KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #46
Brake pads replaced to EBC fully syntered at 57400 kms. Will have to replace the brake fluid. Not able to get the 8mm transparent hose for bleeding at any of the nearest hardware stores. Have ordered in Amazon. will have to see if it will be of the correct size. It is too costly at showroom and the KTM showroom's service has become worse day by day. So even for this small job, very hesitant to give it to them.

The right side pad had some life left but the left side one was completely gone. Maybe for the next pad change, will get the calliper rebuild kit and get it done from some good fng outside.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Thread Starter #47
September 2021
Odo - 57500 Kms

Just regular work and friends meet runs. The brakes have been bed in. The braking is amazing. Much more confidence inspiring than the brembo's. The rear Apollo Alpha H1 is great on both wet and dry roads. The bike is itching to stretch its legs. It might happen in october.

Thread Starter #50
After a long time, took the bike for a longish ride to my native.

The golden hour skies
1.JPG

Maintained good speeds.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Return journey
4.jpg
5.jpg

Looking forward for longer rides in near future. Hope things settle down and start getting back to normal.

Lovely ownership thread Vijesh. Your extensive report is a treasure trove for someone like me who looks forward to get this orange on 2 wheels. How would you rate the Apollo's ? I know you had mentioned in your previous post that they are doing a decent job. Would you say Pirelli > Metz > Michelin > Apollo ?

Thread Starter #53
Lovely ownership thread Vijesh. Your extensive report is a treasure trove for someone like me who looks forward to get this orange on 2 wheels.
Thank you very much.

Would you say Pirelli > Metz > Michelin > Apollo ?
Metz M7 >Metz M5 >= Apollo Aplha H1> Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 > Michelin Pilot Street.

Thank you very much.

Metz M7 >Metz M5 >= Apollo Aplha H1> Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 > Michelin Pilot Street.
Wow. Nice to read you are rating the Apollo's that high, considering they are the only sanely priced shoes for the Duke available in the market. On a side note, like all Duke owners, do you also start looking for a fuel fill-up after you cross around 180 kms ? I have experience of using a friend's 2014 Duke for quite a long period and somehow it shows low fuel the moment you cross around 150 kms.

Thread Starter #55
I always fill the tank fully. In city I get a low fuel warning after 190 kms. In highways I get it after 210-220 kms. I ride sanely so get a decent FE of about 23-25 kmpl in city and 27-28 kmpl in highways. On Highways it hasn't bothered me because I usually plan my rides in such a way that I use fuel stops to stretch my legs. First 100 kms, I stop for food or tea depending on the Time I start. After next 100 kms I stop for fuel, water and restroom.

I always fill the tank fully. In city I get a low fuel warning after 190 kms. In highways I get it after 210-220 kms. I ride sanely so get a decent FE of about 23-25 kmpl in city and 27-28 kmpl in highways. On Highways it hasn't bothered me because I usually plan my rides in such a way that I use fuel stops to stretch my legs. First 100 kms, I stop for food or tea depending on the Time I start. After next 100 kms I stop for fuel, water and restroom.
Appreciate the insight. With the Duke you cover enough in one sitting to relax, fuel, bio break and ride again. On my current Apache, by the time bike hits reserve, you would have covered around 450-470 kms easily and I did stretch to fuel in Rameshwaram directly with low fuel blinking constantly after filing up to the brim in Bengaluru.

My friend still uses the 2014 Duke and it still prompts low fuel at 150 kms. Must be those usual KTM electronic gremlins. Ride safe brother and look forward to next leg of updates from your side.

Thread Starter #57
100 kms would be approximately 1-1.5 hours of ride. So good time to stretch my legs.

My friend still uses the 2014 Duke and it still prompts low fuel at 150 kms.
150 kms is too low. 10.5 ltrs tanks, even if you take 1.5 ltrs as back up fuel, 9 x 20 kmpl should be atleast 180 kms before refuelling. I guess your friend rides a bit aggressively.

100 kms would be approximately 1-1.5 hours of ride. So good time to stretch my legs.

150 kms is too low. 10.5 ltrs tanks, even if you take 1.5 ltrs as back up fuel, 9 x 20 kmpl should be atleast 180 kms before refuelling. I guess your friend rides a bit aggressively.
Yes, on point. We have gone over 200kms before needing fuel. Its most probably a faulty fuel sensor which my friend has not bothered to replace. This bike has hardly done 13K kms in over 7 years.

Top Bottom