Kolkata To Mumbai Road Trip

Hey everybody! Yes finally my trip was over. am sori could not post earlier.I will very shortly put in a travalogue on both routes. Hope that helps.
Please do. I am eagerly waiting for it. You updates are very much required.

Anyone planning a trip plan feel free to call me for suggestions.
Did you take the Calcutta-Vizag route while returning? Please let me know how much time you took to reach Vizag. A brief description of the road condition up to Vizag will also be very much appreciated.

I am extremely sorry for the delay in detailing my road trip for which I seeked your advice in the first place. You will be glad to know that the trip was a success and we i.e mom dad and me had a lovely memorable trip. Infact a life time achievement for at least my parents if I could take the liberty to put it that way.

The travelling bug was always there in us and thankfully we had and have a similar wavelength at least when it comes to travel. Cross country long distance travel requires co travellers to have a similar temperament. Now let me come straight to the travel bit

Mumbai to Kol: via Nagpur/Raipur/Sambalpur/Keonjha, I have already given a brief description earlier. Not detailing here. It’s a shorter route, however road conditions with regards to tarmac, size are pathetic in Chattisgarh area. Orissa roads are better. Jharkhand is hellish. Safety, I was advised by locals not to travel after 7pm between Chattisgarh & Jharkhand(included). I hence did not. Please avoid this road if with family

Kol to Mumbai (NH5 + NH9) via Balasore – Cuttuck – Puri (we detoured a bit for Puri)- BBSR – Vizag –Rajamundry – Vijaywada (There is a direct road from Rajamumdry to Hyd, but we were advised by locals not to take that for whatever reason but move further ahead to Vijaywada and take the toll road to Hyd) – Solapur-Pune – Mumbai.

Before I get into the travel details, I would like to mention here that my car is a 2012 Wagon R (vxi). I maintain an average speed of 80-90kmph throughout. I prefer sticking to National Highways wherever available since I am assured of at least minimum safety and quality. I don’t drive long stretches continuously. I stop after every 100km or 1hr 30 mins for atleast 15 mins, switching off engine. My lunch break is normally around 2pm for 1 hr. A tea break of 30-45 mins around 4pm. Dinner if required is again an hour break. I avoid travelling post 7pm, though at times I have travelled way beyond.

Day1 (Kol –Puri) : 600km appx
We started at 9:30am from Kol and reached Cuttuck via Balashore (NH5) around 630/7pm. This included plenty of 15m breaks every 80-100kms and a long break for lunch, totalling to about 2-2.5 hours of breaks. Please be warned, very few good resorts/eateries on this route. I mean the kinds we are used to in Maharashtra or even north (I am from Delhi too :) ). So you might wana stop where you spot the first hotel for lunch.

We left Cuttuck after a little drive inside the city and a few photo sessions. Stopped for 30mins at Pahala for the Chenepodos. For those who don’t know what Pahala is, please google for details. It’s a famous stretch on the highway where the famous Chenepodos of Orissa are sold, eaten, devoured! Finally departed from Pahala at 8:30pm for Puri. There are 2 roads to Puri. One is a newly constructed Bypass road. V good road condition. We were asked to avoid it by the locals in Pahala since it was dark and lonely. So we went through The BBSR Puri highway as recommended, which connects with the Bypass road further ahead. Till you are in BBSR, which I assumed was old BBSR there would be traffic. Once you are on the bypass road later, you can sail through and smell the sea all along. Beautiful stretch.

Reached Puri by 1030pm. We stayed there for 2 days. Beautiful, heavenly! I really don’t think I need to describe its beauty and divinity. I would be at loss of words. All I can say is, I used to read Amar Chitra Katha when I was a child, which is nearly 30 yrs back. I visualized how Puri might have been, pious, religious, fanfare, melas, easy life. It turned out to be exactly the same. Please visit Puri once in a lifetime. Do not miss the sweetmeat khaajas which you will see piled in hoards.

Day3 (Puri –Vizag, with detour to bbsr) 550km apx
Left Puri around 830am. Took same the bypass but this time straight to NH5 Highway and moved towards Vizag from there on. However, we detoured to Bhubaneswar and spent about 2 hours inside. Left finally for Vizag by 1230pm. Reached Vizag around 7.30pm. This again included plenty of breaks and a long break for lunch, totalling to about 2 hours of break. Excellent road all along. No issues with tarmac. 4 lanes throughout. Beautiful scenery. Lots of eateries all along. Please do not miss the nariyal paani walas near the toll gates. A single Rs15 is like having 3 nariyal paanis of Mumbai.

