Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [35K Kms Crossed]

Thread Starter #241
Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [19K Kms Crossed]

^^ Thats one amazing review!, dunno how i missed it![frustration]
How does this compare to the pro or the A129

^^ Thats one amazing review!, dunno how i missed it![frustration]
How does this compare to the pro or the A129
Thank you sir ji [:)]. The Pro is essentially an upgrade over S with 5MP sensor and 1440p resolution, but no Sony sensor. 129 on the other hand has wi-fi and rear camera which leaves us with scattered options. I wish they included wi-fi on all their product range. [frustration]

Hi Iron Rock!
First of all congratulations on a great vehicle which you have. It's truly lustworthy.
This thread has been a mountain of information and I am picking up the 2018 high version in grey color this week and looking at the following accessories. Request your Feedback and advice on them.

Bedliner-isuzu/maxliner. The maxliner is around 8k lesser than the Isuzu branded version. Wanted to know if it's equally good and if it's missing anything. And is it worth it?
I also was interested in the bedrug liner(the concept seems great for typical Indian family use patterns) and wanted to check if we can get it anywhere in India or any similar alternatives available which you can suggest?

Rear tailgate strut

http://bluegarage.in/Automobile-Store/easy-shocks-for-tail-gate?PId=1625

For that price Is it any good? As I have a 5 year old monkey of a kid who is going to mess around with that tailgate for sure and I don't want my wife making me regret my vehicle choice on day 1.
4wd switch protector

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Four-wheel-drive-switch-protection-Box-for-Isuzu-D-MAX-MU-X-2-colors-to-choose-/172641955447

Again with a kid I think the above is a must. Any locally available alternatives which you can suggest?

Soft lid and roll bar:
I am looking to install a soft lid with a compatible rollbar as most rollbars don't work with softlids due to the way of their installation and usage. I checked with the carryboy rep from Facebook (Thailand support I believe) and they suggested the following

Carryboy cb-743(softlid) and cb-766p(softlid compatible rollbar). But the dealer doesn't have stock of either. Do you happen to know where I can get these or any alternates which you can suggest? I am open to any other good brands as well.

Mats:
The showroom isn't giving any. I am planning on 7d mats which cost around 7.5k. any feedback on those? Again, any alternates which you suggest?

Tyres:
I plan to go for 275/16/70 as per your suggestion and wanted to get an approximation atleast on what I can hope to get for the existing brand new tyres?

Roof console:

https://www.4wdinteriors.com/products/roof-console

Is this available anywhere? Again cheaper
but good quality alternatives are welcome!

Hope you can help me with your recommendations and help calm down my hyper excitement!

Thread Starter #245

Hi cUjO your excitement is very well understood! Congratulations and when is the delivery expected ?
Bedliner-isuzu/maxliner.
There are similar, in some cases i have seen cheaper ones are thinner - check with Pavan Anand (Jeepkart India) - I use/abuse a bed liner - no problem whatsoever especially washing is easy - not as much sure with washing the bedrug liner - you also have linex as an option , would be expensive but hardy/permanent!

Both are must have, for item 1 check with pavan too, for item 2 aliexpress is your best bet.

Soft lid and roll bar:
To be honest i am not a fan of either, all soft lids leak eventually or in heavy rain and that defies the purpose for me. Also the roll bars mounted on rear are cosmetic in nature only and serve nearly no purpose otherwise or in case of a roll. Armadillo in SA have some good quality soft lid, but importing it will be painful unless you have a way or importer from SA.

Mats:
The showroom isn't giving any. I am planning on 7d mats which cost around 7.5k. any feedback on those? Again, any alternates which you suggest?
Check with Avinash at Moto Adda online - he might have some good options. He keeps quality stuff.

Tyres:
I plan to go for 275/16/70 as per your suggestion and wanted to get an approximation atleast on what I can hope to get for the existing brand new tyres?
Again Pavan is your man - I would suggest you go for 265 size in Cooper or Continental or Geolandars - 275 is borderline size and more suits if your purpose is offroading and all. All depends on what your purpose is and are you planning to change alloys too ?

Someone was selling this in delhi let me see if i can find a contact for you. But my only worry is it shouldn't sag the roof liner. Keep posting :)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #246
Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [20K Kms Crossed]

20k Service Report
As I am getting more and more conversant with the Isuzu , i am managing my own service schedule of sorts - i am servicing the vehicle every 10k with the intermittent checks i between done myself.

The following were the items at the 20K service :-

• Oil -> Went synthetic this time for the first time , Shell 5W-40 Full Synth went in!
  • Oil Filter - Replaced
  • Air filter -> Just cleaned
  • Fuel Filter - In the Isuzu they dont change till a light pops up in the dashboard - for me thats too late already - I am thinking 20k (which is high) was a good interval to change. If you are filling at non trusted pumps you might need to keep a closer eye. I usually fill at Shell and CoCo pumps.
  • Brake Pads Check and cleaning - 7mm left at 20k - i think I am doing well, the original brake pads were constant complain at isuzu and many have changed far early in the cycle - however with my usage and even with the bigger tyres I dont think 30-40k is going to be any problem.
  • Cleaning the Leafs and Greasing
  • Torquing the suspension/underbody/shackles etc
  • Intercooler pipes removed, cleaned and fitted back
  • A little distilled water added to the battery
  • Aeroklas lid gears oiled
  • Diff oils checked visually
  • Carried my own grease gun and cleaned and lubricated both the shafts

