Jeep Grand Cherokee & Wrangler Debuts in India (Details Pg.9)

Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs arrive in India

Both, Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee have arrived at Fiat India plant in Ranjangaon near Pune. The SUV’s landed earlier this week, at the Fiat plant.

Fiat India will be launching Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in India by 4th quarter of 2013. First look says, India will not get the open-top variant of Wrangler while Grand Cherokee will raise the bar of luxury SUV segment in India. Both these SUV’s are scheduled to start their test runs in India from next week.

Both Wrangler and Grand Cherokee will cover every possible terrain, India and Nepal has to offer. The test team for Jeep SUV’s have been given a target of achieving 150,000 kms under test runs over the next few months. Jeep recently launched the 2014 Grand Cherokee, but India will not be receiving that. According to our source, Fiat India will launch the 2013 model year of both, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
As far as pricing is concerned, Fiat India will launch the Jeep Wrangler in the Rs 30 lakhs segment where BMW X1 and Audi Q3 compete, while the Jeep Grand Cherokee will find its way in the Rs 45 lakhs segment where Mercedes ML250, Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Volvo XC60 compete. [shock]

At the Fiat India plant, both these JEEP vehicles are being checked, before being handed over to the test teams. Fiat India will not camouflage the Jeep SUV’s while on test in India, so expect the internet to be flooded with spy shots of Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler. In a way, promoting the brand before its is officially launched later this year.

Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs arrive in India | Rush Lane

Attachments

Re: Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs arrive in India

Both, Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee have arrived at Fiat India plant in Ranjangaon near Pune. The SUV’s landed earlier this week, at the Fiat plant.

Fiat India will be launching Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in India by 4th quarter of 2013. First look says, India will not get the open-top variant of Wrangler while Grand Cherokee will raise the bar of luxury SUV segment in India. Both these SUV’s are scheduled to start their test runs in India from next week.

Both Wrangler and Grand Cherokee will cover every possible terrain, India and Nepal has to offer. The test team for Jeep SUV’s have been given a target of achieving 150,000 kms under test runs over the next few months. Jeep recently launched the 2014 Grand Cherokee, but India will not be receiving that. According to our source, Fiat India will launch the 2013 model year of both, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
As far as pricing is concerned, Fiat India will launch the Jeep Wrangler in the Rs 30 lakhs segment where BMW X1 and Audi Q3 compete, while the Jeep Grand Cherokee will find its way in the Rs 45 lakhs segment where Mercedes ML250, Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Volvo XC60 compete. [shock]

At the Fiat India plant, both these JEEP vehicles are being checked, before being handed over to the test teams. Fiat India will not camouflage the Jeep SUV’s while on test in India, so expect the internet to be flooded with spy shots of Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler. In a way, promoting the brand before its is officially launched later this year.

Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs arrive in India | Rush Lane
wooh. I got goosebumps already. Waiting for the launch but yeah, the price is a bit too steep! [cry]

Re: Jeep Wrangler & Cherokee Launch Confirmed For End-2013

And there is no question both are superb products I have never sat in the wrangler but I have sat in the grand Cherokee in Doha last year .
And what is your first take on grand cherokee, in terms of road presence, looks etc. ?

And what is your first take on grand cherokee, in terms of road presence, looks etc. ?
Its superb , has great ride quality and real macho I like it more then the Audi q5 and BMW x3 .
Looks like Mahindra clone.(An Indian food for thought)
Lol [lol] that was great one , reminded me of real life incident , my sisters 7 year old daughter saw a old dilip kumar movie and said , dilip kumar imitates shahrukh khan .

Jeep has a proud heritage with it but recent models are degrading IMO. Recently came to know about a 'Moose Test' conducted by a magazine where Cherokee failed in it. Die hard Fiat fans will argue but still that is a big question mark on the Cherokee now.

Posted a thread on the test: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...jeep-grand-cherokee-topple-prone-vehicle.html

Its superb , has great ride quality and real macho I like it more then the Audi q5 and BMW x3 .

Lol that was great one , reminded me of real life incident , my sisters 7 year old daughter saw a old dilip kumar movie and said , dilip kumar imitates shahrukh khan .
Thanks. And Dilip kumar eg. is indeed [lol].
But what I mentioned was Cherokee & not wrangler, & there is no mahindra uv which comes even remotely close to Cherokee.

