KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

Last week, I rode down to Kolli Hills with a friend, on return the coolant level went down a bit. This week, I took the bike to KTM SVC as they are very close to my location, they have changed the water pump gasket/seal and asked me to observe for a week or two and come back. Lets see how it goes.

unnamed.jpg

Was it so low that they suspect a gasket failure?
Yes, the coolant was at the max level when I left home for the ride, when I came back, it was just above min mark. The day I started the bike for SVC visit, it smoked a bit, my suspicion grew stronger. I do have a ride in the month of August to either Mangalore or Rameswaram. Lets see how the bike does.

Thread Starter #126
Our's failed at around 31k mark and replaced under warranty, the full impeller kit.
I too had a failed water pump due to coolant and oil mixing. luckily mech replaced it without taking any risk by just replacing the gasket.

Yes, the coolant was at the max level when I left home for the ride, when I came back, it was just above min mark. The day I started the bike for SVC visit, it smoked a bit, my suspicion grew stronger. I do have a ride in the month of August to either Mangalore or Rameswaram. Lets see how the bike does.
Make sure to take the bike for a short spin on the highway for around 100-200 kms and check the bike ASAP.

I too had a failed water pump due to coolant and oil mixing. luckily mech replaced it without taking any risk by just replacing the gasket.

Make sure to take the bike for a short spin on the highway for around 100-200 kms and check the bike ASAP.
I was a bit late to complete the 150 kms run in post gasket change, Unfortunately, the issue persists, the bike is smoking a tad bit upon first start of the day and coolant dropping as well. Time to head towards SVC once again.

An update after dropping the bike in SVC, the head gasket needs to be checked as coolant is visible in the engine oil window. Photos and other things will be coming to myself before I approve of the work, looking at around a full service + internal sealing gasket change and 8-10K hit to the wallet. The expense is okay if the bike runs trouble free for the next 2 years, I had anyway budgeted 20% of my purchase cost towards maintenance expenses (excluding general service) arising out of a used vehicle.

Last edited:
I received the bike on Thursday, the gasket was replaced along with the clutch plates, they looked burnt, I'll be running-in the bike for some time after this open heart surgery. While one problem is done, another one is knocking on the doors, since the day I got the bike home, I have felt the front is not riding on the centre of tire, it felt more on the right, so right hand bend and leans were sometime heart in the mouth moments, now the after almost 7K kms, the front tyre wear is uneven, its more on the right. and subtly unstable on the roads with undulations. I would have to take it to the SVC to investigate what the issue actually is.

Right side usually wears out more than left because of the way the roads are constructed. How many kms has your tyre run? also are your wheels balanced?
I agree, there would be marginal increase on one side. However, for tyres which have have done 7.5K kilometers, the difference between centre patch and current situation is very big. Let me post a click sometime to make things clearer.

Thread Starter #132
It's been so long since this thread has been updated. There was nothing much going on with the bike and also was held up with some personal works.

Anyways, we welcomed this beast into the gang.
IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

What a machine it is to ride. The inline 4, with an SC project slip on, OH MY GOD...

In order to celebrate the arrival of the newcomer, we planned a ride to Dhanushkodi, Tiruchendur and Kanniyakumari. We had to cut short our 3 day trip due to personal reasons and missed going to Dhanushkodi, which I know I will regret for a long long time.

Day 1 - Coimbatore - Tiruchendur - Kanniyakumari
We started the trip around 6 AM from Coimbatore, filled our tanks at Shanti Social Service petrol bunk and stopped near Palladam for morning Tea. Rode via Dharapuram, Sembatty and stopped at Vadipatti for our breakfast. We proceeded via Madurai airport road towards Tuticorin highway and took a diversion for Tiruchendur. Reached Tiruchendur around 2.30 PM and got a room to refresh. Went to the beach around 4 PM, came back, refreshed and went to the Murugan temple. After visiting the temple, we decided to proceed towards Kanniyakumari as it was just 90 kms away. Started around 6PM and reached around 8.30 PM. Got a room for the Night.
IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

Day 2 - Kanniyakumari - Coimbatore
Went to our usual secluded Sunrise spot, but to our disappointment, it was cloudy. We went to a fishing harbour nearby, spent some time and then proceeded towards coimbatore. 400 kms of pure 4 lane highway and 100 kms of two lane later, we reached home exhausted, drained due to severe humidity at around 8.30 pm. I slept like a log for the next 12-13 hours.
IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #135
March 2023
Odo - 71500 kms

Got the Front Brake pads replaced. Costed me Rs. 3400 including waterwash. The old pads were worn out only on the right side, so wanted to get it checked at the showroom. Otherwise I would have replaced the pads myself. As usual, no satisfactory resolution given.
IMG_4799.jpg

Top Bottom