Kolkata To Mumbai Road Trip

So my grand day arrives sooner than expected. Leaving on Wednesday. The car got serviced yesterday and the lists for stuff to carry on tge way is doing the rounds. Excitement is in the air since not only is this a long exciting drive but also we reach before pujo.

M in the middle of the trip. Route: Mumbai - nasik - dhule (full stretch excellent road conditions). Dhule- amravati (bad roads, 2 lane mostly with bad tarmac). Amravati - Nagpur (excellent roads). Nagpur - raipur ( excellent 4lane toll road).raipur - sambalpur ( this is a war one.DONOT come here if ur faint hearted. Terrible is a small word for tge road. It doesn't exist. Not a single pothole..but only craters!! Super sized! Simply horrible. Single lane.dusty. trucks only )

Stopped in a hotel here. Will kp updates flowing .

Hello friends.reached kol yesterday and I thought I should give a summary f my trip asap which could b of help to others planning tge same route. As put in my above post,

Mumbai - nasik - dhule (full stretch excellent road conditions).
Dhule-amravati (bad roads, 2 lane mostly with bad tarmac).
Amravati - Nagpur (excellent roads all along).
Nagpur - raipur ( excellent 4lane toll road).
Raipur - saraipalli ( this is a war one.DONOT come here if ur faint hearted. Terrible is a small word for tge road. It doesn't exist. Not a single pothole..but only craters!! Super sized! Simply horrible. Single lane.dusty. trucks only. V few hotels or dhabas )
Saraipalli - sambalpur ( excellent 4 lane toll road.few diversions into 2 lane)
Sambalpur - keonjhar ( 2 lanes.good tarmac mostly. Through dense forest and 2 Ghats.latter ghat is 30km long. Good tarmac 2 lane. Advisable not to cross post sunset. Unsafe.)
Keonjhar - kharagpur ( war zone!! No roads in the orissa jharkhand border.craters worse than mars.DONOT do it post sunset. V unsafe as suggested by locals)
Khargpur- kol (4 lane expressway.v good tarmac)

Hope this helps.ideally avoid this route.unsafe.bad roads.v few good places to halt. If anyone planning, drop me a message for stopover details.

Hello friends.reached kol yesterday and I thought I should give a summary f my trip asap which could b of help to others planning tge same route. As put in my above post,

Mumbai - nasik - dhule (full stretch excellent road conditions).
Dhule-amravati (bad roads, 2 lane mostly with bad tarmac).
Amravati - Nagpur (excellent roads all along).
Nagpur - raipur ( excellent 4lane toll road).
Raipur - saraipalli ( this is a war one.DONOT come here if ur faint hearted. Terrible is a small word for tge road. It doesn't exist. Not a single pothole..but only craters!! Super sized! Simply horrible. Single lane.dusty. trucks only. V few hotels or dhabas )
Saraipalli - sambalpur ( excellent 4 lane toll road.few diversions into 2 lane)
Sambalpur - keonjhar ( 2 lanes.good tarmac mostly. Through dense forest and 2 Ghats.latter ghat is 30km long. Good tarmac 2 lane. Advisable not to cross post sunset. Unsafe.)
Keonjhar - kharagpur ( war zone!! No roads in the orissa jharkhand border.craters worse than mars.DONOT do it post sunset. V unsafe as suggested by locals)
Khargpur- kol (4 lane expressway.v good tarmac)

Hope this helps.ideally avoid this route.unsafe.bad roads.v few good places to halt. If anyone planning, drop me a message for stopover details.
Would be nice if you would have mentioned the km against each stretch that you have described

Hi. I sure will give a detailed log which could help including kms and hotels wth contacts. M in kol and would b driving back via bbsr vizag hyd mum route.will give complete details once bakbin mumbai. Tc.

Hello Nilav-
I am planning for a long trip from Mumbai to Angul(Odisha).

Could you please share the travel logs for Mumbai to Sambalpur?
Need the start time from Mumbai and all the halting place in your route.
Am planning to do the same route in my Wagonr..

I am planning to take the NH3 and NH6 till sambalpur, from there NH55 till Angul.
Tips and precautions..would be a great help. How bad is the road between Dhule to Amravati?

Last edited:
I did I mumbai to nagpur trip on 20th august in my friends 2011 nano the roads between dhule to amravati are average at most of the places say 50% then there well layed out tarmac for about 20 % and tgere are excellent roads for 10% then tye remainder is of bad roads. And one thing more the patch from khamgaon to amravati is like the roads are good but suddenly out of nowhere there are potholes and they are big ones so be careful of them. I completed the mumbai nagpur run in 15 hours flat solo I left from versova at 5 pm and was at my home in nagpur at 8 in the morning. Hope this information helps you.

I did I mumbai to nagpur trip on 20th august in my friends 2011 nano the roads between dhule to amravati are average at most of the places say 50% then there well layed out tarmac for about 20 % and tgere are excellent roads for 10% then tye remainder is of bad roads. And one thing more the patch from khamgaon to amravati is like the roads are good but suddenly out of nowhere there are potholes and they are big ones so be careful of them. I completed the mumbai nagpur run in 15 hours flat solo I left from versova at 5 pm and was at my home in nagpur at 8 in the morning. Hope this information helps you.
Thank you for sharing your trip details. How much you paid for tolls ? As I will be travelling interstate, what all docs I need to carry...

It was something around 320 rupees. From amravati to nagpur their are four tolls and they sum up to 150 rupees. And as far as the documents go you should have a valid RC a valid insurance and you should have your drivers license and a fleshly obtained PUC certificate and some loose change. You should also collect all the toll receipts and fuel bills from the petrol pumps so as you can justify your travel. And avoid traveling with excess amount of cash, because its election time in maharashtra and you will get many police check points on the way but dont worry they will just do a checkup and let you go. If you need anymore assistance PM me.

M in kol and would b driving back via bbsr vizag hyd mum route.will give complete details once bakbin mumbai. Tc.
Have you returned back to Mumbai? If so, please give us an update on the road condition. How much time did you take to reach Vizag from Calcutta?

I don't know if it already post here, If so please merge into appropriate section.

Todays 25/10 Telegraph Metro featuring this thread owner Anish Ghosh and his car caught at Kashmir Flood.

Tata Manza on the left with WB plate,

25paradiseri.jpg

Here is the complete article.

Diary of a Kashmir flood survivor

Last edited:
I don't know if it already post here, If so please merge into appropriate section.
Todays 25/10 Telegraph Metro featuring this thread owner Anish Ghosh and his car caught at Kashmir Flood.
View attachment 150071
Thanks for posting this. Had a small conversation with Anish this morning. His car was completely submerged in water and had to be transported to Jammu for repair. The service center guys are still working on his car.

My God!!!! I was completely unaware of this. The news article gave me goosebumps.[shock] Anyways its good to hear that they are all safe. Also wish his car gets repaired soon.

As on today morn, Anish said his car is still in Jammu workshop and the estimate is coming to more than 3 lacs.

Incidentally at exactly the same time I was also stranded in Srinagar and Anish and I were just metres away from each other, but though we are in regular touch over the last few years over the phone, this time neither of us knew each other being there till we read about each other in HVK forum

Hey everybody! Yes finally my trip was over.am sori could not post earlier.I will very shortly put in a travalogue on both routes. Hope that helps. Anyone planning a trip plan feel free to call me for suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom