"Jerks" While Shifting Gears in Ford Figo

Thread Starter #16
So in summary:
1) The clutch can be at fault and the service center people will neglect it unless and until it totally gives away. Also deterioration can take years.
2) Check if its under warranty. I have heard people getting the clutch changed in their Figo under warranty and hence might be another reason why SA is more interested to say that the clutch is OK.
3) Bad clutch will affect FE, at least it did in my case.

Long write up, so hopefully it is of help to someone.
Thanks Chayan. That was really helpful.

I have reported this issue at every service and even have visited ASS particularly for this reason. The one best solution they do is, adjust the Clutch Beading and do a Mass Lubrication which would make this issue to disappear for a while, maybe 2 - 3 weeks. But again, back to square one.

Again, with the Low FE issue, I was trying to connect the Dots and this is one thing which is always haunting me. I have reported this as well while we went for Mileage Test etc. But none of the Service Advisers or Managers seems to be bothered about it. Rather, they would say, this is quite common in any Ford Car.

BTW, I recently heard that Clutch isn't covered under warranty, or maybe only up to 10K KMs as it has regular wear & tear. Should this be true? Recently, another Figo user, whose clutch had given up had posted in the FB.

Thanks Chayan. That was really helpful.

I have reported this issue at every service and even have visited ASS particularly for this reason. The one best solution they do is, adjust the Clutch Beading and do a Mass Lubrication which would make this issue to disappear for a while, maybe 2 - 3 weeks. But again, back to square one.

Again, with the Low FE issue, I was trying to connect the Dots and this is one thing which is always haunting me. I have reported this as well while we went for Mileage Test etc. But none of the Service Advisers or Managers seems to be bothered about it. Rather, they would say, this is quite common in any Ford Car.

BTW, I recently heard that Clutch isn't covered under warranty, or maybe only up to 10K KMs as it has regular wear & tear. Should this be true? Recently, another Figo user, whose clutch had given up had posted in the FB.
http://capitalford.net/images/warranty.pdf

Clutch seem to be covered only for ikon, fiesta and fusion. Not sure why Figo is left out.

Guys that is realy wierd !! Figo has a very good engine. I never felt any jerks. Might be your fuel has some issues or octane level is not normal. I never heard of such issues. My fiends most of them own a Figo inspired from me [:)] They all are happy. Only thing they complain is GC is very low and feel underpowered on highways. All were geting an average of 16kmpl.

Thread Starter #19
Might be your fuel has some issues or octane level is not normal.
Would you think the Fuel used for all 40K+ KMs are bad? No doubt that Figo is an excellent car and that's the reason I too own one. But, faulty parts / premature wear out is inevitable and very common in any car. Figo isn't an exception either. I am suspecting some issues with the Clutch, maybe I could be wrong too. But what else could be?

I too have driven other Figos and few of my friends have driven my car too. This issue is observed only in my car, yet FASS isn't ready to accept or diagnose or even suspect any such issues. That's my major concern.

Figoian, I Just went through the entire thread and the issue which you have been facing doesnt look like a minor one. If it had been an issue with your driving, you would have experienced it with all the cars. My suggestion would be to shoot a mail to the higher ups of Ford India along with the issue history (Read records) and express your desire to get it checked by a Ford Engineer since no dealership mechanic is able to identify the fault. I am pretty sure you will get a positive response.

Would you think the Fuel used for all 40K+ KMs are bad? No doubt that Figo is an excellent car and that's the reason I too own one. But, faulty parts / premature wear out is inevitable and very common in any car. Figo isn't an exception either. I am suspecting some issues with the Clutch, maybe I could be wrong too. But what else could be?

