Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern

Which one of these is a safer car in your opinion?

• Maruti Swift

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Hyundai i10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyundai i20

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Ford Figo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevrolet Beat

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Volkswagen Polo

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Tata Indica Vista

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Fiat Grande Punto

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Skoda Fabia

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tata Indigo Manza

• Volkswagen Vento / Skoda Rapid

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Maruti Swift Dzire

• Honda City

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Hyundai Verna

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Fiat Linea

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters
Re: Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern?

@Vaibhav

Even then people will try n buy cheaper variant without any safety features, if available. Road safety shouldbe taught in schools and at home from a very tender age. Clubbed with congenial environment by others and safety features full cars. Then only we can say that now standard of Indian cars have increased. Which actually be a result of mixture of above points or may be more.

Govt. Alone cannot do anything. We as citizens of our country should also contribute. I am teaching my kids about road signs and other things.

I think people in India still lacks the general information or importance of need of this safety features.

Lets take an scenario here:
I as a prospect buyer go to dealer (any car company) to buy a new car.
Me : I want to buy a new car, show me XYZ car, I have nailed down to this.
SE : Sir, this car have 4 editions in it.
Me : Whats there in top end model that's not provided in lower versions.
SE : Sir, ACC, vlue & me, ABS, EBD, airbags, etc.
Me : What is ABS?
SE : ABS is some mechanism, that will help in emergency braking when you are at higher speed.
Me : Ok, See I dont need all this things, I dont drive fast so ABS and airbags are out of my list. I am sedate driver, driving safely on side of the road.[:)]

But during this entire buying scene, I missed out the point that I am a sedate driver , but people around me are not. Just read on other forum that guy and his wife were travelling in PUNTO and PUNTO was sandwiched between two trucks when they were waiting at signal and truck hit them from behind. Guy clearly said that they are alive because of Airbags. See here guy might be sedate driver, was not even driving, was waiting at signal. For no mistake of him his life was at danger of being killed by some rash truck driving.

So I think, it's the people who buy those products. Company always have option from which you could choose from. People choose to save 35,000 odd rupees as against their own and loved one's lives. If there is no demand for non ABS and non airbags equipped car, then companies will stop manufacturing it. [:D]

Thread Starter #18
One more way out to make the safety equipments in cars is to tax free those compulsory things like abs and airbag. What we can do is avoid the vehicles without proper safety, to force the manufacturer make better vehicles,

BTW guys i have also seen that braking is a major problem in dezire, if they can make them better things will become much simpler.

Do not think that if we bunch of people will discuss it here no one is listening. TAI has provided us a common platform to express our thoughts, so we should use it wisely. People who are going to purchase will definitely think twice after reading this thread.

I think people in India still lacks the general information or importance of need of this safety features.
Thanks for this post buddy, i was just going to tell about cuty red but you did, anyways good going.

Last edited by a moderator:

If manufacturer is selling you faulty product, who would you think will raise the voice in your behalf? Obviously its you.
First of all it our duty to raise the voice as its our hard earned money which they are looting easily. Then we have the authority to blame others.
Buddy, here we are discussing whether the cars we buy are under equipped when it comes to safety. If quality of the cars we buy is not satisfactory we must raise our voice. In when it comes to safety, in the Indian context its the Govt which can act well for protecting the interest of the customers.
All the car companies would try to minimise the cost. They cut down ABS, Airbags etc from the different variants to make them affordable and attractively priced.
How can a manufacturer in a market like India (where there is no mandatory regulations from the Govt) sell all the variants of a model car (all variants having ABS and Driver Air Bags)heavily priced when compared to similar cars from other manufacturers(low priced) which are termed low priced by cutting down the above mentioned safety features .
Thats why I told the Govt. or a combined resolution by the car manufacturers can only make a change.

Who says that manufacturs are not selling abs and airbags loaded car. How many are actually interested to pay more for these features
+1000. These question is quite relevant.

Thread Starter #20

what we can do now is just pin point the vehicles which are low on safety front, in our view along with the reason. So as to make people aware of the cars prone to safety issues.
It'll help all of us in a positive way.

Last edited:

Hey
What i Feel is if the government makes ABS/airbags compulsory then cost per unit will go down to economies of scale. Hence if a top model is 1 lac more , it will become Rs 50k more expensive only
I think Govt must make these things compulsory . At the most people will buy a range lower car. But HEEL YEAH it will be safer
Whenever governments say compulsory, then the manufacturers will be ready with those third graded airbags will never gets open in an accident[;)]

Lets take an scenario here:
I as a prospect buyer go to dealer (any car company) to buy a new car.
Me : I want to buy a new car, show me XYZ car, I have nailed down to this.
SE : Sir, this car have 4 editions in it.
Me : Whats there in top end model that's not provided in lower versions.
SE : Sir, ACC, vlue & me, ABS, EBD, airbags, etc.
Me : What is ABS?
SE : ABS is some mechanism, that will help in emergency braking when you are at higher speed.
Me : Ok, See I dont need all this things, I dont drive fast so ABS and airbags are out of my list. I am sedate driver, driving safely on side of the road.

But during this entire buying scene, I missed out the point that I am a sedate driver , but people around me are not. Just read on other forum that guy and his wife were travelling in PUNTO and PUNTO was sandwiched between two trucks when they were waiting at signal and truck hit them from behind. Guy clearly said that they are alive because of Airbags. See here guy might be sedate driver, was not even driving, was waiting at signal. For no mistake of him his life was at danger of being killed by some rash truck driving.

