Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern

Which one of these is a safer car in your opinion?

• Maruti Swift

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Hyundai i10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyundai i20

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Ford Figo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevrolet Beat

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Volkswagen Polo

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Tata Indica Vista

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Fiat Grande Punto

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Skoda Fabia

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tata Indigo Manza

• Volkswagen Vento / Skoda Rapid

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Maruti Swift Dzire

• Honda City

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Hyundai Verna

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Fiat Linea

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters
Re: Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern.

Most of the people here have a very wrong perception that "ALL MARUTI CARS ARE UNSAFE"!
Well, that is totally wrong!
I agree they are not as strong as a VW or Skoda or Fiat, but not all cars from Suzuki are weak and fragile...
Alto and Omni are examples of appalling safety due to low cost targets...
but now have a look at the Swift, Dzire, Ertiga and rest of all the products other than Alto K10 and Omni... they are much much better and safer because of better construction, metals and stiffness factor...
I was an Ertiga ZXI and am a Swift owner, so far as the statement concerned with swift/dzire its true. In case of ertiga I disagree. Just to cut on cost MS has built the ertiga with very low quality flimsy material. Once we were in the Manali Mall Road traffic jam and going bumper to bumper with hardly a speed of 3/5KMPH. I was looking at something pointed out by my better half in my right and suddenly, a BANG, my Ertiga hit the bumper of Innova in the front. The installed rear Bull Bar saved the Innova from getting even a single scratch. To my surprise Ertiga was badly hit with the front left headlight moved one inch inside the engine. The D pillar had a squeeze on the top, the bumper got dents in the left. This disappointed me, to my surprise the speed was hardly 3/5 KMPH and the first thing I did was sold my Ertiga after the trip from Manali. This is something which I never discussed in this forum earlier. All those Ertiga Owners out there pls forgive me, my intention is not to hurt your sentiments, however, be very very careful with your Ertigas.

Not quite as unsafe as you say! That is the effect of crumple zones and impact absorbing materials. Why don't you visit the thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/14425-luv-story-maruti-suzuki-ertiga.html and see all the post by some of the LUV owners. You can even see some high speed crashed LUV pics where in most of the incidents all of them were safe! I wouldn't say it is the safest or wholly safe, but it is surely not as unsafe as you have mentioned! The whole body is made of high tensile steel and box steels so that the cabin doesn't get affected mostly!

Before buying I went through all those available reviews by owners on all the forums including TAI. BTW thanks for sharing the link. Its always a joy to see owners with their new cars and reading their ownership reviews. Every word in the review reflects their confidence and joy to have made the right choice over the odds, disappointment comes only when the desired level of performance is not achieved by your proud and beloved choice. It pained me like anything when I saw my four month old Ertiga getting all the dents with just a very mild hit with speed almost zero. Again when I sold it after five months of purchase the feeling was heart breaking. Hence, I once again apologise if anyone's sentiment is hurt.

Before buying I went through all those available reviews by owners on all the forums including TAI. BTW thanks for sharing the link. Its always a joy to see owners with their new cars and reading their ownership reviews. Every word in the review reflects their confidence and joy to have made the right choice over the odds, disappointment comes only when the desired level of performance is not achieved by your proud and beloved choice. It pained me like anything when I saw my four month old Ertiga getting all the dents with just a very mild hit with speed almost zero. Again when I sold it after five months of purchase the feeling was heart breaking. Hence, I once again apologise if anyone's sentiment is hurt.
My family if I take as an example, in last 52 years of car ownership, we have changed around 14 cars, and surprisingly it has never been a MARUTI. Even my extended family and relatives share the same view. MARUTI has always been considered as a cramped dubba by us.. For cost effectiveness they keep safety features at the minimal and quality of things is flimsy.. Recently though SWIFT and above price bracketed cars from MARUTI have installed safety features and look sturdy, but then thorns like ERTIGA still stand out (and the same is pointed out by your experience as well).. SORRY Maruti, you still lack in convincing me with quality features. On other hand cars like FIAT / VOLVO / SKODA, in short european cars have safety features as primary concern (no comments on A.S.S and cost of ownership here).

My family if I take as an example, in last 52 years of car ownership, we have changed around 14 cars, and surprisingly it has never been a MARUTI. Even my extended family and relatives share the same view. MARUTI has always been considered as a cramped dubba by us.. For cost effectiveness they keep safety features at the minimal and quality of things is flimsy.. Recently though SWIFT and above price bracketed cars from MARUTI have installed safety features and look sturdy, but then thorns like ERTIGA still stand out (and the same is pointed out by your experience as well).. SORRY Maruti, you still lack in convincing me with quality features. On other hand cars like FIAT / VOLVO / SKODA, in short european cars have safety features as primary concern (no comments on A.S.S and cost of ownership here)
For your info, I have commented on the same in my previous comment sir! Understand what I have said.

