Know about Giants MAIT HR 260 and Manitowoc 12000

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
It’s been long time since I was planning to visit a construction site.
Finally with huge expectations, I landed in L&T construction site building flyover across Chennai city.

Before I start, better fasten your seats and have a junk and drink near you. You won’t be moving anywhere for sure.

To start with, let me explain some basic machines involved in constructing beams for flyovers.
1. Piling rig
2. Cranes

Piling rig is the one that makes the job of drilling the ground to put beams. All these machines are advanced that digs the ground without any sound. So, next time if your neighbor says anything like he/she is getting annoyed by any construction site, ask him/her to update his knowledge.

Piling rig machines are the ones that come from Italy. They are perfect Italian built. It also becomes easier to dig and the entire job gets over in a jiffy. Flyover constructions are no more difficult.

MAIT HR260
Since the machine was very busy, I was not able to get my hands on it. Here are specifications and some pictures for you.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Water cooled Diesel Engine with a horse power of 330 HP. Yes it also has turbo charger.
Fuel tank holds up to 400 liters. Weights around 60000 Kg.

Now comes to the running cost.
This monster drinks 25 liters of diesel per hour. 12 hours of operation per day. This brings up 300 liters a day. It takes only few hours to complete one full dig. The depth can be up to 60m. The diameter can be up to 80 inches.

Here are some eye candies.
As you see, the machine was very busy. So I was not able to try this but, I managed to take some pictures inside.

This is the dash of machine. It has got enough highlighting indicators in it which includes hydraulic oil level, hydraulic temperature, Oil filters and some more.

This shows the RPM and the engine temperature.

You could see a guy operating the rig. They say it as Auger. It also has a monitoring system.

It also has couple of 12V 60AH batteries coupled with the alternators (50A). The base rotor and the alternators are coupled to the engine.

MANITOWOC
This beast has got some stuff in it. This is a crane.
This is often used to fix 30m rods to the pilling rig. Also used to lift the drill bits.

SPECIFICATIONS:
6-cylinder water cooled diesel engine with turbo charger.
Maximum torque: 1300 Nm
400 liters of fuel tank. Can lift up to 110 Ton.
Two 12 volt 136AH capacity batteries with 50A alternators.

This beast drinks 30 liters of diesel per hour. You know the rent of this beast??
It’s 16.5L per month. That means 55K per day approx which includes 300 liters of fuel.

Going to the pictures:
Back view of the beast

Front view.

Fuel and temperature meter

All in one display to monitor the angle of the crane and its current load.

Here I go, Inside the cabin. Nice road presence hmmm

So many controls to deal with. Only experts can handle.

Here is the part of engine.

Hmm yeah finally something common between cars and beast.

Some more

Last but not least. See the key of this beast:
Splendor bike key :P

Cheers,
Marun

350Z

Core Team
Excellent information and images, Thanks for sharing! I spot similar monstrous machines at Delhi Metro Construction sites. Keep that coming.

Drive Safe,
350Z

good pics buddy. share some detail info also about these giants. and why is the splendor key used to start that machine??

Excellent thread Marun. You have described it really well. 5 Star rating from my side too.

Before I get nostalgic, let me start typing. I remember when I was very young, we used to live in SAF games village (presently behind today's Koyembedu (Chennai) bus terminus, yes, Asia's largest bus terminus). The construction of the bus terminus was on almost 24*7, and it was often difficult to catch sleep at night, thanks especially to pilers and drillers. Yet, I often used to wonder what was going on there. Thanks for this brief, well-laid out and impressive article, Marun.

Hey great thread Marun! BTW you too a civil engineer? Which site is this actually? I know the functions of these beasts but this is the first time am seeing it in such close quarters! Man 16.5L a day and 300Liters of fuel! Maintaining this beast is quite costly!

@ Arkin Thats great! We once searched for a home in SAF village when i was young but couldn get one!

Thread Starter #10
Hi Cooldhaya,

I am not civil engineer. I did my electrical engineering and jumped into software. [lol]
16.5L is not for a day dude. Its for a month.
It comes close to 55K per day. Maintaining is damn costly.

I forgot to add one point here. Since these machines are working in a muddy environment, lubrication is a must often.
One full bag of grease is required each and every time. [frustration]

A used machine itself cost around 4C in india. Have 10C if you want new crane and 8C for piling rig in your pocket. [frustration]

Hey great thread Marun! BTW you too a civil engineer? Which site is this actually? I know the functions of these beasts but this is the first time am seeing it in such close quarters! Man 16.5L a day and 300Liters of fuel! Maintaining this beast is quite costly!

@ Arkin Thats great! We once searched for a home in SAF village when i was young but couldn get one!

I dont know dude. The guy who is an expert in these machinery came in a splender bike and used the same key. [confused]
good pics buddy. share some detail info also about these giants. and why is the splendor key used to start that machine??

Wow marun , that is great .

Have seen them when comming back from chennai in bus , these machines were so huge , and about the sound , i could just hear engine sound kinda , when the bus halted hear it for 5 min .

good write up and cool pic .

Top Bottom