Life With Chevrolet Sail: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #16
The hack job looks stock, won't differentiate easily.

Check whether other OEMs would fit. Bought universal one for Polo. Works okay, better than no antenna, but not as good as stock.
Got a universal one from Amazon for Rs.300 which turned out to be useless. There was 0 reception.
1649238448125.jpeg

1649238461541.jpeg

It was a relevation when I found out that the antenna thread of our Ignis is same as the Sail. However, the rubber covering had to be cut for it to fit. Got one from Suzuki Spare parts store for Rs. 230.
It is the same antenna used in Ignis, Swift, S Cross, and Baleno.

1649238561134.jpeg

Suzuki Antenna in the bottom with the rubber cut off from the end.
1649238588692.jpeg

1649238694325.jpeg

1649238706933.jpeg

The newly bought antenna was installed in the Ignis and the one from Ignis was cut and installed in the Sail.
The radio is so clear now even in an enclosed parking spot with metal roofing. I have never heard the radio in this car with so much clarity even with the OEM antenna. It basically feels like streaming from the internet.
Therefore, if anyone is looking to improve the radio reception of their Chevrolet Sail or any other car (if the thread is the same), get a Maruti Suzuki Antenna for Rs. 230!

Being in the same boat as you, I too have a Chevolet Sail Tcdi which i bought in the year 2013 - the only difference is that i have been able to drive it upto the 2 Lac KM mark, and would be crossing this mark shortly.

I want to ask you one thing, why not use the Chevrolet authorised Service stations for the car's service and maintenance. In all these years I have always relied on the chevy ASS and they have never let me down.

Close to 2 Lac KM, I have always got my car serviced religiously at every 10000Km and apart from running repairs, the car hasn't asked for something out of the box - even the clutch remains unchanged.

I was thinking that I will be able to drive this car upto atleast 3lac KM, but NGT ban in Delhi NCR has really screwed those plans, althought the car is in great shape but will have to part ways in coming months - Sad but true.
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 5.12.38 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Being in the same boat as you, I too have a Chevolet Sail Tcdi which i bought in the year 2013 - the only difference is that i have been able to drive it upto the 2 Lac KM mark, and would be crossing this mark shortly.

I want to ask you one thing, why not use the Chevrolet authorised Service stations for the car's service and maintenance. In all these years I have always relied on the chevy ASS and they have never let me down.

Close to 2 Lac KM, I have always got my car serviced religiously at every 10000Km and apart from running repairs, the car hasn't asked for something out of the box - even the clutch remains unchanged.

I was thinking that I will be able to drive this car upto atleast 3lac KM, but NGT ban in Delhi NCR has really screwed those plans, althought the car is in great shape but will have to part ways in coming months - Sad but true. View attachment 298386
Unfortunately, my experience with the Chevrolet ASC had been so poor.
The car had to start issues from the time of purchase and it had to be towed to the service center 2 times. They didn't fix it both times and it used to pop up every now and then and used to get solved by itself.
No error codes, or any other obvious faults but the car simply doesn't start as if there is no fuel. They even changed the fuel pump under warranty but it was useless.
It was only after some 6 or 7 years of ownership and regular service at Chevrolet ASC that they found out that it was a 300 Rs relay that was causing it. I felt so stupid for not going outside the ASC, any competent mechanic would have found it way sooner! I spent tens of thousands on towing just because of this!
They used to overhaul the brake system on every yearly service claiming it's a standard procedure! And they messed up something while putting it back on and the whole brake system on the car failed. Those people made me change the whole braking system excluding brake lines. That's master cylinder, all calipers, disc, drums, booster what all not! These are all stuff that has a very low probability of failing and yet they managed to screw that up. Whatever they haven't touched in the car is all fine and working well.
They used to fill some random oil in the car and used to bill it as Total Quartz 7000 5W30. I always had a doubt about it since it felt thicker than what a 5W30 normally is. The engine was also very lethargic to rev and felt as if there is some restriction.
Throughout our 8 years of ownership, we drove the car like this and thought it is how it is. It was impossible to perform an overtake in this car and it felt as if it was some 30 bhp car. ASC always said this is how it is from the factory.
It was sort of the same feeling I got when I filled thicker engine oils in my bike. As described in this thread, for the first time, I bought my own 5W30 oil and changed it outside. I felt a huge difference after this, The vehicle is more silent, revs faster, and it's more punchy and fuel-efficient. We were surprised by how this car performed after that. Even my father couldn't believe it and he regretted taking the car to the ASC till now. Can you even think about the pain we had to live with such a low torque crappy car for 8 years which we used to hate every time we stepped on the gas? So awful! I hope no one goes through this ever!
The service center also has this change the whole part mentality rather than changing the individual part. Asked me to change the lower arm since they don't sell lower arm bush!
This was enough red flags for me to stop going back there. I am glad that it's working out well for you. But sadly the ASC near my place is pathetic.

For the first time in 9 years of ownership, we enjoy driving this car! Only because I decided enough is enough and took it outside the ASC. I have no regrets and I will never go back to the ASC again!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
Old mounting bush and bearing. The bearing is made in Germany.
It was a huge mistake to use the Technix Rs. 150 bearing that came with the kit during the overhaul. The left side bearing failed within 2000 km and it's making 'tak tak' sound while turning the steering at a standstill.
As it turned out, the OEM Made in Germany bearing was a Febi Bilstein/SACHS one shared with Audi TT, VW Polo, Chevrolet Spark, etc. The OEM part costs about 700+ So, everyone, don't use cheap Technix bearings as they'll fail so quickly.
The old one was intact and I had kept them after the overhaul. Planning to install it back in the shock.

