Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern

Which one of these is a safer car in your opinion?

• Maruti Swift

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Hyundai i10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyundai i20

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Ford Figo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevrolet Beat

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Volkswagen Polo

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Tata Indica Vista

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Fiat Grande Punto

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Skoda Fabia

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tata Indigo Manza

• Volkswagen Vento / Skoda Rapid

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Maruti Swift Dzire

• Honda City

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Hyundai Verna

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Fiat Linea

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Guys, i am staring this new thread, keeping in mind that now a days we usually consider FE and cost as main aspects, while deciding for a new car. The idea of this thread is put into my mind by my friend with username @Rightnow.

According to me a safe car should not only be safe during a crash but also be safe to avoid a crash using its safety equipment in best possible way. That is why i feel europian cars are much better than other ones in this aspect.
The main reason for my this conclusion is a short drive with new dezire, this drive actually set me to start this thread followed by fellow TAI member.

This is actually my major problem
Leave every name of any car, i just wanna say why the hell this happens to us(indian we get underrated vehicles) How the hell can automobile companies compromise in safety equipments why do not they dare to give such pathetic products in developed countries like US, UK, Europe etc. Who do they fear of......obviously GOVERNMENT'S STRICT RULES

Most of the automobile companies are actually cashing our negligence among vehicles, people still don't buy things at their own, they usually buy what their friend suggested or bought. People in india usually buy cheap products due to sky high prices( thanks to congxxx), and every other company is just looting us, using their brand image.
This is the place where the role of government becomes important, govt. should force them to implement top quality safety.
One more thing, the root of this thread is related to one of my ownership review's post, so here is the linkhttp://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/7789-experience-my-italian-ride-fiat-punto-90hp-5.html#post193762

I am also considering these incidents

*one of neighbor died in a car accident (driving omni some 10 years back). just because he was driving at 80 kmph and some suv did pushed it a little bit from side and it took 4 overhead turns.

Uncle died on the spot, aunty was serious, and son is now a handicap, only daughter survived safe just because she was in multiple layer blanket.

I don't think it would have been a major accident if they would have been travelling in their amby. (Its not about weight, polo, punto, vento, rapid, linea are not very much heavy cars.)

* I think that if people don't die in many other countries, when a car crash, even at 100 - 150 miles/hour. Then why do people die in india in low speeding cars. That is just because of these profit making companies and government not making any strict rules of safety. Things like abs, ebd, airbag etc, should be made compulsory in every variant.

*Swift and dezire are not cheap cars, then why do we expect sub standard material in these cars. We have polo, punto in the same range, if fiat and volkswagan can have robust vehicles then why can't maruti. They have such a huge client base, they can source engine from some other company(don't wanna take name) to secure their clients. Isn't it their responsibility to give robust cars to us.

But in this thread i wanna make you people put up their thoughts, related to safety factor of their cars, not only based on the list of safety equipments of their cars provided by the manufacturer, but by your own experiences with your cars.

I also wanna answer this
We dont have any evidence so far to prove wether Punto polo is safer than swift or not other than some psychological assumption..or am I missing something ?
Just look at the crash test reports of punto, now you can say that swift has also been tested, but buddy here is the twist, punto in india has been sold like any other country of the world(product somewhat same worldwide) but you can easily assume that the thing is not same with most of the cars being sold in india.

I request everyone
Please do not hurt anyone's sentiments, and do not think that i or any other member is bashing your lovely car, accept positive as well as negative aspects of your vehicle. Do not panic.

This is about safety. There is nothing precious than life whether its yours or mine.

Last edited:
Re: Lack of Safety in Indian Cars – A Serious Concern?

All maruti cars are unsafe.
Basis dear if you don't mind can you please post some solid well researched examples on why maruti cars are unsafe? .Because statement like yours sound more like perception then facts.

Thread Starter #4

All maruti cars are unsafe.
Buddy i am very much agree with you, but i would like you to share some incidents or proof, favoring your statement.

Guys i request you all not to make this thread a web battle field. We all know that most of the indian cars are not safe, whereas same cars are having much better safety standards in developed countries.
Try to keep healthy discussions so that, people who are not aware of safety aspects of different vehicles, may get proper knowledge, so as to make them capable enough on choosing their next vehicles.

when I opt for an abs and airbag equipped variant of beat the dealer forced too much to select just LT model. I just asked him one question " can you fit abs and air bags as after market " after that he stopped forcing me to choose an non abs version.

Thread Starter #6

when I opt for an abs and airbag equipped variant of beat the dealer forced too much to select just LT model. I just asked him one question " can you fit abs and air bags as after market " after that he stopped forcing me to choose an non abs version.
That is a great example of awareness buddy, i really appreciate your concern about safety.

Buddy i am very much agree with you, but i would like you to share some incidents or proof, favoring your statement.

Guys i request you all not to make this thread a web battle field. We all know that most of the indian cars are not safe, whereas same cars are having much better safety standards in developed countries.
Try to keep healthy discussions so that, people who are not aware of safety aspects of different vehicles, may get proper knowledge, so as to make them capable enough on choosing their next vehicles.
Vivek - see the problem here is first Indian goverment policy on safety . Secondly people have tight budget constraints and at times wrong perceptions about safety, brands and everything .
For example I know I couple who rejected beat lt option with abs and airbags and went for swift vdi just because they like the shape of swift more .
Tata vista gives their vx model with abs, much more features in lower price then swift vdi still people wait for 6-8 months for swift vdi .
.polo is perceived to be expensive to maintain and in a way is expensive too just the VW logo is some thousand rs if iam not wrong .