Jeep has a proud heritage with it but recent models are degrading IMO. Recently came to know about a 'Moose Test' conducted by a magazine where Cherokee failed in it. Die hard Fiat fans will argue but still that is a big question mark on the Cherokee now.

Posted a thread on the test: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...jeep-grand-cherokee-topple-prone-vehicle.html
See the comments of Jaydev & superbad below. I agree.
2 things we need to see -

a.) Was the test genuine,
b.) The braking & steering movement compared to say Volvo.

More importantly, SUVs are not meant for high speed cornering. This is best left to sedans & sports cars. If roads are like race tracks, why shall one take proper 4x4 SUV ?? [lol]

And if such moose test is performed on UVs like scorpio or even Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endy; it will topple atleast dozen times in single go. Now does this mean scorpio becomes crap ? [lol]

This one is outgoing model of Grand Cherokee, India will get face lifted one. After I get some good quality pic, I will put it here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Feb 11, 2013
Following Fiat’s announcement in December that Jeep will officially enter India this year, here are the first-ever spy shots of the India-bound Jeep models spotted by reader Jim Gorde.

The first product to hit our shores will be the iconic Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler made its debut in 1987 as the successor to the famous World War II Jeep, also known as Willys CJ (Civilian Jeep). The latest-generation Wrangler (code: JK), like the original CJ, uses front and rear live-axles. Fiat is testing the short as well as the long wheelbase versions (as can be seen in the photo), and is likely to launch both in India. The Jeep Wrangler arriving here is expected to be powered by a 2.8-litre common-rail diesel engine that’s good for 197bhp.

The third car in the photo is the Grand Cherokee. Codenamed WK2, this fourth-gen model is powered by a 3.0-litre common-rail diesel that makes 237bhp. The Grand Cherokee was recently given a facelift that included some cosmetic as well as mechanical upgrades such as an eight-speed gearbox. Although the car in the picture looks like the pre-facelift version, we expect Jeep to launch the updated model in India. The WK2 is based on the current Mercedes-Benz M-class – it is thoroughly modern and promises to offer superb off-road ability with plush, comfortable interiors.

Initially, both the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee will be offered as CBUs.

There are two more models in the pipeline for Jeep in India. The first of these is a B-segment SUV that could share underpinnings with the upcoming Fiat SUV and a second SUV that might be based on the Jeep Compass – currently the smallest model in the Jeep global line-up.

Chrysler has already set up an R&D centre in Chennai that houses about 1,000 employees and is the third-largest Chrysler R&D facility worldwide.

SCOOP! Jeep's India line-up spotted | News | Autocar India

Attachments

Forget Cherokee, I’m now more interested to check out Wrangler after seeing her capabilities on “One car too far”. It’s a ‘Jeep’ thing in real sense for sure.
But do you think Fiat would be able to price Wrangler under 10 lacs
I have a gut feel that this 'One Car too Far' serial will help Mahindra sell few extra units of THAR and CJ.:biggrin:
For this price, you will have to be satisfied with "One Thar too far"!

Re: Tata Storme vs Mahindra XUV5OO - Which One To Choose?

This one is :offtopic: but I need some help in deciding it & no better than this thread -

Can anyone suggest some good SUV in price range of 40L ? [confused]
Shortlisted ones are Audi Q3, Merc ML 250 & Range Rover Evoque. Confused whether to wait or not wait for Grand Cherokee. This will be the first premium SUV in our circle, & I have been trusted to do the job. Now I need to be sure I don't mess up 40L.
:help:

Re: Tata Storme vs Mahindra XUV5OO - Which One To Choose?

This one is but I need some help in deciding it & no better than this thread -

Can anyone suggest some good SUV in price range of 40L ? [confused]
Shortlisted ones are Audi Q3, Merc ML 250 & Range Rover Evoque. Confused whether to wait or not wait for Grand Cherokee. This will be the first premium SUV in our circle, & I have been trusted to do the job. Now I need to be sure I don't mess up 40L.
evoque wont be available under 40 L i guess. a friend on another forum bought if for 75L.

audi Q3 fits the budget very well though.

Grand cherokee would mean FIAT and by the history of your love to FIAT , sure FIAT is not your choice.[;)]

Top Bottom