License To Ride a Scooter At 16 Years of Age?

350Z

Core Team
I won’t support those “illegal” ways of riding. If an under-age person is so keen on riding a bike, I’d say keep practicing on an open ground which will eventually give you more confidence and soon in a couple of years when you are legally allowed to ride, You’ll find yourself to be an expert rider among many others who just learn only at 18. Again, but just make sure to wear helmets and drive on an empty ground.

Drive Safe,
350Z

buddy you know what? i learnt driving a "4 wheeler" at the age of 10 and i was quite perfect with driving at that time itself. but still dad never used to allw me to drive on open roads. so i always used to drive in my colony at night after 11 or before 6 in the morning or on open grounds and started driving on roads just 3 years back after i legally got my license. so it should not be very difficult for you to wait another 2 years when i waited for almost 8 years for a license. anyways you could still get a legal license for a scooty and drive it around freely. but always make sure about the safety of yourself as well as others around you.

Guys, i am going off-topic. I heard from a friend of mine that i can get a licence to ride a scooter when i turn 16. Is that true? Does it have something to do with the scooters being automatic or what? I am very desperate to have personal means of mobility, and would love to get a scooter this May. [:D] Help me out!
Yes it is correct
When i was 17 i got license for gear less scooter
& drove Honda DIO with no hesitation
(I am 5'11" so no one shouldn't said i am under 18 )

Its not whether the cops get you or not. I'll let you know what happened to a client of mine. This guy had a Kinetic Honda. He had a son who was 16 and in school. He allowed his kid to take the scooter for short spins,like to buy milk and other groceries. One day the kid takes his dad's scooter early in the morning and goes to buy milk. On approaching a junction.(Its a sub urban area and not with lot of traffic and cops are virtually non-existent in the vicinity. Now there comes a guy jogging and he was about to cross to the other side,the kid brakes,the guy stops and he suddenly takes a step back seeing the scooter suddenly. The kid knocks the guy down,he falls down head hitting on the asphalt a little hard. The injured jogger is taken to the hospital,he dies on the following day succumbing to his injuries. Now about the kid's father,he was a small time farmer with around one and a half acres of land. The jogger turns out to be a senior doctor. The doctor's family file a claims case. The insurance company states that there is a violation of their policy conditions as the scooter was being rode by an under age person and that the owner,the kid's dad knowingly allowed his son to ride his scooter. So the court gave a verdict ordering the owner of the scooter to pay 18,25,000 in compensation to the deceased's family. This guy went on appeal to the high court. The high court also upheld the ruling of the lower court. So what this guy does? He sells a major portion of his property to pay off the compensation.
Bottom line is dont ever ride a vehicle if you are without a licence. I too had driven vehicles when I was a kid,but nowadays traffic has increased much more and the probability of accidents are huge. So please wait from riding until you get a licence or ride on private grounds or roads if you are that keen as 350Z has said.

Thread Starter #20
I may probably even get away riding a gearless scooter, but the problem is that i don't look very big! Standing at 5'3, I look like a 7th grader. Nevertheless, I think i will go ahead and get a scoot, because honing my riding skills is not my main aim. Solving the problem of transportation is.

350Z

Core Team
See, You'll need to compromise one of them anyway. Choose the riding pleasure or just transportation. If transportation is a main concern then why not simply pick the under 50cc two wheeler and better go a legal way too?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #22
See, You'll need to compromise one of them anyway. Choose the riding pleasure or just transportation. If transportation is a main concern then why not simply pick the under 50cc two wheeler and better go a legal way too?

Drive Safe,
350Z
You see, I am way too much of a nit-picker. And moreover, I don't have many "good" choices in that 50cc segment. Hence the confusion. :biggrin:

Folks, I have decided to get myself a gearless scooter rider's licence. But the thing is, how do i do it? Where do I apply? What documents will be required? Can anyone help me out with some references in Mumbai? [confused]

Well the general procedure is:

1.First go to your RTO at around 8:00am and buy the form required and fill it.

2.Keep your passport size photograps , glue , pen , photocopies and original of your birth certificate , your ID card( to prove your age) and your family's ration card also!

3.Fill the form , stand in the correct queue (do all this before 9) and get the license form!!

4. I think you will have to undergo an online test also before getting your license, but don worry they will help you out if you don know the answers and besides it wont be too tough either!

Take some friend along with you as he may do some work for you while you stand in the queue(like getting the form , photocopying etc)

If you don get it the first day then get to know all the correct procedures which needs to be followed and go again the next day itself , don lose hope or get frustrated!! I had to go for 3 days to get my license!

These are the steps which are followed in Chennai and i hope its the same everywhere!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Sorry for bumping an old friend, but does any scooter exist in this segment(<50cc)?

