we keep seeing images of new / facelifted Verna, one of the dealers told me (just today) that the BS6 engine is coming on the same existing model. It’s hard for me to believe, as the existing model is over 2 years old and it’s time for a facelift. Also, the new model is expected to be priced at least 20 – 30K more than the existing and can’t expect any offers / deals. So around 15L+ for SX+ variant and not sure on the equipment list whether will it remain same or something to be added or axed.
  • City – BS6 already on sale on the existing version. However, the 5th Gen City is already expected to be launched by mid March and also looks much better than the existing and at par with Verna.

So, what do you suggest? Wait for new Verna or go with City? Any insights, detailed analysis would help me to make a better decision. Timeline wise, I am not in a hurry and can wait for a couple of months.

Happy Motoring [drive]

Pic Courtesy - Hindustan Times.

Did you consider Yaris VX CVT? It is a solid car. Only things better in Verna more powerful engine , but Toyota will give better FE. And tyres will need to be upgraded to R16. Otherwise Yaris is a solid car with 7 airbags , roof vents and other features.

With both the cars coming soon in a new Avatar, I would suggest you wait for a few months and then take a call.
And if you are not satisfied with the new launches you will have the opportunity to bargain for the old models.
As for the final choice between the 2, I would go for the CITY

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Honda CITY now has become way too pricey. I owned one in petrol for 6.5 years and it was 2011 model. The car was great without any tantrums. However, in present day, I don't think the Honda CITY's pricing is justified. It is the model name and IVtec engine's legacy for which Honda is charging way too much. I do think Yaris is good but rear seating isn't that comfortable if compared to CIAZ or CITY. I would suggest you to consider Verna's Facelift (provided if Hyundai also further improves on the rear legroom), Yaris & even CIAZ. In CIAZ you'll have typical built quality of MSIL which might leave you bit disappointed though. Rest, it is spacious and has a decent cabin layout and reliable aftersales. Sadly, brands like Mahindra, Tata and even Ford have got nothing in this segment at present.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #6
Did you consider Yaris VX CVT? It is a solid car. Only things better in Verna more powerful engine , but Toyota will give better FE. And tyres will need to be upgraded to R16. Otherwise Yaris is a solid car with 7 airbags , roof vents and other features.
No indeed. It's pricey (as much as City) and I don't think it's a value for money. Plus, the design and looks aren't for my likes.

With both the cars coming soon in a new Avatar, I would suggest you wait for a few months and then take a call.
And if you are not satisfied with the new launches you will have the opportunity to bargain for the old models.
As for the final choice between the 2, I would go for the CITY
I agree and thinking to do the same. However, I think only City old model (present) will be available to offer, Verna is already sold out.

Honda CITY now has become way too pricey. I owned one in petrol for 6.5 years and it was 2011 model. The car was great without any tantrums. However, in present day, I don't think the Honda CITY's pricing is justified. It is the model name and IVtec engine's legacy for which Honda is charging way too much. I do think Yaris is good but rear seating isn't that comfortable if compared to CIAZ or CITY. I would suggest you to consider Verna's Facelift (provided if Hyundai also further improves on the rear legroom), Yaris & even CIAZ. In CIAZ you'll have typical built quality of MSIL which might leave you bit disappointed though. Rest, it is spacious and has a decent cabin layout and reliable aftersales. Sadly, brands like Mahindra, Tata and even Ford have got nothing in this segment at present.

Regards
Akash
Yes, it's too pricey and not well justified. I think, only competition and sales numbers can bring it down. But with the new Gen, I don't think they will come down, at least for a year.

I think in verna , the diesel doesn't have full option trim , it lacks many features . Honda city is over priced.
Verna petrol auto has pathetic mileage figures .
Verna diesel top end SX-O and just one less SX+ variants have everything. In fact, SX+ is more VFM. Yes, Petrol Verna would be guzzler, but FE is the only or top priority, I guess we have nothing other than Marutis [lol] BTW, Petro Brezza is launched today and must have hit the showrooms. Will do a TD soon to update further.

I think the case differences in Creta (I am not sure ) , coz most of the times , I really don't know why Hyundai does this stupidity , for ones who look for top trims , it is a deal breaker (Ventillated seats is a great feature for Indian climates)

We are also in similar confusion as well.Well,we own a 2014 Honda City VMT Diesel,which was bought used in July 2017 when it had run 35000 Kms and now it has run close to 90000 Kms.The reason we want to sell our City because our usage doesn't warrant a Diesel anymore(running is only 25 Kms up and down) as the car is 80% driven by mom and 20% driven by myself,dad and driver and I feel its time to move to AT's as my mom is facing back pains since last few months and usage might get reduced as my mom's office is just 5-6 Kms from our new house,which will be ready in few months and along with the City,we have an Innova too,which we prefer to take it whenever we go on highways.