There are two types of safety constructions: One is stiff and strong hard body which won't be crushed easily in an impact.
Other type is crumple zones and collapsible impact absorbing material construction. A hard body doesn't absorb the impact and transmits the shock into the cabin, whereas a collapsible impact absorbing body absorbs the impact and prevents the major shock entering the cabin and the cabin is constructed rigid and strong to provide safety in case of heavy high speed collisions where the impact force cannot be controlled by the crumpling. Maruti Suzuki have opted for the Impact absorbing type and the cabin is given additional stiffness.

Last edited:

Its very sad that SPARK is not part of the list at all. I belive that does n't mean it is not safe. It has all of the base needs and for the speed it can manage those features are more than enough. I do not know about other cars.

But I felt spark is better than some other cars in the same segment.

But I feel if we have some more features like ABS and Air bag it would have been nice.

We should rather debate on topic " Lack of Safety among Indian drivers- A serious concern"
Most of us don't care about traffic rules. Most of us don't adhere to speed limit. Most of us HONK unnecessarily. Aggression on road.
Even the safest car becomes unsafe.

Most of us HONK unnecessarily.
OT probably: but I used to do this quite a bit not uneccesarily though in my early years of driving & mostly I was scared of all the crazy auto drivers bus drivers taxicabs & even two wheelers driving zig zag all around you. But over time I have realised that it hardly makes any difference to the chaotic traffic & adds more chaos & noise so just stopped doing that!

Two cases of my own crash

First one : I have taken a head on crash on my maruti wagon r on delhi -agra highway at speed of 122 kmph and the front was toasted badly and i saw the impact effects even on rear part of the car as the windsheild broken but we all 4 including my parents my friend all were safe and came out without any scratch and we all wore seat belts, this was in 2006 on wagon r vxi model.

second incidence : on hinjewadi highway i was going in my nano at speeds of 70 kmph and came across a truck which was not giving me side so thought of overtaking from left, but unfortunately when i reached in the middle of the truck the truck swerved a bit left and braked hard and my driver side A pillar took a major impact and got bent and was distorted too. I was wearing seat belts and nothing happened to me. Though in case of crash the windshield should have stayed intact but it broke and few pieces felt inside.

So considering my both experience i beg to differ saying the indian cars are of sub standard quality and all.

Two cases of my own crash

First one : I have taken a head on crash on my maruti wagon r on delhi -agra highway at speed of 122 kmph and the front was toasted badly and i saw the impact effects even on rear part of the car as the windsheild broken but we all 4 including my parents my friend all were safe and came out without any scratch and we all wore seat belts, this was in 2006 on wagon r vxi model.

second incidence : on hinjewadi highway i was going in my nano at speeds of 70 kmph and came across a truck which was not giving me side so thought of overtaking from left, but unfortunately when i reached in the middle of the truck the truck swerved a bit left and braked hard and my driver side A pillar took a major impact and got bent and was distorted too. I was wearing seat belts and nothing happened to me. Though in case of crash the windshield should have stayed intact but it broke and few pieces felt inside.

So considering my both experience i beg to differ saying the indian cars are of sub standard quality and all.
My god, both the crashes you have met is deadly one man. Thank god you are safe. Am sure seat belts is a real safety measure.

Thanks to Chennai City police for making that as compulsory from this week. Hope every one takes it seriously.

@ Srinath: Head on collision on WagonR @ 122. You were lucky. Also it depends on what you collided with. Headon collision on a Wagon R would prove deadly most of the times, even if its manufactured in Japan.

Thread Starter #133

he results of crash tests conducted by Global NCAP, a UK-based nonprofit, which will be released Friday at an industry conference in New Delhi, are expected to show that three out of five India-made entry-level cars that were tested, may not protect their passengers adequately in the event of an accident.

NDTV, a local television network whose auto correspondent was consulted for the testing process, reported that five cars were chosen for the test, including the Tata Nano, Maruti Suzuki (BOM:532500) Alto 800, Hyundai (KRX:005380) i10, Ford Figo (NYSE:F) and Volkswagen Polo. Of these, only the Figo and Polo proved to have the structural rigidity necessary to ensure passenger safety while the other cars performed badly in the tests, according to the report.

