Leh - Ladakh Road Trip in Mahindra Scorpio

Thread Starter #16
Awesome trip Avindu and the pictures are superb I must say[thumbsup]. A trip(Preferebly on a bike) to Ladakh-Leh-Khardungla is still my dream and dont know when I can finally make it a reality. For me, This is the true land of Gods!
Thank you jalex. Its definitely a biker's paradise. If you're passionate about biking, you'll love riding in these terrains. Good luck to you.

Great travelogue supported by awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing with us Avindu. As you mentioned pictures are not actually giving the 10% of the idea how that place actually is. Just AWESOME.

Hungry for more pictures.
Thank you shailinder. I'm trying everything I can to share my experience but the pics don't do any justice at all. I'm glad you liked them.

ilango[speed thirst];104564 said:
Cool one man , congrats ..

Pushes me to do one trip soon!

good going , expecting more , :)
Thanks ilango. Will share as much as I can today.

Mind-blowing pics Avindu,

I found some yellow strips at headlight.

Is it mandatory? While starting from B'lore i have not seen any yellow strips at your headlights.
where you pasted it?

I have some doubts.

Did you took your car original documents with you?
Is cops enquired or checked at any borders?

Thread Starter #18
I wanted to cross Zoji-la before dark, however there was a massive jam. Just as I thought, we would be stuck for the night, a truck driver said to go back and take an alternate route. Luckily, there was just one truck behind us. Somehow managed to reverse and took the alternate route. Lucky for the first time.

DSCN0698.JPG

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0703.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

It was very cold outside and getting dark. So, some of them came out blurred. Sorry about the quality of these pics.

DSCN0709.jpg

DSCN0716.jpg

I missed Tiger Hill as it was past 7. There were patches of tarred roads, but it is pain to drive in the dark. I should have learnt something out of this, but situations forced me to do a lot more than I had imagined, during this trip.

We reached Kargil around 11 PM and luckily found a place to stay.

Tuesday, 13th September

I had read a lot about Zanskar Valley and was keen to make it to Padum. The distance was about 240Kms. Since, we reached Kargil late in the night, was unable to wake up early and we left around 8 AM. Hardly a couple of hours into the drive, I knew it would take us a lot of time to reach Padum.

The roads are muddy, filled with gravel stones and the uneven surface makes sure that you cannot go beyond 20 or 30 kph.

The roads were getting worst and I knew I cannot drive anymore. Initially thought of staying at Rangdum and go to Padum the following day, but that would take 2 more days and also I have to drive back on the same road again. So, thought to myself, leave these roads to the experts to drive and decided to skip Padum.

Few pictures on the way.

DSCN0722.jpg

DSCN0723.jpg

Saw a lot of these colourful birds.

DSCN0726.jpg

Marmot : This fellow ran across the road. Stopped for a few seconds and disappeared behind the rocks.

DSCN0730.jpg

U-Turn

DSCN0737.JPG

Few pics of the Nun-Kun Glaciers. Needles to say, they were Gigantic.

DSCN0742.jpg

DSCN0743.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg

We reached Kargil around 6 PM and checked into a different hotel.

Wednesday, 14th September

Kargil to Leh, is about 230 Kms. The roads till Mulbekh is not in a great shape. It was pretty much similar to the road to Zanskar.

From Mulbekh it was a bliss to drive, on the freshly laid tar roads.

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0750.JPG

Loved every bit of this drive. Splendid views.

DSCN0766.jpg

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0772.jpg

DSCN0773.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

SUPERB buddy. I have always wanted to do one such trip. And the scorpio is a perfect companion for such trips. Sadly, the car is not with me anymore, so any such hopes in the future looks bleak.

This is by far one of the most beautiful and well explained journey dude. Supperr... Really awesome. Keep it up. Lovely pictures too. [cheers]

@Avinash: Avinash glad to know you conquered the mother of all trips.

Well if i do Leh in my Hawk i would surely consult you.
May be it may take another 2 years for me to consider this trip.