Day4 (Vizag to Hyd via vijaywada) 750km apx
Finished sightseeing at Vizag by 1130 and left for Hyd. I know, it’s a very short period of time to relish a place. But we had a reason to hurry back to Mumbai. I am getting married in Dec! Hence we had to rush back for pending works. I know that’s a crime for a traveller. Reached Rajamundry by 2pm where we braked for lunch. We were suggested by locals to not take the State highway to Hyd, but take the longer NH5 all the way down to Vijaywada and take the new toll road from there to Hyd. We followed the instructions. Apart from the gadgets and gizmos that we all carry and fancy, I also believe the locals know best about their terrain.

Left Rajamundry by 3pm and were in Vijaywada by 7pm. Lovely 4 laned road all along. No issues with tarmac. Exited Vijaywada city by around 9 to the much awaited toll road and braked for dinner again. Lovely food plaza just at the entrance of the toll road. Left at 10pm and reached Hyd by 1230am. Lovely 4 laned road all along with superb tarmac. Bigger vehicles zoomed past at 140kmph.

Day 5 (Hyd – Solapur) 350km apx
We left Hyd by 830am and after a bit of sightseeing could exit the city only by 12. Traffic in Hyd was bad. Ate up our travel time. By the time we were on the highway it was 12. Road conditions deteriorated. 2 laned. Tarmac was broken in most stretches. Potholes (smaller ones) sprung up. Suddenly I was forced to be alert at the wheels. Avg speed drastically dropped to 50kmph. So by the time I reached Solapur was around 7pm.

To my relief, Solapur onwards roads again became a runway! Halted for dinner around 930pm. Realized we were weary and am sure so was our car. We decided to stay put at the hotel/motel next to the eatery. Was a lovely one though and inexpensive. I realized during this complete trip that most highway hotels are well kept and cheap.

Day6 (Solapur to Mumbai) 450km apx
Left for Pune by 10am. Again lovely roads and yes Maharashtra has amazing views. Felt at home again. Reached Pune by 2pm. By the time we exited Pune post lunch, it was nearly 430pm, Pune traffic to be blamed. From Pune it was our usual known sadak, the expressway via Lonavla! M back home by 6pm.

Apx Total cost on Kol-Mum trip:[/SIZE]
Fuel : 12000
Stay : 15000 (availed guest houses of my DAD's organization in Vizag & Hyd. Rest were hotels)
Tolls: 1500
Food: didn’t count

Next trip there would be a new member in the team, my wife :). I wonder if I should be eyeing a bigger vehicle. No no… m not worried about the size of the women...ha ha! It’s the size of their luggage that worries me.

Last edited:
And Oh! I luv Kolkata[:)] for all its charm, people, sweets, heritage, ethnic yet so very modern.

Its a mix of old world and modern charm. Love the sight of trams chugging through the city. the yellow cabs honking away to glory (haha). the minibus conductors shouting howrah howrah! The rush of the cartwalas and the loaders/unloaders early morning. the smell of coal, the ganges with the colorful setu in the backdrop at sunset. The bread omlette walas at Strand road..the very old esplanade. New market The fort Williams..Maidan and the Victoria, such splendor and grandeur..the oomph in park street & its sleazy bylanes[;)]. St Pauls, park circus, golden old days Garia hat (I remember my mom fancying going there everytime it neared Pujo). Ultodanga. Sealdah and its teenyweeny hotels also known for lottery stalls (haha) and ofcourse, the quiet Saltlake and the oh so very beautiful Newtown!

Awaiting to visit again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am extremely sorry for the delay in detailing my road trip for which I seeked your advice in the first place. You will be glad to know that the trip was a success and we i.e mom dad and me had a lovely memorable trip. Infact a life time achievement for at least my parents if I could take the liberty to put it that way.

The travelling bug was always there in us and thankfully we had and have a similar wavelength at least when it comes to travel. Cross country long distance travel requires co travellers to have a similar temperament. Now let me come straight to the travel bit

Mumbai to Kol: via Nagpur/Raipur/Sambalpur/Keonjha, I have already given a brief description earlier. Not detailing here. It’s a shorter route, however road conditions with regards to tarmac, size are pathetic in Chattisgarh area. Orissa roads are better. Jharkhand is hellish. Safety, I was advised by locals not to travel after 7pm between Chattisgarh & Jharkhand(included). I hence did not. Please avoid this road if with family

Kol to Mumbai (NH5 + NH9) via Balasore – Cuttuck – Puri (we detoured a bit for Puri)- BBSR – Vizag –Rajamundry – Vijaywada (There is a direct road from Rajamumdry to Hyd, but we were advised by locals not to take that for whatever reason but move further ahead to Vijaywada and take the toll road to Hyd) – Solapur-Pune – Mumbai.