I too have driven other Figos and few of my friends have driven my car too. This issue is observed only in my car, yet FASS isn't ready to accept or diagnose or even suspect any such issues. That's my major concern.
Ok so time now to change your service dealer. Explain them your issues. If no results write up to ford. Meanwhile you also can take suggesions from other multibrand service centers like TVS, mobil, That might help you

Thread Starter #22
Ok so time now to change your service dealer. Explain them your issues. If no results write up to ford. Meanwhile you also can take suggesions from other multibrand service centers like TVS, mobil, That might help you
The dealers I reported this issue so far were Talera Ford & Planet Ford in Pune and Metro Ford & Elite Ford in Bangalore. All have the same fixes to do and same response to give. That's why even I thought it may be not something to worry about. However, when I drove my friend's Figo, that wasn't the case and that triggered me to think about it seriously. Moreover, the low FE is adding fuel to the fire and makes me to think more in this issue.

Figoian, I Just went through the entire thread and the issue which you have been facing doesnt look like a minor one. If it had been an issue with your driving, you would have experienced it with all the cars. My suggestion would be to shoot a mail to the higher ups of Ford India along with the issue history (Read records) and express your desire to get it checked by a Ford Engineer since no dealership mechanic is able to identify the fault. I am pretty sure you will get a positive response.
Valid suggestion Akash. Since, both Metro & Elite aren't showing much interest on this issue, I may probably have to visit Lathangi which is in the other side of the city. If they would also have the same response, then will escalate to Ford India.

BTW, when you say it doesn't look like a minor one, what issue could that be in your mind?

Oh boy it is bad that no one could fix your issue. I would suggest you going for My Tvs. They really fixed my Chevy Optra AC issue. Even Chevy service center did not know the issue. The issue was strange like when in idle AC compressor would work but when we start driving the comprossor would stop.

@Fiogian

I agree with Akash here completely. We have one Figo(my close friends, parked next to my office) and I frequently use that and I have never experienced this kind of jerk and it s FE is also quite good around 16 to 17km in city with AC.

Yes, there is something wrong in your car seriously and it needs a through check and dealers seems to be not very serious on the same. Please shoot out mails to Ford higher management even to the MD and hopefully they will look into the matter immediately.

I also have similar issues.

For my 10 K service, i have complained about it, and they said they will something in gearbox and after that it'll be OK. It was kind of fine for about 1-2K km. Now i'm about 16.5K, and problem is really bad just i'm too lazy to take it to ASS. Though may be a few more months, and then can take for service.

Yesterday i drove a new figo ( my friend got it just few months back). it's gear shift are so damn smooth after driving that i'm sure it's nothing to do with my style of driving, and more to do with car itself.

I get about consistently about 14 kmpl since start mine is normally 70% city 30% highways since i didn't observe any degradation in FE, my feeling was it could be some minor issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #26
I also have similar issues.

For my 10 K service, i have complained about it, and they said they will something in gearbox and after that it'll be OK. It was kind of fine for about 1-2K km. Now i'm about 16.5K, and problem is really bad just i'm too lazy to take it to ASS. Though may be a few more months, and then can take for service.

Yesterday i drove a new figo ( my friend got it just few months back). it's gear shift are so damn smooth after driving that i'm sure it's nothing to do with my style of driving, and more to do with car itself.

I get about consistently about 14 kmpl since start mine is normally 70% city 30% highways since i didn't observe any degradation in FE, my feeling was it could be some minor issue
Hi Khalidalig - First of all, welcome to TAI & Figo Family [:D].

Guess, you have the same issue too. What they normally do in this case is, just adjust the Clutch Beading and do a Mass Lubrication, which would work for a few KMs and will again kick in. It's just a temporary solution to keep the customer happy that they have fixed the issue, in reality it's not.

I wouldn't suggest you to wait for the next service as they would do the same again, because, this is one of the jobs in a routine service. Whereas, if you visit them specifically for this purpose, this may be attended as needed.

BTW, I tried it in both way but yet to get lucky to fix it [lol]. However, why not try it again, one more time?

Which dealership you reported this complaint?