1657383706657.png

Thread Starter #22
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-12 at 00.43.55.jpeg

Had a 500 km road trip in the car to Thekkady, which is a hill station in Kerala and Cumbum.
Before the trip, I lifted the car on the jack and made sure all wheels were spinning freely. Both rear wheels were kind of sticky at one point. I removed the rear brake cover and cleaned them, adjusted parking brakes and they were spinning freely again.

The car was trouble-free throughout the journey and returned an average FE of 14 KMPL with 3 passengers and luggage with AC 90% of the time.
Figured out that the car gives the best FE (18-19 KMPL) when driven in 5th gear at speeds between 70 and 80 KMPH.
Roads in Thekkady were some of the worst, if not the worst roads I have ever driven. The Monroe shocks and Good Year Assurance Triplemax 2 tires performed really well. Planning to get the same brand of tires for our Ignis as well.
The body roll of the car is unbelievably less for such a boring car and the car was stable in sharp corners even at decent speeds.
The car has run close to 5000 km since the last oil change (Shell Helix Taxi 5W30). The oil still looks yellowish and shows no signs of degradation or consumption. Really surprising for such a cheap oil. Definitely going to stick to the same.

Thread Starter #23
Replaced the high mount brake light bulbs(4 nos) with LED.
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-16 at 18.54.33.jpeg

The LED used was Super 2828 LED Parking Light T10 LED which costs Rs.84 a pair.
It is made in India by a Coimbatore-based company and lasts really long. I installed one in my FZ in 2018 and it's still good after 4 years.
This is a better choice than other Chinese LEDs with fancy heatshields and more LEDs that blow within a year.

Previously, it was 5W X 4 = 20W.
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-16 at 18.54.33 (1).jpeg

Now, 1.2W x 4 = 4.8 W
15W power saved.
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-16 at 18.55.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-16 at 18.53.56.jpeg

Also changed the wiper blades of the car with after-market wiper blades from Spark Minda, ordered through boodmo.
22 inch - Rs 213
15 inch - Rs 147
Also got the clip for the door from boodmo. The clip of Tata Harrier is compatible and costs half of the OEM.

1664039538634.png

Thread Starter #25
ODO at 36000.
Changed
  • Engine Oil (Shell Helix Taxi 5W30 3.5L, Rs 1289, Flipkart)
  • Zip Oil Filter (Rs.139. OEM filter costs Rs. 709 since it's imported from China, Boodmo)
  • Zip Fuel Filter (Rs.279, Boodmo)
  • AC Gas Refilled. (Rs.1000)
  • Labour Charges - Rs.400
Total - Rs.3107

The Shell Helix Taxi is really good oil. It helps up really well even after running 6000 km.
The fuel filter replacement is replaced after a long time and there is a slight increase in throttle input at lower RPMs.

Update on Monroe Shocks and Good Year Assurance Triplemax 2 Tyres
They are performing really well and the ride is so smooth.

Thread Starter #29
The car started making a tak tak sound recently. I found out that this sound was coming from the AC belt.
The belt was already on its way out since it was making squealing sounds in the rain.
Sail uses a 2 belt setup.
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.49.35 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.51.23 PM.jpeg

I decided to change both belts even though only one was damaged since both were of the same make and age.
Part Numbers
4PK966 (big belt)
4PK866 (small belt for AC compressor)
4PK966 was easy to source but the 4PK866 one was not available in boodmo or in local spare parts stores.
I was able to get 4PK865 from boodmo which was a replacement part. It was 1mm smaller. The number in the part number represents the length in mm.
+-3mm is allowed in belts.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.50.34 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.50.33 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.50.33 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 8.50.33 PM (2).jpeg

Parts Cost: 343 + 302 = 645.
The 4PK865 I ordered on boodmo was Gates brand. But I was given a Continental belt which was 2 years old.
Since I did not want to bother with returning it and ordering again, I went ahead with this.
Beware of this while ordering from boodmo. Before checkout, there is a checkbox to make sure that you will only be sent the exact part you ordered.
I got this installed from a trusty FNG. They charged me Rs. 300.
Total Cost: 945
The car now idles smooth like how it was from the factory.
I am 100% sure that my ASC would have replaced the pulleys as well and this would have gone north of 10K from my previous experiences.

deville_56

Honoured Member
The car started making a tak tak sound recently. I found out that this sound was coming from the AC belt.
The belt was already on its way out since it was making squealing sounds in the rain.
Sail uses a 2 belt setup.
View attachment 315223
View attachment 315226
I decided to change both belts even though only one was damaged since both were of the same make and age.
Part Numbers
4PK966 (big belt)
4PK866 (small belt for AC compressor)
4PK966 was easy to source but the 4PK866 one was not available in boodmo or in local spare parts stores.
I was able to get 4PK865 from boodmo which was a replacement part. It was 1mm smaller. The number in the part number represents the length in mm.
+-3mm is allowed in belts.

View attachment 315224
View attachment 315225
View attachment 315227
View attachment 315228
Parts Cost: 343 + 302 = 645.
The 4PK865 I ordered on boodmo was Gates brand. But I was given a Continental belt which was 2 years old.
Since I did not want to bother with returning it and ordering again, I went ahead with this.
Beware of this while ordering from boodmo. Before checkout, there is a checkbox to make sure that you will only be sent the exact part you ordered.
I got this installed from a trusty FNG. They charged me Rs. 300.
Total Cost: 945
The car now idles smooth like how it was from the factory.
I am 100% sure that my ASC would have replaced the pulleys as well and this would have gone north of 10K from my previous experiences.
Beat's belt also started slipping at the torque-building rpms with AC on. Belt started cracking. Was thinking of Contitech, now OptiBelt seems to be an option. OE belt is Made in China.

Top Bottom