KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #76
Or did you do 3 tankfulls during the trip and a final tankful upon reaching home?
Yes. It was my fault. It should have been 3. I have included the last fill up after reaching home.

I am saying this from the fact that, the bike is a maintenance hog, the high stress nature of the entire mechanicals warrant a faster interval of maintenance.
KTM engines drink oil more than most of the bikes. But this time its consumed more thank usual. So it must mostly be either worn out piston rings or it might be something very normal because of the valve door leak. Will be taking to the service centre in a week or so. Apart from changing the coolant water pump twice, there have been no major maintenance works. Everything has been normal wear and tear replacements only

Maybe these problems are tell tale signs of age & wear?
Yes. It's clear signs of age. On an average, KTM engines need rebuilding at around 40-50k kms. I have done 60k kms. Two of my friends have done partial engine work at 35-40 k kms itself and are also on their 2nd set of clutch plates which are also at half their life now. I am still in my first set. So maintenance wise comparatively it has been lesser than my friends' . If its an engine rework, it will last another 50-60k kms after the work and i will be very happy with it.

Thread Starter #78
What's the current level? Mine had similar miles when it showed similar problems and it was clogged oil pump.
When I took it to the service centre, Oil wasn't visible at all in the inspection window even after tilting the bike. They poured 200-300 ml. I came back home and poured another 300 ml, and oil is still not visible when the bike is paddock or straight. it visible only when tilting. My oil bottle is over. Planning to take the bike to the service centre this week. So haven't bought and topped up new oil.

How are the tyres holding up? The front looks as if it has clocked a substantial number.
Front tyre was changed at around 42k kms. So it has run around 18k kms. Still has a life of about 1k Kms, but the steering has become weird. Should have ideally replaced the front along with the rear.

When I took it to the service centre, Oil wasn't visible at all in the inspection window even after tilting the bike. They poured 200-300 ml. I came back home and poured another 300 ml, and oil is still not visible when the bike is paddock or straight. it visible only when tilting. My oil bottle is over. Planning to take the bike to the service centre this week. So haven't bought and topped up new oil.

Front tyre was changed at around 42k kms. So it has run around 18k kms. Still has a life of about 1k Kms, but the steering has become weird. Should have ideally replaced the front along with the rear.
Here the SVC poured in 1.7L of oil when I did the service 1500 kms back. Now I see the oil to have dropped by just a little bit. The front tyre did look worn out in the pictures. So it can be safely assumed the front will last 15K kms. My tyres have done around 2500 kms and look spanking new.

Thread Starter #87
Jan 2022
Odo - 60650 kms

The aftermath from the last trip was a leaking Rear Shock Absorber. Also took this chance to get the stock decal kit back. Feels like the bike is back to its best, at least appearance wise. Front Tyre, Fork Oil and oil seals, valve door oil leak, Piston rings and (or) valves replacing depending on the condition of the engine, Clutch pressure plates replacing, Front Calliper rebuild, Brakes Bleeding, Chain Sprocket Change. So much work to be done.

800CDBF8-9BF9-43D5-AB2D-30A21216CB11.jpeg
A7E407A4-C9E3-4F3E-B5B5-2442B9C4CFC4.jpeg
962D47E1-94ED-4290-B314-113D720D7C4E.jpeg

Thread Starter #88
The bike finally seems to have reached its limit tolerating my delay for the front calliper overhaul which was due for a very very long time. It was time for my periodic 500 kms check up of the bike. Topped up the coolant and engine oil. Since it was more than 2k kms since my brake pad change, I decided to clean it. While cleaning the front pads, I pushed the pistons. But the piston on the top of both the sides didn't budge at all. Thought to be an air lock, so bleeded the brakes, topped the fluid and checked again, the pistons were still jammed. So decided to finally get the calliper overhauled in the showroom. Tried riding the bike, but it was struggling. Meanwhile since I don't remember bleeding the rear brakes, took the opportunity to bleed them. The estimate is around 2500 including the master cylinder replacement if necessary.

Rear Brake Pads - Sanded and good to go
B800D032-9398-4941-9912-89CD2B81435F.jpeg

Old contaminated and dusty brake fluid
724AD2BB-4077-4E5F-8AA7-14CD45528CB7.jpeg

Coolant Topped Up
4710A76A-0D1A-4DEE-BEB7-46AF1D31E422.jpeg

Front Brake Pads - Sanded. Need to check if any damages from the short ride. The calliper was very very hot from the short test ride.
B716C0D9-A2FB-4C90-ADE4-998974D5B27C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #89
Update
Had to replace the Entire Front calliper assembly and Master Cylinder. I also asked them to replace both the Brake and Clutch levers to stock ones as the adjustable ones that I have are at the end of their life.
Total damage to the wallet - Rs. 5226

74E09746-3BA8-4BFE-AD37-F38C9AAEF6BA.jpeg

Update
Had to replace the Entire Front calliper assembly and Master Cylinder. I also asked them to replace both the Brake and Clutch levers to stock ones as the adjustable ones that I have are at the end of their life.
Total damage to the wallet - Rs. 5226

View attachment 293624
Not bad at all. Far less than what it would have been if it was a CBR 250R or a Ninja 250/300.

Top Bottom