Lightweight or Heavy Build?

Which is your choice?

• Total voters
@Raja
Bro that post was an answer to post 33.

@All.
people here are still comparing innova to high GC.SUV's with strong cross bumpers which helps the SUV's to a less damage on low speed crashes on a traffic or so...
In a high speed crash,i strongly believe that an innova is equally engineered to survive compared to the Bulky looking SUV's.

I believe on engineering and technology than the built quality of the steel they use.
A 1960 well built ambassador to lighter built 2013 beat, i believe on beat ,on high speed collision, the engine will fall down and the steering will collapse for the safety of the passengers,
But on old Amby the engine will be your co-passenger and the steering wheel will be on your rib-cage.

Last edited:
If the poll is on lighter swift to heavier punto , then my vote is on punto,
same advanced tech and engineering but the steel used on punto makes it more safer.
And that doesn't mean that swift is totally unsafe because they are lighter.

Last edited:
@vivek,

If you compare the EuroNCAP crash safety ratings 2005 Punto and 2010 Suzuki Swift both score 5 stars. And Swift is lighter than Punto in Europe too.

I am fighting against the misconception that a heavy (kerb weight) car is a safe car. Which is not. Crash safety is by design and a light car can be as safe as (some cases better than) a heavy car that has similar crash safety ratings.
Eg: Formula One cars are light as a feather. Driver in those cars survive the crash that if he were to be in a normal road car wouldnt.

Now back to India.

17 killed, five injured in Karnataka road accident | NDTV.com

Now more research into that news will tell you that the jeep was a Force Toofan (a very heavy car). Not necessarily safe.

Note: I am in no way justifying the reckless driving the driver was involved in during the crash.

I guess everybody here agrees to that fact that safety is not just dependent on the weight of the cars. (Though I myself quoted EuroNCAP's safety ratings for volkswagen and ford [:)] ). But if we have to compare two cars of same generation and same category, obviously there is no point comparing vehicles from two different generations, I would still prefer a heavier car. Traditionally the makers of heavier cars have had higher percentage of safer cars too volkswagen, ford, volvo. Traditionally they have also been cars with better handling. I believe that lighter cars can get unsettled on rough roads at high speeds.
Regarding formula-1 cars being light and safe, we have to account for the fact that they are made of carbon fiber bodies and are also aerodynamically highly efficient. Not many road cars are. Formula1 cars do get unsettled upon hitting a kerb.
Having said all that have to agree that things cannot be generalized. Until our government comes out with crash testing and ratings, we won't know which ones are really safe. Come 2015 and things might improve.

crash safety ratings are rated and tested on a head on collision to a concrete/steel solid block.
But back on roads,all the safety measures do not work as the collision do not always occurs as the way it was tested.
The aerodynamic cars while hit on the rear of a big truck normally goes under the truck and the impact is more on the windshield, resulting the failure of the safety measures.
Here the high GC SUV's have an advantage and are more safe.
Indian Govt had taken measures to prevent such collision by making compulsory a rear cross bumper accessory with reflective to newly registered heavy vehicles,which helps the safety measures of the cars to come in action on collision.

Attachments

Last edited:
crash safety ratings are rated and tested on a head on collision to a concrete/steel solid block.
But back on roads,all the safety measures do not work as the collision do not always occurs as the way it was tested.
The aerodynamic cars while hit on the rear of a big truck normally goes under the truck and the impact is more on the windshield, resulting the failure of the safety measures.
Here the high GC SUV's have an advantage and are more safe.
Indian Govt had taken measures to prevent such collision by making compulsory a rear cross bumper accessory with reflective to newly registered heavy vehicles,which helps the safety measures of the cars to come in action on collision.
I agree with you buddy, and thanks for telling about cross bumper acc. never knew the purpose of this thing.[roll]

One more case happened to on of my forum friend on 17th july.

It clearly answers all safety concerns.

After 10 mins of drive just a km before Ganaur and right in front of Divine City Gate I was hit by a truck who was trying to overtake me from the right. His front left portion hit my right side of the car at the right rear near the fuel cap cover. All I heard was a soft thud and my car spun 90 degree clockwise and was now perpendicular to the direction of the road and slipping sideways. Immediately the moving truck hit me on my right side and pushed me nearly 100m before it stopped. Fortunately, I was safe and sound in my cockpit and I clambered to the left seat and got out from the left front door without a scratch. The right side o fmy car took the brunt of the impact and i was surprised to see the minimal damage to the doors, though they will be changed during repairs. I completely attribute my safe exit due to act of God who made it possible through my beloved Punto.
20130717_190658.jpg

20130718_102938.jpg

Top Bottom