Punto is just bashed left right center and compared with I 20 when it's far superior when it comes to driving dynamics .
I have seen people asking specially non abs versions so they can save some odd 35,000 rs.
Now looking at the above examples whom you think we must blame car makers or buyers themselves ?
This is very complex issue but fortunately The remedy here is simple moment there are strict rules from govt about safety features no car maker can skip them and we can only hope that it's implemented sooner.

@ VivekRj.Dieselhead

What is your point here ? I got that the Indian cars are not safe because of Govt.'s lack of interest but what is your point here ? Do not get me wrong please, whatever you have mentioned is true to some extent or 85% to 90% true.

Do you really think, we can change the mentality of the people sitting at Govt. by discussing about safety features or how safe Indian cars from here ?[surprise]

If your answer is YES. Then I am very keen to know HOW !!

Note: It is nothing to do with Maruti along, even Hyundai cars are also not safe. In fact, Princess Diana died in a car accident when she was in BMW (Friends, correct me if I am wrong). Mr. Sahib Singh Verma died in a car accident when he was returning from Jaipur in his Tata Safari. People drove around the country (India) in their MS-800 for years and not even 80% died in road accidents (Just 100% assumption).

So, no car par say is safe or every car is safe. [:)]

And you are 100% correct, we should not open a battle field here.

@ Raja, BANG on target..

There is some basic error in this thread.

It does not specify what is the criteria for measuring the level of safety.

This thread assume that Maruti is an Indian car.
It is not. Just by having the name Maruti, its not Indian. Its Japanese.

By saying Indian cars, what it mean here actually?

Whether its cars made in India?
Whether its cars made by Indian companies?
Whether its cars used in India?

Also there are some perceptions and assumptions in the first post like
"an Ambassodor would have reduced the severity of the accident"
Whether Ambassodor not an Indian car?

So if Maruti is Indian, then Hyundai, Fiat, Volkswagen, Skoda, Toyota all are Indian because those models selling here are made in factories in India.

I am of the opinion that neither the car manufacturers nor the buyers must be blamed. The Govt. and the car makers associations must take steps to ensure minimum safety standards if they value the life of the customers same as that of the sales numbers and profits.
As in the case of other foreign nations minimum safety features such as driver air bags , ABS etc must be made mandatory.

Thread Starter #11

There is some basic error in this thread.

It does not specify what is the criteria for measuring the level of safety.

This thread assume that Maruti is an Indian car.
It is not. Just by having the name Maruti, its not Indian. Its Japanese.

By saying Indian cars, what it mean here actually?

Whether its cars made in India?
Whether its cars made by Indian companies?
Whether its cars used in India?

Also there are some perceptions and assumptions in the first post like
"an Ambassodor would have reduced the severity of the accident"
Whether Ambassodor not an Indian car?

So if Maruti is Indian, then Hyundai, Fiat, Volkswagen, Skoda, Toyota all are Indian because those models selling here are made in factories in India.
Buddy actually you are misinterpreting the thread, its not concerned about maruti, fiat, suzuki, tata or any other manufacturer. Its just about cars whether you find any car safe or not. Reasoning should also be provided to support your claim.
I just gave an example that i do not find maruti suzuki vehicles safe at all.

Its also not a concern whether its made in india or not.

Concern is, its sold in india.

Thread Starter #12

I am of the opinion that neither the car manufacturers nor the buyers must be blamed.
If manufacturer is selling you faulty product, who would you think will raise the voice in your behalf? Obviously its you.

First of all you should be clear either you need this product or not.
Manufacturers are making these kind of cars because we buy them without thinking once, then why would they put more sugar in the milk when they can sell it with less sugar.
First of all it our duty to raise the voice as its our hard earned money which they are looting easily. Then we have the authority to blame others.

Do you remember old proverb that " ZULM KARNE WALE SE SEHENE WALA JYADA BADA DOSHI HOTA HAI".

My opinion is First you make yourself to afford ABS and Airbags then buy a car .
You may confined yourself in congested city driving most of the time and rarely on highway drives . These rare drives may become dangerous rarely -- so why take chances .

As in the case of other foreign nations minimum safety features such as driver air bags , ABS etc must be made mandatory.
Who says that manufacturs are not selling abs and airbags loaded car. How many are actually interested to pay more for these features ?

Manufacturers are making these kind of cars because we buy them without thinking once, then why would they put more sugar in the milk when they can sell it with less sugar.
First of all it our duty to raise the voice as its our hard earned money which they are looting easily. Then we have the authority to blame others.

Do you remember old proverb that " ZULM KARNE WALE SE SEHENE WALA JYADA BADA DOSHI HOTA HAI".
I don't think they are settling cars on gun point. See I think you are missing a point. If Maruti is selling such a lousy product, no one would be interested to buy it but see the graph on month on month basis and you come to know that so many people cannot be wrong or blind.

My opinion is First you make yourself to afford ABS and Airbags then buy a car .
Correct..

Hey
What i Feel is if the government makes ABS/airbags compulsory then cost per unit will go down to economies of scale. Hence if a top model is 1 lac more , it will become Rs 50k more expensive only
I think Govt must make these things compulsory . At the most people will buy a range lower car. But HEEL YEAH it will be safer [:)]

Top Bottom