K&N vs Green Cotton vs... (Air Filters)

Thread Starter #31
Re: K&N v/s Green Cotton vs.. air filters

If by only changing air filter you gain power then why don't the manufacturers use these filters as an OEM.IMO this cannot be marketing gimmicks or tax saving on low power vehicle or something like that which happens in other countries.

After spending 5k or more on the filters if I am not happy with the power gain I have to fake my expressions .Wow what a boost something like this :lol!:
manufacturer has to consider a lot of factors while plonking a motor into a car. it is not just power but reliability, longevity and fuel efficiency too.

just changing the airfilter maynot be of much help but modifying entire air inlet and outlet circuit will definitly show much difference.

for example just changing the tyres wont do much of help in transmission side but changing certain gear wheels or gear box itself will change entire nature of car (though such things are not done in india yet but people do it elsewhere)

for everything there is no free bread anywhere..need expertise,resources and most importantly vitamin M..!!

Now that makes sense but I have someone who has all these fancies like the ffe and cold air intake system. I TD'd his vehicle( OHC) there was a slight increase in power but the thrill to have so much power was missing as I know what thrill I get in my ritz of swift ddis for that matter. His ohc was like ok types and the engine was not smooth. I told him these things and obviouisly the person spent 4k on filter and 7k on the cold air intake and some big price for the ffe and with ohc being 90 horses under the hood the car was doing not so good and his words were like "kitna to pickup hai yaar tujhe aisa lag raha hoga ki utna he hai" that's when this question came to my mind.
He did the mod job with the best modder in mumbai (forgot the name) so question of job being done not nicely is ruled out.
Its just my opinion not to blame anyone here.

Thread Starter #33

Now that makes sense but I have someone who has all these fancies like the ffe and cold air intake system. I TD'd his vehicle( OHC) there was a slight increase in power but the thrill to have so much power was missing as I know what thrill I get in my ritz of swift ddis for that matter. His ohc was like ok types and the engine was not smooth. I told him these things and obviouisly the person spent 4k on filter and 7k on the cold air intake and some big price for the ffe and with ohc being 90 horses under the hood the car was doing not so good and his words were like "kitna to pickup hai yaar tujhe aisa lag raha hoga ki utna he hai" that's when this question came to my mind.
He did the mod job with the best modder in mumbai (forgot the name) so question of job being done not nicely is ruled out.
Its just my opinion not to blame anyone here.
thats where true expertise becomes mandatory.though one might have changed ffe and air filter yet the engine wont show up much of change possibly due to internal electronics injections which wont allow..!! then what -a re-map? that is another 15k-25k .

even changing FFe wont always help much ,as there are catalytic convertors at engine outlets and a modder may or may not be aware of that fact .
end of the day person doing mod job in india is 60 percent helpless with all present new generation cars due to above mentioned reasons apparently.

That's true, someone should be knowledgeable to carry on the mods else be the Victim.
Well I shouldn't have started it here by discussing this. Sorry mods!.

this is one debate which will never end. There are also other performance filters like Ractive, Pipercross, Cosworth etc. Personally I do not feel like spending on these. Just put a K&N sticker on your car and feel good (people say just the sticker adds 2-3 BHP to the car [;)]).

Just put a K&N sticker on your car and feel good (people say just the sticker adds 2-3 BHP to the car
:lol!:
I have better experience with K&N.

For those who are interested in cheaper options, take a look at these:
http://myworld.ebay.in/arrowheadfilters/

This guy is a member of another forum and many members have bought from him. The reviews are quite positive. I just remember 1 case where a person was not satisfied. Not only did he take it back but asked for feedback to rectify the shortcomings.

Please note, I have not used any of his products, though I am thinking of picking up a filter for my i10. I am also in no way associated with the manufacturer.

Hey friends some interesting thread !!

