KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

The old pads were worn out only on the right side,
There is a high probability one or two pistons on one side of the caliper are stuck. Take out the pads and keep pumping the master cylinder and see if all 4 pistons extend out. Keep the reservoir lid open and make sure you never run out of brake fluid. If you have some pistons that are slow to come out, you have to rebuild the caliper and replace the seals for all pistons. That will fix your issue 100%.

Sintered front brake pad is 2262rs? It was 2600+ sometime back. Good to see the price reduction!

Thread Starter #137
There is a high probability one or two pistons on one side of the caliper are stuck
The calliper is new. Changed it at 10k kms only. will wait for another 5k kms and check.

Sintered front brake pad is 2262rs? It was 2600+ sometime back. Good to see the price reduction!
2262 is without tax. Add 28% GST and it comes to around 3000.

Thread Starter #138
March 2023
Odo - 72500 Kms

When I was doing a pre-ride check up of the bike, found out the oil level to be low. Topped up and it took in around 500 ml oil. Rear master Cylinder was cracked. Decided to get it replaced after the trip. Went to Tanjore, Pondicherry and while returning, Ryuk started showing Low Oil Pressure warning. On checking the bike the next day, there were signs of oil leak. and the bike took in another 500 ml of oil. Will ride another 500 kms and see if there is oil level drop again and take it to the Service Centre.
IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

March 2023
Odo - 72500 Kms

When I was doing a pre-ride check up of the bike, found out the oil level to be low. Topped up and it took in around 500 ml oil. Rear master Cylinder was cracked. Decided to get it replaced after the trip. Went to Tanjore, Pondicherry and while returning, Ryuk started showing Low Oil Pressure warning. On checking the bike the next day, there were signs of oil leak. and the bike took in another 500 ml of oil. Will ride another 500 kms and see if there is oil level drop again and take it to the Service Centre.
Vijesh, was this issue resolved? I broke my front suspension fork seals during a ride to Kabini backwaters, it took 2 months for the incorrect parts to arrive, re-order and get the bike back to working condition. Anyway since its summer, did not miss out on riding.

Vijesh, was this issue resolved? I broke my front suspension fork seals during a ride to Kabini backwaters, it took 2 months for the incorrect parts to arrive, re-order and get the bike back to working condition. Anyway since its summer, did not miss out on riding.
Forks seals should be available easily. I changed mine couple of weeks back with fresh seals and oil for both front forks. Everything was readily available at the KTM service center in Mysore.

Forks seals should be available easily. I changed mine couple of weeks back with fresh seals and oil for both front forks. Everything was readily available at the KTM service center in Mysore.
Apparently the same SVC gave myself all these troubles. I had got the bike towed from Kalpetta to Mysore expecting faster turn around time for service and spare, but things turned other vise.

Fellas, can bikes really loose engine oil in this hot weather?

My Duke is showing low oil pressure & no oil in the window.

This is after 3 weeks of running within the city for around 300 km. Do note, Bengaluru traffic is like 75-90 mins for 10-12 km ride. The bike has run around 2500 kms after the last completed service (including oil change).

Fellas, can bikes really loose engine oil in this hot weather?
No. Engines run at much higher temperatures than ambient at any time, its not a factor at all.

My Duke is showing low oil pressure & no oil in the window.
Add oil immediately, atleast half a liter to begin with and top up until its at max level. Do not ignore or treat low oil pressure lightly

No. Engines run at much higher temperatures than ambient at any time, its not a factor at all.

Add oil immediately, atleast half a liter to begin with and top up until its at max level. Do not ignore or treat low oil pressure lightly
There is a problem with some sensor it seems, I've poured in 500 mL and the window shows the level between max & min, still the low oil pressure sign is up, need to visit SVC now. In my 17 years of riding two stroke - SBKs never have I faced oil evaporating by the tune of 30% of the capacity.

There is a problem with some sensor it seems, I've poured in 500 mL and the window shows the level between max & min, still the low oil pressure sign is up, need to visit SVC now. In my 17 years of riding two stroke - SBKs never have I faced oil evaporating by the tune of 30% of the capacity.
dont rule out low oil pressure errors as sensor. Get the oil pumps checked, cleaned and only then replace the sensor if issue persists.

The bike is back from SVC and all is good, it was just a faulty oil pressure sensor. Took the bike out for a 80 km round trip to the airport, its working fine. Hope I don't need to visit the SVC until next service.

Did a busy 2 day - 1200 km ride to Munnar via Theni, Bodi & return via Adimali, Palakkad, Coimbatore - Bengaluru, the bike performed flawlessly. It was a complete rain marred ride but we were looking for this specific opportunity to visit KL during the start of the monsoon season. I had a Honda CB350 for company and it was keeping up with myself almost everywhere apart from quick accelerations. I started the ride with a full tank of coolant and now its just below the minimum mark, looks like some trouble is incoming.

Thread Starter #150
June 2023
Odo - 74840 Kms

The bike is nearing 75000 Kms. Rear tyre needs to be replaced. Chain started showing uneven tension. So will have to replace it in the coming months. Other than that, bike is doing completely fine.

Vijesh, was this issue resolved?
Yes it was a faulty centre case gasket. Took 2 days for the work to be completed since it required almost complete dismantling of the bike.

Top Bottom