So,we have decided to switch to Petrol AT's and considering Honda City again along with Verna 1.0 GDI,Venue,Creta,Seltos and Ecosport.Ruled out MG Hector as it will be too big for my mom to drive and it will be suitable as a replacement for our Innova.

As of now,we are considering another Honda City as I simply love its petrol engine and I'm still regretting for not getting Petrol engined City over the Diesel due to stupidity of my dad as he prefers Diesel over Petrol due to mileage(every typical Indian dad's mindset) but slowly he is getting realized that having a Diesel car as a second car is not a requirement anymore due to less cost differences between Diesel fuel and Petrol fuel.

Last edited:
Actually @Music_Swift bro , this isn't the right time for buying a new ride , as the prices are gonna be stepped up , I would suggest you to wait for more time (say a year anyways ) , else for the time being you can try Baleno CVT / Figo AT which are quite great with their auto transmission .

Actually @Music_Swift bro , this isn't the right time for buying a new ride , as the prices are gonna be stepped up , I would suggest you to wait for more time (say a year anyways ) , else for the time being you can try Baleno CVT / Figo AT which are quite great with their auto transmission .
Don't want hatches.Looking for well maintained used AT's too like Corolla Altis,Octavia or Superb and found a 2016 end Corolla Altis VL AT for sale at Rs.13.9L and ran just 21k Kms and colour is silver.Had told my dad to look at this as a replacement for City as its Toyota and have good experiences with Toyota whenever I give my Innova for service.

@Figoian -Why not look at used Corolla Altis if you want reliability?There are abundance of Corolla Altis AT's available for sale in Bangalore and you will get the Altis for good price(even lesser than a new City,Ciaz and Verna) that too a less run one and I would recommend you to look at used Octavias but its not good to buy an used Germans when compared to the reliability of Japanese and Korean.

Corolla Altis AT petrol , i won't say it is best for the segment, as its no match for its rivals. Octavia is a VFM always , Superb its a different league (Just depends on which year model you are looking at , in case of superb ) . Octy is a dream enthusiast's car .

Thread Starter #14
After waiting for new versions of City, Verna and other new launches and the most unexpected pandemic, lockdown etc., this topic is back on discussion now. Just want to bring some colors back in life [:D]

New Creta – Refreshed and looking good, though I would still prefer the outgoing model. But too steeped up with pricing - SX AT variant with decently loaded features at 18.8 L. So not considering it again!
Ciaz, Venue, Rapid, Vento, S-Cross, Brezza. Ecosport – Out of list now.
Sonet – New on the list and tried. It's good and not as tiny as Venue or ES, but only top end variant is feature rich costing 16.25 L, which is 1.25 L over Verna or City with similar features. Worth that price?

So back to the most undecidable choices, Verna Vs City. As I checked both side by side, here is my take.
Verna SX IVT - Feature rich, VFM, Funky in terms of looks. However, space wise falling behind, especially rear seat with a huge margin compared with City.
City V CVT - Despite being the base version, at par with Verna in terms of feature and has got most of it. Missing few goodies / luxuries like Smart Boot, Sunglass Holder, LED Fog Lights, Digital Instrument Cluster etc. But these are great to be, but won't be a deal breaker I guess. But wheel size (15 vs 16) is a glarring miss and I would like to have. Of course, it can be upgraded but comes out of my pocket. However, well packed in terms of safety features like 4 Airbags, ESP, Brake Assist with EBD, Vehicle Stability and Traction Control, TPMS, etc. It's impressive to see these in the base variant.

That said, should I have to break up with my long awaited love for Verna and move on with City? Or is there a reason I should stick to Verna? Or, got any other choices?

Petrol engine - Honda IVtech is the segment best.
Rear seat comfort- Honda City always
Features- Hyundai always loads you with bells and whistles, but just do check on which you prefer, features or tech spec.(I had the same confusion while going in for Swift v/s Elite i20 , and driving experience, handling won and swift landed in our stables)
I do drive my friend's Verna often, which is a 1.6VTVT manual, it is a beast on highway drives, superb performance, but where it lags is the rear seat comfort and fuel economy in city conditions, in spite a manual it was pathetic(single-digit figures).

If you are planning to keep the car for more than 5 years, pick the car which comes in with the most loaded features(That's my point of view), as in the longer run, lower segment cars will also get the same features, and we ourselves feel a regret.

Hope these points add light to your dilemma.

Top Bottom