Oh !! it is a real hype. with my own experience I can say both are waste of money and its a hype that they boost the power enormously and reduce the black smoke[surprise], but,

This is absolutely not correct. Just stick to the stock filters and change them at regular intervals, that will be more good to your vehicles health [:)]

No offence for the guys who got good results out of them !![clap]

Oh !! it is a real hype. with my own experience I can say both are waste of money and its a hype that they boost the power enormously and reduce the black smoke[surprise], but,

This is absolutely not correct. Just stick to the stock filters and change them at regular intervals, that will be more good to your vehicles health [:)]
+1, Even my advice is to stick to stock filter's as it suits the engine better than these aftermarket product's

Main difference between K&N and Green Cotton filters is that green cotton do not need oil when being serviced where as the K&N's do.You can say green cottons are a little more better (dont know why , but that's what majority of people say)

Green Cotton Stock replacement (if available) will cost you rs 4500.
Green Cotton Storm ( performance oriented) will cost you around rs 6000.

There are no adverse effects as such with any kind of performance filters unless its branded & been put by someone who knows what he is doing.

Compression ratios cant be altered unless you open up the engine.
If the filter is installed properly it wont cause any probs to the turbo or your engine. [cheers]
i heard that kn filters will suck dust which will reduce engine life?is it true?

Need quick reply

Recently I installed a HP high power air filter to my splendor+.I is attached directly to the carb's air input.The problem I am facing is that wen i cross 90kmph my bike starts to choke.But there is very good improvement in the acceleration.Do I need rejetting.Is it possible for me to fit it inside the Stock air filter box.

Thanks in advance.

I went for conical cosworth filter for my I10 Magna.

I also had options for K & N filters. I know they are the best in business but i don't know why I went for cosworth but to my surprise it has given me a good amount of boost in my car.

Changes which I noticed:

1. Acceleration Difference. Hugely Improved.
2. Mileage Improvement not too much but noticeable.

Only one drawback that the engine noise has increased a bit which makes me feel at high rpm's that I need to up shift. When driving at speed of 120kmph the noise is scary. Before I have driven at a speed of 140kmph it was ok but now it make me real scary.. hahahaa ... But the sound make you feel that you are driving a Galardo not a I10.. hehe

My apologies for reviving an old thread.
Mods, I posted same query on another thread "Hyundai Xcent S 1.2 - My Daily Commute - Owner's View (3rd Service Update @ Pg.13)", Post# 310. Please merge them if necessary.

Hello everyone,
I am looking for stock replacement high performance air filter for my grand i10 petrol.
Out of K&N, BMC and green cotton, which one should I go for? Are all of these diffrent or getting anyone will do the trick.

Also, I contacted automech in Delhi and the owner said that the company has not yet fabricated a FFE for grand i10, shall I go for cat con removal and put a straight pipe.

Please have a look at the video having comparison of Stock paper filter, K&N filter and green cotton filter.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxNEwx1XWo

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello everyone,
I am looking for stock replacement high performance air filter for my grand i10 petrol.
Out of K&N, BMC and green cotton, which one should I go for? Are all of these diffrent or getting anyone will do the trick.
I have used a K&N Filter in my Ivtec Honda City. The performance increase is marginal in comparison to stock filter. The performance with a K&N filter just gets boosted by 2-3% only. So after using it for about 2 years I reverted to stock one and going good with it. If its really necessary only then go for the performance filters.

Regards

Akash

I have used a K&N Filter in my Ivtec Honda City. The performance increase is marginal in comparison to stock filter. The performance with a K&N filter just gets boosted by 2-3% only. So after using it for about 2 years I reverted to stock one and going good with it. If its really necessary only then go for the performance filters.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash1886 for the info. So it's not worth the money spent.
I was looking for one as the in-gear acceleration with AC is not satisfactory, would it make any difference or still the same.

What difference you felt with the K&N filter on, the sound of course I guess, slight increase in acceleration/ torque (low/mid/high-end), etc.

Top Bottom