Which dealership you reported this complaint?
I have taken it to Lathangi. During regular service i have reported but it wasn't addresses. When i got my vehicle back after service, it wasn't done. I wrote to their management. They reverted back, took the vehicle again, and then it was done.

Also, when i went to take delivery for my friends Figo, the sales person told me (as a promotion point) that there was some issue with gear box in older model, specially when changing between 2-3 gear, and it has been rectified in the facelift model. Probably he wasn't aware that i also own figo. When i told him i own Figo, and wanted more specific details on this, he backed off.

I don't know if it makes sense for me to goto Lathangi again, mentioning about previous incident, or try some other dealership.

Thread Starter #28
Also, when i went to take delivery for my friends Figo, the sales person told me (as a promotion point) that there was some issue with gear box in older model, specially when changing between 2-3 gear, and it has been rectified in the facelift model. Probably he wasn't aware that i also own figo. When i told him i own Figo, and wanted more specific details on this, he backed off.
Mmm hmmm... that's something fishy. Yes, my friend too have a facelifted model and the gear works like buttered.

I don't know if it makes sense for me to goto Lathangi again, mentioning about previous incident, or try some other dealership.
Honestly, no dealer is so great to mention. I have tried them all except for Lathangi, and all are just same. Metro Ford, the well praised in the entire Bangalore city is good in terms of interaction, communication, attitude etc. If it's a general service, yes they are good. But, that's all until you go to them with a real problem which they can't fix or even diagnose. Then their attitude will change upside down and try to give you all possible illogical logics to close the case. I even have a worst experience, almost like a fight with the General Manager of Metro Ford. It's worth to say that other Technicians / Service Mangers / Advisers are much better than him.

Elite Ford, not even worth a visit. They won't even attend you until you scream. Once, I visited them just for Wheel Alignment and spoke to the Customer Relationship Manager, who is already well acquainted with me during prior visits for few other small works. After about 15 mins and reminding her twice or thrice, she sent someone to prepare the Job Card. And, it's been 45 mins or more, the car was not even attended. When I checked with her again, she said, "the work is already underway Sir". I astonished, "Whattttt??? Even when the key is with me???" Now she is astonished. Then I started screaming as the whole floor turned their heads towards me, someone appears from nowhere to take the key from me. On the whole, it took more than one & half hours for a simple Wheel Alignment which is done in flat 10 mins outside. In addition to that, the billing took more than 20 mins, despite of informing the billing section while going for Road Test.

I once have visited Lathangi for my friend's car deliver and another time for just a discussion on Body Shop work, but did it in Metro Ford. It's way too far as I stay in other side of the city. However, thinking of visiting them for my FE issue.

Anyways, coming back to our case, the Service Manager in Metro Ford told me that, "all Ford Cars have this issue generally. It's quite normal and you can't do anything about it." How do you like it? And the Asst. Service Manager in Elite Ford advised me not to give throttle after releasing the clutch so that it could reduce the jerk. Boss, is this a solution?

I am clueless either. Either I should escalate to Ford India and have Metro Ford work on it again. Else, we both can jointly visit Lathangi.

If you feel it is a gearbox issue, why not ask them to replace it with one from the new model.Be direct with your demand, why beat around the bush.

What kind of warranty does Ford have on the drive train?If you do find that the turbo is has failed and the gearbox has issue, you might as well ask them to change the entire drive train since you have been facing issues since day 1.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
If you feel it is a gearbox issue, why not ask them to replace it with one from the new model.Be direct with your demand, why beat around the bush.

What kind of warranty does Ford have on the drive train?If you do find that the turbo is has failed and the gearbox has issue, you might as well ask them to change the entire drive train since you have been facing issues since day 1.
Thanks Jarpickle. Have got a list to check in my next visit [clap]

I have asked the dealer to set aside the FE Concern and concentrate on the Clutch/Gear/Jerk issue and Engine Oil Consumption as I believe, fixing these will automatically solve the FE problem.

Top Bottom