Before I get into the travel details, I would like to mention here that my car is a 2012 Wagon R (vxi). I maintain an average speed of 80-90kmph throughout. I prefer sticking to National Highways wherever available since I am assured of at least minimum safety and quality. I don’t drive long stretches continuously. I stop after every 100km or 1hr 30 mins for atleast 15 mins, switching off engine. My lunch break is normally around 2pm for 1 hr. A tea break of 30-45 mins around 4pm. Dinner if required is again an hour break. I avoid travelling post 7pm, though at times I have travelled way beyond.

Day1 (Kol –Puri) : 600km appx
We started at 9:30am from Kol and reached Cuttuck via Balashore (NH5) around 630/7pm. This included plenty of 15m breaks every 80-100kms and a long break for lunch, totalling to about 2-2.5 hours of breaks. Please be warned, very few good resorts/eateries on this route. I mean the kinds we are used to in Maharashtra or even north (I am from Delhi too :) ). So you might wana stop where you spot the first hotel for lunch.

We left Cuttuck after a little drive inside the city and a few photo sessions. Stopped for 30mins at Pahala for the Chenepodos. For those who don’t know what Pahala is, please google for details. It’s a famous stretch on the highway where the famous Chenepodos of Orissa are sold, eaten, devoured! Finally departed from Pahala at 8:30pm for Puri. There are 2 roads to Puri. One is a newly constructed Bypass road. V good road condition. We were asked to avoid it by the locals in Pahala since it was dark and lonely. So we went through The BBSR Puri highway as recommended, which connects with the Bypass road further ahead. Till you are in BBSR, which I assumed was old BBSR there would be traffic. Once you are on the bypass road later, you can sail through and smell the sea all along. Beautiful stretch.

Reached Puri by 1030pm. We stayed there for 2 days. Beautiful, heavenly! I really don’t think I need to describe its beauty and divinity. I would be at loss of words. All I can say is, I used to read Amar Chitra Katha when I was a child, which is nearly 30 yrs back. I visualized how Puri might have been, pious, religious, fanfare, melas, easy life. It turned out to be exactly the same. Please visit Puri once in a lifetime. Do not miss the sweetmeat khaajas which you will see piled in hoards.

Left Puri around 830am. Took same the bypass but this time straight to NH5 Highway and moved towards Vizag from there on. However, we detoured to Bhubaneswar and spent about 2 hours inside. Left finally for Vizag by 1230pm. Reached Vizag around 7.30pm. This again included plenty of breaks and a long break for lunch, totalling to about 2 hours of break. Excellent road all along. No issues with tarmac. 4 lanes throughout. Beautiful scenery. Lots of eateries all along. Please do not miss the nariyal paani walas near the toll gates. A single Rs15 is like having 3 nariyal paanis of Mumbai.

Finished sightseeing at Vizag by 1130 and left for Hyd. I know, it’s a very short period of time to relish a place. But we had a reason to hurry back to Mumbai. I am getting married in Dec! Hence we had to rush back for pending works. I know that’s a crime for a traveller. Reached Rajamundry by 2pm where we braked for lunch. We were suggested by locals to not take the State highway to Hyd, but take the longer NH5 all the way down to Vijaywada and take the new toll road from there to Hyd. We followed the instructions. Apart from the gadgets and gizmos that we all carry and fancy, I also believe the locals know best about their terrain.

Left Rajamundry by 3pm and were in Vijaywada by 7pm. Lovely 4 laned road all along. No issues with tarmac. Exited Vijaywada city by around 9 to the much awaited toll road and braked for dinner again. Lovely food plaza just at the entrance of the toll road. Left at 10pm and reached Hyd by 1230am. Lovely 4 laned road all along with superb tarmac. Bigger vehicles zoomed past at 140kmph.

Day 5 (Hyd – Solapur) 350km apx
We left Hyd by 830am and after a bit of sightseeing could exit the city only by 12. Traffic in Hyd was bad. Ate up our travel time. By the time we were on the highway it was 12. Road conditions deteriorated. 2 laned. Tarmac was broken in most stretches. Potholes (smaller ones) sprung up. Suddenly I was forced to be alert at the wheels. Avg speed drastically dropped to 50kmph. So by the time I reached Solapur was around 7pm.

To my relief, Solapur onwards roads again became a runway! Halted for dinner around 930pm. Realized we were weary and am sure so was our car. We decided to stay put at the hotel/motel next to the eatery. Was a lovely one though and inexpensive. I realized during this complete trip that most highway hotels are well kept and cheap.

Day6 (Solapur to Mumbai) 450km apx
Left for Pune by 10am. Again lovely roads and yes Maharashtra has amazing views. Felt at home again. Reached Pune by 2pm. By the time we exited Pune post lunch, it was nearly 430pm, Pune traffic to be blamed. From Pune it was our usual known sadak, the expressway via Lonavla! M back home by 6pm.