Some pictures :-

Getting it on the ramp for through inspection and under-body torquing
IMG_20180627_114637.jpg
Rear brake drum checks
IMG_20180627_114622.jpg
Oil Drained out and filter removed
IMG_20180627_122535.jpg
Shackles tightened
IMG_20180627_123750.jpg
They asked me to change AC filter at 20k, i politely refused, i had cleaned it myself just a week back, and it looked and worked fine, didnt see the need for change at 20k
IMG_20180627_114618.jpg
Drive Shafts and nipples for greasing for both the front and rear - make sure you clean and grease at regular interval , it only needs a minor amount of grease through a gun, excess will lead to dust accumulation and serve no purpose practically.
IMG_20180627_124408.jpg

IMG_20180627_124413.jpg

IMG_20180627_124418.jpg

IMG_20180627_124432.jpg
Liquid gold goes in the isuzu heart!
IMG_20180627_130758.jpg

Strangely there was no placebo effect post the service and even with the synthetic oil, i didn't feel any difference in the engine, may be just the highway run got better - Isuzu engines are built to run forever and perhaps well with lower grade oils too - saw a 5 lakh run dmax(commercial) - stock engine on mineral oil! However the synthetic oil just makes me sleep a tad better at night - probably the impact is more on the driver than the vehicle.

There was also a performance upgrade done - but more on that in a separate post!

Last edited:

I think I missed this thread completely. When I found it the performance upgrades are already on the vehicle.

Good going man. Check out the high rise D-Max mod. I will see if I can the link.

Congrats.

Thread Starter #248

^^ Looks like i need to find and chase your XUV - seen many red ones in pune streets but never yours.

The vcross is totally customized now - but i am staying with the principle of daily/regular use mods - Big lift kits make it unusable for day to day or highway runs. Hence I am sticking to changes that keep the vehicle balanced for regular use and also trying to follow a staged upgrade process.

Thread Starter #249

Upper Arms from Overland Installed :-

The vehicle has been incrementally built up with bigger tyres and also a suspension lift - one of the things that that bigger tyres immediately do is put a stress on the steering and as well the geometry of the joins. In my case though it was minimal as lift is less than 2 inch and also OME is beautiful with regards to performance on or off road.

However there was still a very slight strain (very minute vibrations on turns, very low frequency) - it was something no one else can notice but i could feel being a regular user. The strain on steering was coming due to the bigger tyres and elevated suspension geometry.

To fix this I ordered Upper arms from Overland - Overland Plateau - Delivery was promptly done by Avinash from Moto Adda (great chap who helped with all my questions and installation doubts). Installation is straight forward you pop out the tyre, and the 2 bolts from top and the ball joint bolt below. It takes about an hour for both tyres.

While i had researched and foreseen the after effects, there was 1 item i didn't foresee, the longer arms now brush the tyre at full lock - at full lock minus less than half a steering it doesn't! This is probably because i have stock alloys with no offset and 275 tyres - it is minute hindrance now and i am avoiding full locks at the moment - have some workarounds in mind but i am going to keep it as-is for the time being under observation.

Once of the best after effect was finding an exceptionally good alignment guy in Pune, something i was looking for a while, I have been to many places for many vehicles and most of so called alignment guys cant think beyond the computer readings and standard procedures. Well in a lifted trucks the standard readings and calibrations dont help - So Imran bhai at Omkar alignment (near magarpatta city) helped out. Very well experienced and has a great team - highly highly recommended for all alignment jobs any vehicle including an ambassador (old school guys will remember how difficult it could be to adjust camber on a Ambassador)!

Some pictures from the installation below :-

IMG_20180627_144105.jpg

IMG_20180627_150207.jpg

IMG_20180627_150217.jpg

IMG_20180627_145652.jpg

IMG_20180627_160726.jpg

My Alignment and balance is perfect now plus the steering stress is totally gone !

Last edited:

Again, the amazing mods keep going in! This is a very desirable truck now. Since you have mentioned overland... what about making it those overland trucks? [;)]

Thread Starter #251

Thank you sir, long time, you been missing! Yeah having an over-landing vehicle is somewhere in the horizon, whether it will be the isuzu is debatable. If you noticed, they took most of my inputs from the first page for the upgrade vehicle(high version), why they still kept a 55L tank is beyond me!

Thank you sir, long time, you been missing! Yeah having an over-landing vehicle is somewhere in the horizon, whether it will be the isuzu is debatable. If you noticed, they took most of my inputs from the first page for the upgrade vehicle(high version), why they still kept a 55L tank is beyond me!
Indeed been a long time. Just recovering from my accident so normalizing life plus 3 months (i was on bed rest) of over due work to finish off.

I think rest upgrades were easy to incorporate. The tank would require some more modifications to implement I guess.

Thread Starter #253

^^ Very sorry to hear that type-r i wasnt aware - hope you have recovered fully, wish you a quick normalization!

Long range tanks(143L) are available, they will take a lot of underbody space and also reduce GC, i dont want to reduce the GC.

hi friend, can you tell me where I can buy this kit for isuzu please? thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #255

hi friend, can you tell me where I can buy this kit for isuzu please? thank you.
Hello friend which kit are you looking for the Isuzu , which isuzu variant and where ? Great if you can elaborate.

Top Bottom