So I think, it's the people who buy those products. Company always have option from which you could choose from. People choose to save 35,000 odd rupees as against their own and loved one's lives. If there is no demand for non ABS and non airbags equipped car, then companies will stop manufacturing it.
+100, unfortunately I was also one of them, who opted out the ABS,Airbags due to budget constraints and also thinking that I am a sedate driver[frustration].

Yes it is us who need to decide that what we want, when we say no to no ABS,Airbags car then what a manufacturer can do, he will get a model with that to compare with others.

I some times felt like I would have thought of it, but yes I will do this in future.

I want to share a accident took place 2 years back. my brother in law got married who work in Pune as a software engineer. After marriage I think after 2 months their in-laws have gone to Pune in a old model Swift Dzire car along with a friend and a relative to drop the girl at Pune. 5 members were on board and after dropping the girl in Pune, 4 of them went to Shirdi and were proceeding to Hyderabad. Both of their in-laws were seated in the rear seats and their friend was driving it and the relative who was the owner of the car was co-passenger for driver. The car hit by a Lorry at around 3am in the morning just 100km from Hyderabad. The driving guy died on the spot with multiple injuries as the Lorry rammed at driver seat. the co-driver person fell down out of the car as with the hit left door opened and he got with a head injury. Surprisingly both of their in-laws died on the spot with head hitting the top of the car as per the postmortem report, there were no any other injury to them. It was a really shocking and sad incident for us. I was really clues that what was wrong, the lorry guy or the strength of the car material or low roof of the car.

From then, I never liked swift or Dzire for that low roof reason !!
I just shared you this for evaluation of one model of car of a particular car.There were no air bags in it and I don't think even they were there the driving person could not be survived as the lorry directly hit on the driving side front door area !!

There were no air bags in it and I don't think even they were there the driving person could not be survived as the lorry directly hit on the driving side front door area !!
Air bags cannot protect from those kind of accidents.

Air bags are meant to protect our body from hitting on the car and prevent injuries mainly and some of those injuries could lead to death (and so saves life).

However, Air bags are effective in combination with seat belt and could be ineffective or useless if the person is not wearing seat belts.

IN this Europeans and fiat cars are safest
They have solid body

Whenever governments say compulsory, then the manufacturers will be ready with those third graded airbags will never gets open in an accident

+100, unfortunately I was also one of them, who opted out the ABS,Airbags due to budget constraints and also thinking that I am a sedate driver
This was quite a shocking story . Even if you have airbags ,abs in your car iam from ironrock school of driving safe sedate driving . But yes it's unfortunate that at times without our fault we have to face serious problems .
When I bought my car I was not even aware what abs does I had money to buy a model with abs and airbags but freinds told me its not required in India and only where ice and snow is there [frustration] so the mistake was from my side that I followed some advice of people who themselves were not in any position to give advice .

Thread Starter #27

Whenever governments say compulsory, then the manufacturers will be ready with those third graded airbags will never gets open in an accident[;)]
To address this issue there should be authority like euro-ncap, which'll only give clearance to the vehicles which'll be worthy enough.

+100, unfortunately I was also one of them, who opted out the ABS,Airbags due to budget constraints and also thinking that I am a sedate driver.
It happened because you were having a choice, whether not to choose them.
What if you didn't had the choice.

I want to share a accident took place 2 years back. my brother in law got married who work in Pune as a software engineer. After marriage I think after 2 months their in-laws have gone to Pune in a old model Swift Dzire car along with a friend and a relative to drop the girl at Pune. 5 members were on board and after dropping the girl in Pune, 4 of them went to Shirdi and were proceeding to Hyderabad. Both of their in-laws were seated in the rear seats and their friend was driving it and the relative who was the owner of the car was co-passenger for driver. The car hit by a Lorry at around 3am in the morning just 100km from Hyderabad. The driving guy died on the spot with multiple injuries as the Lorry rammed at driver seat. the co-driver person fell down out of the car as with the hit left door opened and he got with a head injury. Surprisingly both of their in-laws died on the spot with head hitting the top of the car as per the postmortem report, there were no any other injury to them. It was a really shocking and sad incident for us. I was really clues that what was wrong, the lorry guy or the strength of the car material or low roof of the car.
Sorry to here the incident.

Air bags cannot protect from those kind of accidents.

Air bags are meant to protect our body from hitting on the car and prevent injuries mainly and some of those injuries could lead to death (and so saves life).
See buddy only abs and airbags does not make a car safe, car should also be capable enough to avoid crashes as far as it can, by doing what a driver wants in that situation.

However, Air bags are effective in combination with seat belt and could be ineffective or useless if the person is not wearing seat belts.
+1000 cent from my side.

IN this Europeans and fiat cars are safest
They have solid body
If you consider body then tata is also good, even braking is good. Can't comment on the performance of abs equipped, as never driven any tata with abs.

This was quite a shocking story . Even if you have airbags ,abs in your car iam from ironrock school of driving safe sedate driving . But yes it's unfortunate that at times without our fault we have to face serious problems .
That is the time when devices like abs, ebd and airbag come into play, and most of the times can save life.

When I bought my car I was not even aware what abs does I had money to buy a model with abs and airbags but freinds told me its not required in India and only where ice and snow is there [frustration] so the mistake was from my side that I followed some advice of people who themselves were not in any position to give advice .
That is why i thought to start this thread, hope everyone will be benefited.

abs should be a regular feature in all models if everyone considers to be so important i don't fancy the idea of going in for abs and paying for a top end model

Top Bottom