Apx Total cost on Kol-Mum trip:[/SIZE]
Fuel : 12000
Stay : 15000 (availed guest houses of my DAD's organization in Vizag & Hyd. Rest were hotels)
Tolls: 1500
Food: didn’t count

Next trip there would be a new member in the team, my wife :). I wonder if I should be eyeing a bigger vehicle. No no… m not worried about the size of the women...ha ha! It’s the size of their luggage that worries me.
Why do you not start a fresh TL along with pictures. Would be very interesting reading

And Oh! I luv Kolkata[:)] for all its charm, people, sweets, heritage, ethnic yet so very modern.
Thanks for being fond of Calcutta. As a fellow Calcuttan I feel great. [clap]

Awaiting to visit again!
Please do return at your convenience.
Thank you. I am driving to Vizag in about three weeks and your trip report will undoubtedly help me.
Finished sightseeing at Vizag by 1130 and left for Hyd. I know, it’s a very short period of time to relish a place.
What were the places that you visited?
I am getting married in Dec! Hence we had to rush back for pending works.
Congratulation brother.
I wonder if I should be eyeing a bigger vehicle. No no… m not worried about the size of the women...ha ha! It’s the size of their luggage that worries me.
I do appreciate your sense of humor. Please rest assured, you car will be good enough to accommodate all your luggage.[:D]

Dear Rahul,
Thank you for your kind words. As for Vizag, we only went to the beach road. It is nice. Apart from that we didn't visit any particular location, but drove around in the city.
Also, a little exciting news is that post my marriage immediately, we (now 4) will be driving again to Kolkata via same route. We will be going to Puri again and finally Kol. From Kol the 2 of us would be going for a trip either to GAngtok or Digha.

I havent been to Digha, so any info on route/road conditions would be of help. ALso Iam aware of route from Siliguri to GAngtok (incase I plan to go to Gangtok). But have no clue of road conditions from Kol to SIliguri. Would be great if any info can be shared.

Thanks and looking forward to travel more!

Kharagpur to Cantai road condition is very smooth and 3 lane high way. From Nandakumar Circle to Digha road is narrow and Bus are running in very high speed so avoid this area in night. Also if you visit to Mandarmoni the road is very narrow so also avoid in night.

For Kolkata to Siliguri the road condition is unknown by me.

Could you please let me know the road condition from Puri to Vizag. I am planing to travel from Kolkata to Vizag via Puri.

Thanks

Kharagpur to Cantai road condition is very smooth and 3 lane high way. From Nandakumar Circle to Digha road is narrow and Bus are running in very high speed so avoid this area in night. Also if you visit to Mandarmoni the road is very narrow so also avoid in night.

For Kolkata to Siliguri the road condition is unknown by me.

Could you please let me know the road condition from Puri to Vizag. I am planing to travel from Kolkata to Vizag via Puri.

Thanks
Bhubaneshwar / Khurda (nearest points from Puri) the road condition is amazing all the way upto Vizag. Please follow Rahul's TL in this forum very recently and you will get the exact picture.

All the best

I have did Kolkata - Puri - Vizag with my alto 800. It was a great tour. I have started the tour on 19th Feb and came back to Kolkata on 25th Feb. I am not good in English writing so not able to post the details. A am not also a very good driver. I get my driving licence on July 2014. But i had complete the tour successfully with my family without any problem. My family was not ready to go along with my alto to Araku Valley in Vizag. So here one Scorpio for Araku Valley and Bora Cavas.

Thanks for all of your support. After reading Rahul da and your post i have decided to complete the tour and succeeded.

Regards
Prasanta De

I have did Kolkata - Puri - Vizag with my alto 800. It was a great tour. I have started the tour on 19th Feb and came back to Kolkata on 25th Feb. I am not good in English writing so not able to post the details. A am not also a very good driver. I get my driving licence on July 2014. But i had complete the tour successfully with my family without any problem. My family was not ready to go along with my alto to Araku Valley in Vizag. So here one Scorpio for Araku Valley and Bora Cavas.

Thanks for all of your support. After reading Rahul da and your post i have decided to complete the tour and succeeded.

Regards
Prasanta De
Welcome to TAI Mr.Prasanta.You have taken a good decision not to go Araku in alto as you are new driver and its little difficult to drive in hilly area .I did 2 trips to Vizag from kolkata in my Swift.How was the roads in between Kharagpur to Balasore,still full of diversion[confused]?

Hi All, just joined the forum. I own a WagonR LXi Green (CNG). Planning a trip from Kalyan to Kolkata and back. Do you think it would be a better idea to rent a SUV for the trip? I will be travelling with my wife and daughter (5 yrs). Thanks!

Top Bottom