The pics are amazing , i am feeling the joy that the hawk covered this trip, with no problems what so ever, and the care you have taken of your hawk.
And how was the cranking of vehicle in cold starts, did you keep the engine running?
Did they fire in 1st crank.

Waiting for more of your experiences.

SUPERB buddy. I have always wanted to do one such trip. And the scorpio is a perfect companion for such trips. Sadly, the car is not with me anymore, so any such hopes in the future looks bleak.
Raj hope you will conquer it with XUV5OO.[;)]

Thread Starter #22
Mind-blowing pics Avindu,

I found some yellow strips at headlight.

Is it mandatory? While starting from B'lore i have not seen any yellow strips at your headlights.
where you pasted it?
Good question. Yes, its mandatory. Its for the cops in GJ/PB/RJ. Its intention is basically to cause a yellow reflection, when driving in fog, for the vehicles coming in the opposite direction.

I put them just before entering GJ, near Godhbandar.

Did you took your car original documents with you?
Is cops enquired or checked at any borders?
Yes. I carried all the original documents and carried 5 sets of photocopies. I was asked for the documents once in Ahmedabad and the 2nd time, while coming back, in Delhi.

Both times they asked me about the Tinted glass and told them I was not aware of it. They did not cause any trouble.

Thanks Raj. Well there are guys, who have taken Swifts and Alto's in these terrains. So, you may wanna start preparing your Punto. You might be the first one to take it there.

This is by far one of the most beautiful and well explained journey dude. Supperr... Really awesome. Keep it up. Lovely pictures too. [cheers]
Thank you Monil.

@Avinash: Avinash glad to know you conquered the mother of all trips
Thanks a lot buddy.

Well if i do Leh in my Hawk i would surely consult you.
May be it may take another 2 years for me to consider this trip
Go ahead and plan it. You'll have the time of your life for sure.

And how was the cranking of vehicle in cold starts, did you keep the engine running?
Did they fire in 1st crank
Almost 8 to 10 days of this trip, we left at 5 or 6 in the morning and the temperature's below 0 degrees. Every time, he came to life at the very first crank.

Was there any strange behaviour with TPMS, what temperature it used to show?
Had you filled tyres with normal air/ Nitrogen?

I can't understand why these cops are behind tints.
I was fined 100 in Goa, while they left more darker tints of Goa vehicles without stopping them.

Lovely travelogue buddy. Your pictures themselves speak about your trip. You must have had the time of your life. Congrats for your mind blowing expedition [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #25
Continuation of the pics from Kargil to Leh

A common sight on this stretch.

DSCN0778.jpg

Roads kept getting better..

DSCN0787.jpg

..so were the views

DSCN0793.jpg

Some good stretch of roads..

DSCN0794.jpg

..some bad

DSCN0799.jpg

Splendid views continued..

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

The First 'La' of our trip.(La means, a 'Pass')

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

Uncle was enjoying too.

DSCN0825.jpg

So True.

DSCN0827.jpg

This was something unique. Looked awesome.

DSCN0835.jpg

Aint those curves attractive?

DSCN0848.jpg

Yipee, less than 100 Kms to Leh.

DSCN0858.jpg

The roads were getting better..

DSCN0866.jpg

..so were the scenaries.

DSCN0867.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

Then, as though someone wanted me to control my emotions.

DSCN0874.jpg

Will continue with the rest of the story tomorrow.

Raj hope you will conquer it with XUV5OO.[;)]
Watch this space for more. [glasses] [thumbsup]

Thanks Raj. Well there are guys, who have taken Swifts and Alto's in these terrains. So, you may wanna start preparing your Punto. You might be the first one to take it there.
Well, my punto grounds even on Mumbai's roads! And I pamper her too much to take her to Ladakh !!!

Awesome Pics,
I like all pics especially,
1.FOTULA top pic,
2.top view of single Tanker in the cure,
3.Abandoned road with yellow strips,
& the last pic

What are the states banned the black-tints?
Are you faced any communication problem?
Which food variety is famous on those areas?

one selfish question,

Is my Black Indica can able to face those roads?[thinking]

@Avindu:
First of all congratulations for such a detailed travelogue. Its one of a lifetime drive taking vehicle across the country. And Scorpio is best for such rugged use.

I am glued to your plans as I plan for the same trip next year. Just wanted to check if you booked the hotels before or just checked in as and when you reached destinations. While coming back did you came through the same Bombay route or did you try the other GQ through Kolkata.

Any negative/cautious situations came across or to be aware during these routes/places?

Of course, hats-off to Indian army for keeping these areas with good tarmac as well.

This is heaven on earth. Awesome pictures and a very good trip to go for. Can you share closeups of Tiger Hill, if you have?

Thread Starter #30
Was there any strange behaviour with TPMS, what temperature it used to show?
Had you filled tyres with normal air/ Nitrogen?
Yes, the TPMS was showing different numbers, especially after a long stretch of drive. May be because of the heat. 2 tyres were showing 34 and two of them 27. However, I checked it using my tyre pressure gauge and all of them displayed 32.

I used Nitrogen. Checked the pressure, in Leh and then once in Manali. Both times it was 32. So, never had to top-up.

I can't understand why these cops are behind tints.
I was fined 100 in Goa, while they left more darker tints of Goa vehicles without stopping them.
There is a lot of security check in the north. Especially in Delhi. However, I found the local cars (DL registered) had tints. The cops get finicky only when they see an outsider.

Lovely travelogue buddy. Your pictures themselves speak about your trip. You must have had the time of your life. Congrats for your mind blowing expedition [thumbsup]
Thank you carfreak. Definitely yes. I have to find a place to drive, if it had to get any better than this.

Watch this space for more.
Looks like you have something up your sleeve.

Well, my punto grounds even on Mumbai's roads! And I pamper her too much to take her to Ladakh !!!
I know, its very risky to take it there.

Awesome Pics,
I like all pics especially,
1.FOTULA top pic,
2.top view of single Tanker in the cure,
3.Abandoned road with yellow strips,
& the last pic
Thanks again AppU.

What are the states banned the black-tints?
Are you faced any communication problem?
Which food variety is famous on those areas?
Tints are allowed but not those extreme darked tints. There is some percentage calculated, but you cannot explain these to the cops. So, I lowered all the 4 windows, in Delhi and Srinagar. There is no problem in MH/GJ/RJ/PB/HP/HR.

one selfish question,

Is my Black Indica can able to face those roads?[thinking]
If you're passionate about your car, I would suggest not to take it. I know guys who have taken their Swift/Ritz/Linea/SX4 etc. They all have had underbody hits and massive damage.

@Avindu:
First of all congratulations for such a detailed travelogue. Its one of a lifetime drive taking vehicle across the country. And Scorpio is best for such rugged use
Thank you white-rhino. Absolutely. The Scorp was a bliss to drive on those terrains.

I am glued to your plans as I plan for the same trip next year. Just wanted to check if you booked the hotels before or just checked in as and when you reached destinations. While coming back did you came through the same Bombay route or did you try the other GQ through Kolkata
I dint book hotels anywhere. I planned it for September because it is off-season. So, no matter where we went, the rooms were readily available. We found rooms at 11 P.M (once in Udhampur and once in Kargil). Both times, we told them how much we will pay and they agreed. Some advantages of going in an off-season.

Any negative/cautious situations came across or to be aware during these routes/places?
Absolutely nothing. Its completely safe. I had carried a knife and pepper spray for safety, but not once we came across something unusual or any suspicious guys, to try the spray.

Of course, hats-off to Indian army for keeping these areas with good tarmac as well.
BRO indeed has done a good job, but at times we felt it could have been a lot better because the road from Leh to Manali was horrendous. Will share that experience too.

Top Bottom