"Poor structural integrity and the absence of airbags are putting the lives of Indian consumers at risk," NCAP Chairman Max Mosley told The Guardian. "They have a right to know how safe their vehicles are and to expect the same basic levels of safety as standard as customers in other part of the world."

India, which sees about 140,000 road-traffic fatalities, accounting for 11.3 percent of the global total, does not yet require its vehicles to meet the United Nation?s minimum crash-test standards unlike most other major car-producing nations, according to a statement from Jan. 17 on Global NCAP?s website

Source/Reference.Published on :Global NCAP Report Shows Most Budget Cars Made In India Failed Crash Tests, Lack Basic Safety Features

Some of India's best-selling small cars have failed independent crash tests conducted by a global car safety watchdog.

All five small cars popular on the Indian market last year, including the famous Tata Nano and the Hyundai i10, failed the crash tests performed by London car-safety watchdog Global NCAP (New Car Assessment Programme).

The cars that were tested were the Tata Nano, Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Hyundai i10, Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo. All cars had to be made-in-India models only, and the most basic or entry-level version available in the market was selected for testing. This meant none of them had airbags - one of the most basic prerequisites globally to pass a safety test.

There were two tests carried out on identical cars of the same make - meaning two of each car were procured by Global NCAP from Indian showrooms, and shipped to Germany for the tests. One crash test was performed at 56 kmph, the other at 64 kmph.

All five cars failed the test, landing a zero on a scale of 1-5.

Representatives from each manufacturer were invited to witness the test, and the results have been shared with them all too. Automakers said the issue of car safety is complex, involving not just passenger safety, but also the safety of those outside the car. That means cars need to handle well and drivers must be educated about the rules of the road, and roads should be in good condition.

As NDTV's Automobiles Editor, I was consulted on which cars should be tested. Of the five cars, only the Figo and Polo showed good structural rigidity and therefore a safer cabin, while the smaller cars performed rather poorly. What is rather surprising to me is that a car like the Hyundai i10 - which is only made in India for global markets - also did badly. The made-in-India for export to Europe i10 has a good rating in its Euro NCAP test for instance, which begs the question - are the cars for Indian buyers made differently?

India's growing middle class has helped fuel a booming auto industry, making the country the world's sixth-largest car market. But nearly 140,000 people die on Indian roads every year in nearly five lakh accidents. That's the worst road safety record in the world.

Given those grizzly statistics, it is staggering to think India is the only country in the world's top ten car markets that does not have a comprehensive testing programme that measures the safety of cars.

Reactions from car-makers:

TATA MOTORS
"Tata Motors sees safety as a priority, and is going to closely review the results of the Global NCAP test, before drawing any conclusions vis-a-vis its product strategy. However all its cars do meet all Indian safety regulations as mandated by the government, at this time."

FORD INDIA
"Safety is one of the higher priorities in the design of our vehicles. Our vehicles consistently meet or exceed applicable industry standards. We are monitoring the progress of this review."

VW INDIA
"At Volkswagen, we recognise this need, given increasing driving speeds, more women drivers, longer driving times and a younger driver. Therefore, we have decided to have front dual airbags as standard on the Polo, as our continuing commitment to safer and better driving. We are the first automaker in India to do so, making the Polo the safest premium hatchback in the market today."

HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA
"Hyundai Motor India Ltd affirms that Hyundai vehicles are designed and build to meet all the prescribed safety standards set by Indian Regulatory Authorities."

IV RAO, HEAD OF R&D, MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA

"In India we had been basing our own safety regulations from European regulations, however based on Indian market situation and Indian road conditions and usage conditions we have been fine tuning the regulations. The global NCAP may not match our own requirements in India, so I SIAM is in discussions with the ministry of road transport and heavy industry to work on a new vehicle appraisal system which will work on this for all NCAP for India. Taking into consideration how vehicles are being used in India not only in terms of features but small issues like the usage of rear seats is also equally important in India unlike other countries. So all these factors have to be considered and also the accident analysis has to really access what is actually causing the accident.
"The NCAP will basically come into to force when accident happens and majority of accidents are not because of your own four wheelers' but other vehicles on the road so it's a very complicated issue and of course what we are learning from this conference is very good. I would compliment IRTE for organizing such a conference here and auto industry is going to comply with the various safety measures mandated by the government. Unfortunately the commissioning of test facilities for offside and side impact has been delayed so in a couple of years we will introduce the off side regulation in India"

Source :Tata Nano, other Indian small cars fail independent crash tests | NDTV.com

Thread Starter #134

Strange, no comments till now.

Seems just cause of this nature of indian buyers these companies are playing lousy on safety front, while giving products to india.

Top Bottom