Looking for a Petrol Sedan!

"keeprevving"

Friend you can go for Honda City as U are to get a Petrol Sedan. It is a upmarket product anyday. You can also test drive Ford Classic Duratec, Petrol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it's a good suggestion but by September the car will be phased out [anger].
Well, even if it gets phased out, we can be sure of parts availability for quite a decent period. Moreover, Magnum was the best built Optra in my opinion so a trouble free ownership is not a far fetched dream. Getting phased out surely is a concern but if this is OK then you can one hell of a deal on Magnums.

BTW, with this post my total post count reaches "Devil's Number - 666" [evil]

freakdude.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Right from my first day of driving, i have been with diesels and most of them were quite sluggish. That's is the reason I am craving for a petrol. Could have opted for Ford Fiesta if 1.6S was available but that has been discontinued. Magnum has a fabulous engine for sure but the seating is on the lower side (correct me if wrong). Ingress and egress is a bit stressful.

Last edited:
Right from my first day of driving, i have been with diesels and most of them were quite sluggish. That's is the reason I am craving for a petrol. Could have opted for Ford Fiesta if 1.6S was available but that has been discontinued. Magnum has a fabulous engine for sure but the seating is on the lower side (correct me if wrong). Ingress and egress is a bit stressful.
To be honest with you what freakdude says is right optra can blow rapid,sunny,even the Vento , the space is super it's very luxurious but it does have turbo lag and seating position is same as other sedans but more comfertable .the comfort space you can compare the optra with ALTis and civic.
But if you are looking for petrol sedan seriously the Honda city is the best bet you can play.

I am in a bit of dilemma over buying a petrol sedan.
Cars that I have shortlisted are:
1. ANHC CE
2. Linea 2012 (no T-Jet)
2. SX4 Petrol
4. New Ford Fiesta Petrol
5. Vento Petrol
6. Rapid Petrol
7. Fluidic Verna Petrol

I am looking for driving pleasure. I know, T-Jet is the best one but it is out of my budget. ANHC is undoubtedly the best bet but with the current sales figures, is there a newer version on cards? Honda is not known to change its design cycle so frequently, but could lower sales make them do the same? Also, the GC of ANHC lowers considerably with 5 on-board. This is a nightmare on Indian roads. Is this GC issue addressed in ANHC 2012?
Petrol Sedan ! My Vote goes for Honda City.
It would be the best choice !

Thread Starter #21
It seems Honda City is the unanimous choice here. Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have squared my choice on Honda City. Should I book the car this month or wait for the festivals? Honda City is not doing well in the sales dept., this could trigger some discounts at the time of Dusshera and Diwali.

@keeprevving: THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO BUY A PETROL CAR. Industry is suffering from overproduction, plants have been shut down temporarily, dealer stockyards are overflowing with unsold models and they are refusing to accept further cars from manufacturers. Even the Swifts and Dzires are available almost off the shelf. And the best news for you is that July was the worst month for Honda after recovery from the Thiland debacle. They desperately need to sell some cars. And they desperately need to sell some cars NOW.

Believe you me, you will not get a better time to buy a petrol car. Bargain hard. Dont be afraid to say 'NO' and don't be afraid to walk away. Hunt for your City at multiple Honda dealerships and compare quotes. And last but not the least, don't forget to tell us TAIndians that you managed to get your City Corporate Edition (most value for money City) for Rs 8 lakhs flat:biggrin:

All the best!

Last edited:
@keeprevving: THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO BUY A PETROL CAR. Industry is suffering from overproduction, plants have been shut down temporarily, dealer stockyards are overflowing with unsold models and they are refusing to accept further cars from manufacturers. Even the Swifts and Dzires are available almost off the shelf. And the best news for you is that July was the worst month for Honda after recovery from the Thiland debacle. They desperately need to sell some cars. And they desperately need to sell some cars NOW.

Believe you me, you will not get a better time to buy a petrol car. Bargain hard. Dont be afraid to say 'NO' and don't be afraid to walk away. Hunt for your City at multiple Honda dealerships and compare quotes. And last but not the least, don't forget to tell us TAIndians that you managed to get your City Corporate Edition (most value for money City) for Rs 8 lakhs flat:biggrin:

All the best!
+100 the best part is you get airbags and abs , music system you can put of your choice with. Reverse camera too and say some alloys of your choice and can getvthebdoor handles body painted or chrome all in all spending 40,000 rs more you get a hell lot of a car .
But Sam there is just 1 problem there is great deal of waiting for the ce model dealers are allocated very very few cars and it seems most of the people buying Honda city is going for the ce model because it is the most vfm option .

Even if i am FIAT owner i am not going to suggest you Linea T-Jet here. Why FIAT not launching T-Jet 2012 model yet? due to stock clearance? or may be they discontinue due to poor sale?. No doubt T-Jet is excellent machine but only 151 Linea sold in last month. So better to stick with Honda City which has very good history. But also check/confirm the service interval of Honda with your SA.

There is a simple thumb rule. Petrol Sedan - Choice 1 has to be Honda City.
BTW I assume that your monthly mileage is less than or around 1000 Kms as you are going for Petrol.

Honda City is one of the best petrol sedans in India. I own a 2011 S MT. You can check out my ownership review in this forum.

AFAIK, some dealers pass on corporate discount of upto 15k on City Corporate Edition (if you are employed by a company eligible for corporate discount). In Gujarat, OTR price is around 8.30 lacs without any discounts. If you consider corporate discount of Rs. 15k, it comes to around 8.15 lacs.

Considering the present market, the petrol prices and your budget i would say you go for Honda City and you might get a good discount on it as well.
And one can never go wrong with a Honda.

Given your choice as Petrol car, I can only suggest either Skoda Rapid OR VW Vento

Fiat - Ruled out looking at the sales numbers of Linea for the past 6 months
SX4 - too old model to buy now
Honda City - Yes brand value and its a proven car. But the model is in the market since ages now.

If you plan to retain your car for the next 5 yrs atleast then you should consider buying a new model sedan.

VW Vento - I suggest you should take a test drive. Look at the road handling at over 100KM and strong body build. German engineering and what else to say for

Skoda Rapid - It's a ditto of Vento. Actually both VW and Skoda share the engineering concepts and hence except for the brand change both Rapid & Vento are identical. But have heard my friends complaining about AC problem with almost most of Skoda cars.

You take a test drive of City & Vento /Rapid back to back. You will definitely find better handling by German cars than City.

Top Bottom