I won’t support those “illegal” ways of riding. If an under-age person is so keen on riding a bike, I’d say keep practicing on an open ground which will eventually give you more confidence and soon in a couple of years when you are legally allowed to ride, You’ll find yourself to be an expert rider among many others who just learn only at 18. Again, but just make sure to wear helmets and drive on an empty ground.

Drive Safe,
350Z
100% for 350Z. Even there were so many debates about allowing my son to ride my bike. I used to tell them the same thing. Everything has to be done on specific age. This was fixed by transport department taking so many things into consideration. So I have told my friends a strict NO for that. If possible I will get a electric scooter [even a used one in case of new one cost a lot] till he reach the age of riding a gear/gear-less scooter.

Its not whether the cops get you or not. I'll let you know what happened to a client of mine. This guy had a Kinetic Honda. He had a son who was 16 and in school. He allowed his kid to take the scooter for short spins,like to buy milk and other groceries. One day the kid takes his dad's scooter early in the morning and goes to buy milk. On approaching a junction.(Its a sub urban area and not with lot of traffic and cops are virtually non-existent in the vicinity. Now there comes a guy jogging and he was about to cross to the other side,the kid brakes,the guy stops and he suddenly takes a step back seeing the scooter suddenly. The kid knocks the guy down,he falls down head hitting on the asphalt a little hard. The injured jogger is taken to the hospital,he dies on the following day succumbing to his injuries. Now about the kid's father,he was a small time farmer with around one and a half acres of land. The jogger turns out to be a senior doctor. The doctor's family file a claims case. The insurance company states that there is a violation of their policy conditions as the scooter was being rode by an under age person and that the owner,the kid's dad knowingly allowed his son to ride his scooter. So the court gave a verdict ordering the owner of the scooter to pay 18,25,000 in compensation to the deceased's family. This guy went on appeal to the high court. The high court also upheld the ruling of the lower court. So what this guy does? He sells a major portion of his property to pay off the compensation.
Bottom line is dont ever ride a vehicle if you are without a licence. I too had driven vehicles when I was a kid,but nowadays traffic has increased much more and the probability of accidents are huge. So please wait from riding until you get a licence or ride on private grounds or roads if you are that keen as 350Z has said.
This is a classic example. Even though you can drive a vehicle nicely, we have to obey the laws in the contry. untill everything is right you can go with it. all problems will come only when something went wrong.

I know in my apartment, a family who were leaving couple of years back allow their 4th standard son to drive a car. I used to mention the same thing. Even he was allowed to take care out of parking in reverse. I myself worried about taking reverse in our apartment since lot small kidos play in that area without any fear being it is dead end. When you see no one will be there and suddenly a kid will cross without even your knowledge. The worst part is they dont even visible in your rear view mirror since they are small and below the rear door window. That is the main reason I have fixed reverse camera in my car.

You see, I am way too much of a nit-picker. And moreover, I don't have many "good" choices in that 50cc segment. Hence the confusion. :biggrin:

Folks, I have decided to get myself a gear-less scooter rider's licence. But the thing is, how do i do it? Where do I apply? What documents will be required? Can anyone help me out with some references in Mumbai? [confused]
Does that means you can get a gear-less scooter rider's licence even when you are 16?

Sorry for bumping an old friend, but does any scooter exist in this segment(<50cc)?
To my knowledge only vehicle available are the E-Bikes in that segment which you can not go beyond 30-35 speed.

Cool. There are no scooter present in market now below 50cc.

Seems like its been more than 2 years since the thread has been started. Amaan must have turned 18 now. [:D]

Learner's License For Scooter

Hello. I am 16 years old and live in Karnataka. I wish to apply for a Learner's License for a Motor Cycle without Gear. The vehicle I wish to use the license for is a Hero Honda Pleasure. Will I be able to use the license for public use? Or is there an engine capacity limitation that prevents me from doing so?

Re: Learner's License For Scooter

Hello. I am 16 years old and live in Karnataka. I wish to apply for a Learner's License for a Motor Cycle without Gear. The vehicle I wish to use the license for is a Hero Honda Pleasure. Will I be able to use the license for public use? Or is there an engine capacity limitation that prevents me from doing so?
You cannot drive anything beyond 60CC capacity gearless scooter which arent availabe now in market, you can check the thread starter where options which you can ride mostly a scooty teenz or something with 70 cc you can which cop might not stop you for, but if caught and checked you are liable for penelty.

Re: Learner's License For Scooter

You cannot drive anything beyond 60CC capacity gearless scooter which arent availabe now in market, you can check the thread starter where options which you can ride mostly a scooty teenz or something with 70 cc you can which cop might not stop you for, but if caught and checked you are liable for penelty.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to the RTO tomorrow as my Dad has some work there.

Anyone who has got the non gear 50 cc license can you please tell me the exact procedure to procure that..?
Please help me fast.. and what vehicle you used to procure license ?

Top Bottom