Kolkata - Chandipur - Puri - Maiden trip on the Xylo

Thread Starter #31
Hello Chandranath,

Your posts are really interesting.

I was looking for a picture of a "Rocky Beige" xylo and seems like the one you have could be it. Can you please let me know the colour of your xylo?

Have you had any problems due to this colour? e.g. can't be patched up easily, repair parts, e.g. mirror, take long time to come (non std colour).

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Thanks for reading and finding the thread interesting.

Yes, the colour of my Xylo is "Rocky Beige" though it looks more like a moss green type. If you want to check more pictures of the car and re assure yourself on the suitability of the colour, you can find it in this thread gainst the backdrop of the mighty Himalayas.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ylo-takes-heights-north-bengal-himalayas.html

As far as patch up jobs are concerned I never had the requiremnt in the last 2 and half years. Repairs and other issues have never been a problem.

So go ahead and take a call.

You can post your pre buying requirements in the appropriate forum of TAI and you should get help from some experts.

Once you have bought your choice DO post an ownership review.

Welcome to TAI.

Thanks, Chandranath. I really appreciate your quick reply.
I had already taken a look at your Himalaya pictures :-)
I must say you are one helluva traveller.. god bless you and your family.

Rocky Beige:
When I look at the streets, I mostly find white and silver color cars.
Then there are red and black.
And then the others like blue, gray, and beige.
Greenish cars are rare.

The same color can be found on Scorpio and Bolero as well.

Yours is the first xylo that I saw having this color.
Have you seen this color on another xylo?

Thread Starter #33
Thanks, Chandranath. I really appreciate your quick reply.
I had already taken a look at your Himalaya pictures :-)
I must say you are one helluva traveller.. god bless you and your family.

Rocky Beige:
When I look at the streets, I mostly find white and silver color cars.
Then there are red and black.
And then the others like blue, gray, and beige.
Greenish cars are rare.

The same color can be found on Scorpio and Bolero as well.

Yours is the first xylo that I saw having this color.
Have you seen this color on another xylo?
No I have seen quite a few "Rocky beige" on the roads. But they are rarer to be found than the black, White & Red ones.

When I had bought it, White was not available in E4 model. Felt that the Black was better suited for the Scorpio. My choice was between the red (maroonish red) & Rocky Beige. I liked the latter as it would have been in sync with the nature whenever I would be taking it for a drive up the mountains or in the jungles.

Yes the Bolero & Scorpio do have the same colour.

Thread Starter #35
The answer can be why NOT the Xylo.

When looking for a car, I had zeroed in on Bolero, Scorpio, Safari & Xylo. Innova was way too refined for my attitude and expensive for my pocket.

I needed interior comfort and power at my hands.

Safari was something which I always adored but the interior space was less specially did not have a front facing 3rd row. So with a heavy heart shelved the plan.

Scorpio was good, but Xylo had bigger and more comfy interiors. The rear ac vents of the Xylo were roof mounted as opposed to the floor ones of scorpio and it had a 3rd row vent also with reading lights. Somehow the Scorpio interiors appeared cramped up for me.

Also checked on some technical specifications of scorpio vis a vis Xylo and found it had a higher GC with a longer wheelbase. So off roading was definitely on the cards. The only deficiency was it had a smaller wheel.

Powerwise the 113 bhp of Xylo to 120 bhp of the scorpio was nullified due to Xylo having a lower weight. Probably because of this all auto mags show Xylo winning the 0 - 60kmph drags. The top speed (though I will never attempt it) of Xylo is also higher than the scorpio in these mags. CC wise the 2.5 ltr of Xylo is surely a workhorse.

So now I needed to decide between the Bolero and Xylo. Bolero (VLX with 97 bhp) was very close to my heart. But it was not a practical, family car at a price of almost 7.5 lac on road. So for a change decided to let my head rule over my heart and went for the Xylo for its practicality.

The only thing I have to digest on a daily basis is the Xylo looks. Compare to the other ones mentioned (Yes I like the rugged Bolero looks also), the Xylo to me was by far the worst looking. But then expecting the looks to grow on me.

Last edited:
I admire your abilities to let your brain rule over your heart when it comes to cars.
I have seen people to come up with all sorts of reasons to justify the decisions of their heart, come up with all sorts of use cases, no matter how impractical / silly they are.
Kudos to you.

Looks of Xylo: I too hated the looks of Xylo, but later on got used to it, and even started liking it, so much so that I did not actually like the new look they launched which is supposed to be better. But I guess it is just a matter of time that I will start liking the new look too.

My criteria:
I need a family van - a people carrier. Therefore my criteria is the following (in that order):
Space and Comfort for the passengers. We are 4 + 2 parents + 2 additional parents.
Ride Quality - xylo is cursed for the body roll it has. More on that below.
Looks (among Winger, Eeco, Ace, etc.)
Cost
Goodies for the driver (horsepower, torque, etc.)

Ride Quality:
My test drives with Xylo, XUV, Sedans, on the typical 'pot-holy', trafficy, and also the winding roads (ghat) showed that you will get dizzy no matter which kind of a car you are in if the driving habits are not proper.
I found that most of the dizziness is actually caused by 'jerky' driving i.e. sudden pickups, sudden braking, cutting over the other vehicles. The inherent roll of the car just adds to or amplifies it. I discovered this when I was in the back seat of an Indica and SX4 and later Xylo.

I feel if some of these driving habits are changed, the overall passenger experience can be improved. Thus I feel the roll in Xylo can be _managed_.

Gentlemen,
I shall visit a place named Satkosia (in Orissa) later next week, when my daughter's school closes for the winter vacation. And I shall take the NH 60 from Kharagpur and plan to proceed almost up to Cuttack by NH 5. Although I have driven to Puri by this road earlier during the hours of the day, this time I wish to leave my home in Calcutta at night. And considering my route is a part of GQ and is a divided four lane road, driving at night should not be difficult. This way it will ensure that I shall reach outskirts of Cuttack at dawn, before I branch off to NH 42, a road unknown to me.

Although my Tata Indigo car (Petrol-MPFI) is six year old already, I take very good care of her and she is still in excellent condition. Just this year during summer I took her to Sikkim and she performed beyond my expectation.

Now, the question I am going to ask is this, considering myself to be the only driver in my car and is being accompanied by my wife and eleven year old daughter, will the journey be safe at night? I have heard that there are stretches of road in Orissa which is not safe at the middle of night due to the naxalite problems.

Please post your opinions friends, as I am planning to schedule my journey as per your suggestions.
rahul da te trip is fine until u get close to satkosia as long as u make sure u ener satkosia by 11:30 am its ok

rahul da te trip is fine until u get close to satkosia as long as u make sure u ener satkosia by 11:30 am its ok
I reached Satkosia by 10-00 AM. But I did not stay there, as rooms were not available. Initially I decided to stay at Angul town but one of my friend who stays nearby at Talcher town offered me free accommodation (at the guest house of the company he works for). Satkosia was about ninety minutes drive from Talcher, I could see.
328.jpg
Here is a picture of Satkosia gorge. I hope you will like it. Some more photos of the road is available here. Please have a look if you like it.

Top Bottom