Learners License & Insurance Claim Validity

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am in need of urgent advice. Last week I met with an accident and my car got damaged. I have logged a claim however I am worrying if my claim is invalid due to the reason that I have learners license.

Otherwise its going to be a dent to my pocket.

Please advice.[confused]

According to the rules, when driving with a learners licence, you have to be accompanied by a person with a full valid licence for that class of vehicle. You will have to submit copies of both licences with the claim. Also the Panchanama should state this fact. If you were driving alone, your claim will be rejected.

Thread Starter #3
According to the rules, when driving with a learners licence, you have to be accompanied by a person with a full valid licence for that class of vehicle. You will have to submit copies of both licences with the claim. Also the Panchanama should state this fact. If you were driving alone, your claim will be rejected.

Thanks for the reply...

In my case I was driving with a friend who has a valid driving license. However I didn't filed any FIR with police. Please let me know if FIR is mandatory for insurance claim. Please note that no one got hurt, only my car got damaged. A private bus brushed against by front bumper (left side) while we both were trying to cross a square.

Any sort of advice is appreciated. And also if someone could let me know any further course of action would be an added advantage.

Thank you,

Regards,
Imran

if you hit another vehicle or human then FIR is required, if you hit a lamp post or wall or brick or parked on a tree then no FIR required.

And am not sure of the claim as nowadays many insurance companies change their rule according to the damage.

once a bajaj aliance guy told me engine is not covered under insurance[rules] and consequent damages aren't covered [rules]

Consequent damages example if the door is jammed and you forcefully opened it to get out of the smoking car then you damaged the door after the accident so it is not covered [confused]

Last edited:
@ MSN1 I don't think so , my Aria recently got involved in a minor accident but they din't ask for FIR while claiming insurance.

@ Hitman You have to get in contact with your insurer , most of them have different sets of rules.

Thread Starter #6
@ MSN1 I don't think so , my Aria recently got involved in a minor accident but they din't ask for FIR while claiming insurance.

@ Hitman You have to get in contact with your insurer , most of them have different sets of rules.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have already contacted my insurer (HDFC Ergo) however they seem to be a bit hesitant to process the claim saying that,
1. I only have Learner's License
2. There is no FIR, hence how can I prove.

However I have spoken straight forward showing my knowledge (though not much but I guess better than the person I spoke with) on this topic and he asked me to send across a detailed email describing the incident.

Just for information for TAI members who are trying to help me - I was accompanied by a friend of mine who is having a valid driving license. I didn't filed an FIR because as per my understanding it was not mandatory as no one got injured.

After considering the given information please let me know if my stand is correct. I will also update this thread with further details once I have got some from my Insurer.

Regards,
Imran

In my case I was driving with a friend who has a valid driving license.
So you're ok here.

However I didn't filed any FIR with police.
Here's your mistake. Try and file one now.

Please let me know if FIR is mandatory for insurance claim. Please note that no one got hurt, only my car got damaged. A private bus brushed against by front bumper (left side) while we both were trying to cross a square.
It is if any third party is involved, whether there is any injury or not does not matter.

Any sort of advice is appreciated. And also if someone could let me know any further course of action would be an added advantage.
Try and file a FIR ASAP. If the cops don't agree, then don't mention anything about the bus in the claim form. Just say you banged against a wall.

I have already contacted my insurer (HDFC Ergo) however they seem to be a bit hesitant to process the claim saying that,
1. I only have Learner's License
2. There is no FIR, hence how can I prove.
Tell them to check the MV Act. Show that you have knowledge of the laws. They will not act smart.

However I have spoken straight forward showing my knowledge (though not much but I guess better than the person I spoke with) on this topic and he asked me to send across a detailed email describing the incident.
Don't send any mail as yet. First see if you can get the FIR. That is the best. Otherwise see if they agree to change your statement and remove any mention of the bus. Only once they agree then send the mail.

@ Peter But TATA AIG did not ask any FIR when i claimed insurance last year , how is it so? My accident also involved a third party.

Hi Guys,

I am in need of urgent advice. Last week I met with an accident and my car got damaged. I have logged a claim however I am worrying if my claim is invalid due to the reason that I have learners license.

Please advice.[confused]
Hi Guys,

Please advice.[confused]
Hey man did you get the claims. I am facing similar problem

Top Bottom