Kia Picanto Caught Testing - Indian Launch Possible?

Thread Starter #1
guys, this is new kia picanto which is now sold in in korea but it can be replacing hyundai i10 in future in our country..looks very futuristic like chevy beat to me. i think it will be wise to launch here if they are serious i will say bring it on hyundai!! [thumbsup]

Attachments

Please Hyundai, Bring this to India. It looks a lot muscular as compared to the current i10. Is it jst me or the face is looking similar to beat?

i10 in India has received a face lift pretty recently. So doubt whether this version would be coming to India any time sooner.

The Old Kia Picanto was based on the Santro/Atoz. Since the i10 has replaced the Santro internationally, I guess this car is built on the i10 platform.

350Z

Core Team
May be in future, we can expect a possibility that New Kia Picanto will replace the current generation of Hyundai i10 in India. This car looks stunning, and it is great to see that at least some manufacturers are evolving and coming up with better designs.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Kia Picanto Spotted Testing in Chennai

Not so long ago, there were speculations flying around in the media about the possible entry of Kia, Hyundai's sister brand into India. Hyundai promptly refused the rumors and said that Kia's plans for India was shelved and it is not going to make it here anytime soon. Coming from Hyundai itself, it was reason enough to believe that Kia is not destined for the Indian market and close the chapter. Well, it is time now to reopen the Kia subject as a friend of mine spotted, snapped and sent me the picture of a bright green Kia Picanto doing rounds in Chennai.

This the closest and clearest shot yet of the Kia Picanto in India. What on earth would a Kia small car be doing here with 'Test' registration plates and its badges and logo masked? Like some manufacturers do, Kia could be conducting some global tests on the Picanto in India to test its worthiness without any intentions to launch it here. Or, it could well be using the existing Picanto's body shell to test the underpinnings of the next generation i10 and Picanto as the two share many components. But, we wish to believe otherwise.

With no less than 4 small cars in its lineup that already overlaps between each other in price and positioning, Hyundai has left no space to launch another small car here to grow further and increase their volumes. Obviously, the next phase of growth for Hyundai can only come through Kia and this test mule has just sparked all speculations about the possible launch of the brand in India within the next few years. Though Kia shares most of its models with Hyundai, they have a completely different design language and the interiors are all-new as well.

Globally, the Picanto (Morning in Korea) is a successful model for Kia that has been raking in big volumes. It shares its power-train, chassis and all the basic underpinnings with the i10 and to many eyes including mine, the Picanto looks much better, bolder and aggressive than the i10. Who knows, Hyundai could even be planning to surprise us all in the 2012 Auto Expo by bringing in the Picanto and showcasing the Kia brand to the public. I, for one, can't wait for more information on this. We are waiting for you, Kia!

Source :ANYTHING ON WHEELS

Attachments

AMG

Suspended
Re: Kia Picanto spotted testing in Chennai

Must be on a global test.

Or maybe its here for Auto Expo.

Is road test essential for appearing in Auto Expo - I am not sure.

As a global test vehicle - most probably.

For Indian market- I feel Hyundai may not launch a small car under Kia brand at present. As far as my understanding of Hyundai's recent launches goes, Hyundai is trying to project itself as a upmarket brand- not just any other VFM brand. Verna, i-10 (2nd Gen), Eon - all are priced a little premium over MSIL products, albeit with more features. Infact as far as feature & interior quality is concerned, Hyundai is king in sub 10 lakh segemnt-better than Honda & VW.

Therefore at this juncture, if Hyundai tries to launch a small car from Kia's stable under Kia brand name, won't it dilute the Hyundai brand somehow?

However for >10 Lakh segments , situation is very different. Hyundai needs premium cars which they presently do not have in their basket. So Kia can do wonders for them in that segment.

All in all, Kia Picanto in India- I am skeptical at present.

If Hyundai launches Kia then say good by to Hyundai. Kia really has the power to surprise, anyone seen the kia optima??

350Z

Core Team

Therefore at this juncture, if Hyundai tries to launch a small car from Kia's stable under Kia brand name, won't it dilute the Hyundai brand somehow?
I don’t think so. At the end of the day, both the brands will be selling their cars under different badges. This will not really hamper with Hyundai’s image. In fact, it could prove beneficial for the company if they decide to bring Kia brand in. Just look at Skoda and Volkswagen. Both the manufacturers are siblings but selling their cars with marginal price differences. Either ways, in whatever proportion the consumers buy: they will have both the hands full. Picanto looks like a promising product to me but only if they price it correctly. There are many interesting cars in their range which I would eagerly look forward for in India.

Here are some more clear spy photographs:

kia-picanto-testing-chennai-04.jpg

kia-picanto-testing-chennai-01.jpg

kia-picanto-testing-chennai-06.jpg

kia-picanto-testing-chennai-02.jpg
Source: Riotengine.in

Drive Safe,
350Z

In the 1st spy pic of post 14, vehicle is LHD. Wouldn't Hyundai test its RHD version if they were to bring it to India?

Top Bottom