Large ICE Screen: Boon Or Bane For Indian Drivers?

Do you like Car cockpit with large screens or you prefer minimalism?

• Yes, Bigger the better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Lately we have been seeing cars coming with bigger and bigger ICE displays.
there were days when we had a small 2 inch display for ICE, which grew to 5 inches, 7 inches 8 inches now we have humongous 12/13 inches tablet sized screen in Hector Twins, Seltos, Creta and Harrier not far behind with 8 inches display.
The yet to be launched Cadillac electric SUV is coming with huge 33 inches display.

My question is, is this size of displays required for cars? Mind you these are not aeroplanes where pilot has to look at the cockpit dials and screens almost 95% of the time. Here on roads in India at least 95% of the time driver has to look at the road, watch out for those
  • maniacs behind wheels,
  • or that reckless two wheeler guy hell bent on loosing his life
  • or that uncle driving at 30KMPH on a fast lane
  • or that guy overtaking from wrong side
  • and that aunty appearing out of nowhere crossing the busy road by simply waving her hand,
  • or that tractor guy suddenly appearing to bisect the highway lane
  • or those cattle resting or dogs cross or cats crossing
  • and occasionally you see deer sprint across
  • or may be if you are lucky you find yourself hitting the leopard,
  • and how can we forget that traffic cop hiding and coming right in front of your car to challan you.
So with all so many of factors of surprises on Indian roads, do you think it is wise for the driver to have lots of distraction in terms of screen on dials and ice and what nots?

This is my view where there should be a limit on how much screens to be used in cars. At least in India. For Self drive cars probably more screens, may be an office desk would do, but then we too have seen how automous drivers have lost their lives or taken a few lives.

So in a nutshell what ever the car, where ever the car, whoever is driving the car, should there be so much of distraction for driver?

Arent we already distracted with a 6 inch screen in our hand we call it a phone. We have missed the deadlines, appointments, and most importantly sleep with that device in our hand why do we need similar such distraction while driving?

PS:

Personally I am in love with screens, I love bigger and bigger phones, with better and better screen. Even I lust for a car cockpit like car, however, I feel happy that my saner brain has taken over my crazy heart and I prefer minimalistic display tech in car. My Storme has traditional one din player with capable bluetooth to take my call, I have added a bluetooth receiver to play songs from my phones and talk as well. So I am more than connected from driving point of view. Some times I feel to have a HUD or a big Touchscreen ice fitted in my car but my sane mind is powerful enough to deter me from do it.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Well, a very much needed thread. A topic worth discussing.[music]

I am from the tape recorder / cassette player generation hence I am not conversant with the touchscreens being provided nowadays. In my car, the OEM fixed screen is there and so far have barely touched it. I don't believe in fiddling with it neither I am aware of many of it's functions / features. My use of the Screen is to simply display the rear cam visuals properly and play the song without any issues through pen drives. However, my driver was much more aware of linking phone to screen and receiving calls and playing phone media on it. Hence, in my opinion, any entertainment equipment in the car should add to the driving pleasure instead of being a obstruction or a distraction.

Lastly, I have no issues being called an ICE Illiterate because I indeed don't have high knowledge of it.

Regards
Akash

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I prefer the second option (and voted for it).

When we are in the driving seat, I doubt it is possible to concentrate on the ICE screens. May be more enjoyment of the others who sit in the car. If your aim is safe drive, then you have to concentrate on the road and not the screens inside.

Recently, I have read an article wherein the UK government is thinking in the same line and they want to investigate about Distracting car infotainment screens which leads into more road accidents.

Part of the article reads '' Ministers are worried that while accident rates were consistently falling until 2010, the last decade has seen a “plateauing of casualty figures” rather than a reduction. One of the issues being investigated is the role that the “increasing sources of potential distraction” presented by “advances in car infotainment systems and mobile phone technology” could be playing in preventing accident rates from falling.''

( Read the full article, if anyone interested)

Thread Starter #4
I prefer the second option (and voted for it).

Recently, I have read an article wherein the UK government is thinking in the same line and they want to investigate about Distracting car infotainment screens which leads into more road accidents.
( Read the full article, if anyone interested)
Wow never knew about this article. @Nairrk you really very very informed on Automotive sector. I wish that some one would have thought about it but glad to know that government institution are looking into it.

Top Bottom