KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

Vijesh, do you top up the engine oil between oil changes? If yes, how much do you pour in, approximately. Have you also tried any other engine oils apart from Motul 7100? Your feedback would be enlightening, thanks. I am very much tempted to try out Amsoil Metric and LiquiMoly, both in the 15W50 grade.

Thread Starter #108
It starts with 100 ml or so for around 2000 kms. Then it gradually increases. With increase in oil consumption, I should have increased the oil checking frequency. Had I done that, my engine’s life might have been better.
A friend of mine had tried Liqui Molly 10w 50. He found very marginal increase in performance. But performance to price ratio was not worth it. Haven't tried Amsoil. If you do try it, let me know. Also dont leave oil change upto 7500 kms as advised by KTM. Do change it at 5000 kms.

deville_56

Honoured Member
7500 km and 1.5 L update was pretty bad move from KTM. I argued with a lot including mechanics about the need for 1.7 L. I check whenever I wash for oil level as I trust KTM quality a lot.

Friend of mine uses Liqui Moly kit, and I felt 300v was way better than that. Moly got a very mixed opinion.

It starts with 100 ml or so for around 2000 kms. Then it gradually increases. With increase in oil consumption, I should have increased the oil checking frequency. Had I done that, my engine’s life might have been better.
A friend of mine had tried Liqui Molly 10w 50. He found very marginal increase in performance. But performance to price ratio was not worth it. Haven't tried Amsoil. If you do try it, let me know. Also dont leave oil change upto 7500 kms as advised by KTM. Do change it at 5000 kms.
Thanks Vijesh, I need to be pro-active in checking & topping up the oil as well. I have not topped up the oil since my last service, 4800 kms back. As you rightly said, stretching the service to 7500 kms does not make sense at all, considering what these bikes go through in 5K kms itself. I have scheduled a service appointment at a FNG for the upcoming week, going in with a new set of chain and sprockets from Rolon and Motul 7100. Will try out Amsoil next time and drop in a word here for everyone's reference.

Thread Starter #111
Good. 4500-5000 kms is the correct interval. Also if you are supplying oil, 1.7 ltr as said by @deville_56 is the correct quantity. So get Two 1 litre cans and use the balance for topping up. Its good to have a habit of washing your bike every 500 kms, lubing the chain, checking the coolant, engine oil, brake fluids and brake pads.

7500 km and 1.5 L update was pretty bad move from KTM. I argued with a lot including mechanics about the need for 1.7 L. I check whenever I wash for oil level as I trust KTM quality a lot.

Friend of mine uses Liqui Moly kit, and I felt 300v was way better than that. Moly got a very mixed opinion.
I agree with you, in the first 2500 kms itself the oil level is at the minimum mark. From KTM mechanics, I know the sump can hold 1.8L of oil, going in with 1.7L and 100mL top-up every 2500kms should be a standard directive in the service manual itself.
I have also heard mixed reviews from friends who have used Liqui Moly, I think it works best on cooler running engine such as Honda, Suzuki, Triumph. For hotheads such as KTM, RE, Motul is the best bet, at the moment.

Good. 4500-5000 kms is the correct interval. Also if you are supplying oil, 1.7 ltr as said by @deville_56 is the correct quantity. So get Two 1 litre cans and use the balance for topping up. Its good to have a habit of washing your bike every 500 kms, lubing the chain, checking the coolant, engine oil, brake fluids and brake pads.
Yes, I diligently lube every 500-700 kms using Tribocor TC 212, which is a dry lube. The bike has consumed 400mL of coolant since the last service. I have a paddock stand at home, so every lubing session, I do thorough inspection of the bike. 1.7L is what will go in the bike, I will use the remaining for top ups.

deville_56

Honoured Member
I use thicker oil to lube the chain. Manual says 90-grade gear oil. Used OKS lube for first chain set. Tribocor is the longest lasting one of all lubes tried.

The bike has consumed 400mL of coolant since the last service.
Coolant or oil?

Motul/KTM launched 1.7L bottle after KTM's hypocratic move [frustration]. By the time, many engines ruined due to low level.

Last edited:
I use thicker oil to lube the chain. Manual says 90-grade gear oil. Used OKS lube for first chain set. Tribocor is the longest lasting one of all lubes tried.

Coolant or oil?

Motul/KTM launched 1.7L bottle after KTM's hypocratic move [frustration]. By the time, many engines ruined due to low level.
400mL of coolant. I think its drinking a bit more than normal. But fortunately, no leaks anywhere, the engine oil is clean as well. KTM mechanic informed that please be ready to top-up 500mL within the service interval (7500 kms)..

I've been a Tribocor fan since that day in 2015 when I first used it. Later, I did a Bangalore-Rameshwaram-Bangalore ride on my Apache and did not have to use lube not even once. I use the TC 40, wet based lube for my Apache and TC 212 for the Duke, easily lasts at least 700 kms before it needs another round of lube.

I think the 1.7L bottle has been phased out. I have not seen it in the market, atleast in Bangalore for a very long time.

deville_56

Honoured Member
400mL of coolant. I think its drinking a bit more than normal. But fortunately, no leaks anywhere, the engine oil is clean as well. KTM mechanic informed that please be ready to top-up 500mL within the service interval (7500 kms)..

I've been a Tribocor fan since that day in 2015 when I first used it. Later, I did a Bangalore-Rameshwaram-Bangalore ride on my Apache and did not have to use lube not even once. I use the TC 40, wet based lube for my Apache and TC 212 for the Duke, easily lasts at least 700 kms before it needs another round of lube.

I think the 1.7L bottle has been phased out. I have not seen it in the market, atleast in Bangalore for a very long time.
400 ml drop is quite alarming. Check the water pump and engine gaskets.

1.7 L started arriving here only lately. It had the new label.

400 ml drop is quite alarming. Check the water pump and engine gaskets.

1.7 L started arriving here only lately. It had the new label.
Just to close this loop, the DOOK was serviced last Saturday at Gear Gear Motorcycles, Bengaluru. I had specifically asked them to check at this, happy to report that all is well. Maybe the last month or two of heavy summer had taken a tool on the bike. I had not see leaks anywhere, neither on the engine block, nor the tiles where I park my bike as well.

Labor costs for the service was INR 1800, all needed liquids and parts came from my side. I am set for the next 5000 kms and eagerly waiting for the monsoons, will continue to monitor engine oil and coolant levels throughout.

Last edited:

Top Bottom