Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [35K Kms Crossed]

Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [15K Kms Crossed]

Couple of updates made recently :-

Firstly finished the rear suspension job by installing a JS1 shackle (which comes with 2 inch lift) on stock leaf.
Sorry couldn't help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N_KpjLhJa1k

Moderators pl delete if inappropriate.

Moderator Iron Rock pl buy some nice 5ft stilettos to climb inside the Isuzu; as a wise Texan once sang:

Ooooo eee yaaahhh some fellas are born that wayyyyy

That everyun' an' his *** calls 'em gawd gifted

But yeah oh yeah rite muh couldn't care no less

'coz I just gotten muh f***in pick up lifted.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #212

wecross sir, 2 inch is hardly anything for a lift, if you go to yankee land you will see what lifts are !
You will need a ladder not stilettos.
By the way my inspiration was more local this guy/legend rather who suggests going to upper level :biggrin: (ok enough trolling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLcxsyz_Vig

1) My Vcross was remapped in my parking lot by the world famous Jeep Captain(Shibu) - Yes its Pete's

2) I have seen lot of remaps going wrong and ECU's frying up. But I found Pete's is very safe and does not participate in the rat race of numbers(read as power) - tuning can be done till you melt down everything really - so that way i find Pete's most conservative and has a safety first approach. If you want he does even extreme stage 2/3 tunings - but wont suggest it for day to day usage. If Isuzu ever issues a ECU update yes there is a chance to overwrite - i doubt if this will happen - even if it does i am sure the tuners can re do and give you the updates at no cost. Tuning updates are free with Pete's.

3) I wouldnt recommend Dieseltronic at all - period. Remaps are any day better.
I also wanted to do a remap on my Storme, still confused on which one to pick. Any suggestions?
Wanted to go with the most reputed brand in business for it - Petes, but from what I heard they dont have a remap option yet for Safari Storme, thats a shame. [anger]

Where is your ownership thread of Storme sir, please share. It will be wonderful to read.
Havent started one yet, wanted to do some miles on the beast before coming up with a thread, I personally prefer that. Will do so soon.

Thread Starter #214

I also wanted to do a remap on my Storme, still confused on which one to pick. Any suggestions?
Wanted to go with the most reputed brand in business for it - Petes, but from what I heard they dont have a remap option yet for Safari Storme, thats a shame. [anger]

Havent started one yet, wanted to do some miles on the beast before coming up with a thread, I personally prefer that. Will do so soon.
I would not recommend a remap on the storme (and for that matter XUV as well). There is usually a very good reason if Pete's doesnt do it!

I will eagerly await your thread.

I would not recommend a remap on the storme (and for that matter XUV as well). There is usually a very good reason if Pete's doesnt do it!
Any particular reason why you do not recommend a remap on Storme? I was under the impression that Pete's doesnt do the remap on this car as its not an international vehicle. If am not wrong, all the Pete's centres here use the remap formula defined and perfected by their tuners overseas, for the international car models. Only the flashing and implementation is done here at stores.

Thread Starter #216

Yes by and large its a master /slave set up - but these days most ECUs are readable and support one or the other protocols from the Kess tools - however and with a pinch of salt some ECUs are programmed really flaky ( read as less tolerant or harder/riskier eg - XUV, Storme) - So my suggestion is to avoid.

Pete's do plenty of other local vehicles, so not exactly a case of international vehicles.

Thread Starter #217
Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Ownership Review: Remapped 165BHP [16K Kms Crossed]

Some more minor updates, finally sorted the wiring for the fog lights on the Hamer bumper and plonked in a DRL procured from aliexpress(10$), immensely bright, hope it lasts! The Hamer DRLs i have disconnected as it isnt as bright as the one I have installed.
Notice closely there is a "H" in the fog light in amber - have connected this to the side indicator now. So there are 4 lights which indicate i will be turning or changing lanes - i think i am now officially eligible to be a rapper :biggrin:

IMG_20180225_124503.jpg

And here is what the Isuzu has for company sometimes, the mighty Hexa(in my books the best Tata effort yet!) will finally feel humbled on the size front, this doesnt happen too often.

IMG_20180305_124435.jpg

IMG_20180305_124522.jpg

IMG_20180305_125355.jpg

IMG_20180305_124244.jpg

IMG_20180305_124300.jpg

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

DRL procured from aliexpress(10$), immensely bright, hope it lasts! The Hamer DRLs i have disconnected as it isnt as bright as the one I have installed.
Install an inline 8A or 10A diode to drop the brightness and power by very little bit. But life will be far better. Chinese DRL chips are almost always overdriven for brightness and 'pop'

I will eagerly await your thread.
Any reason you do not recommend this on AVL 2.2 Engines?
I believe refreshed XUV will come with 170HP. So I think there is some leeway left in both 2.2 engines with 140HP State of tune.
Code 6 offers 195 HP dyno tested (they said) on these AVL 2.2 blocks.

BTW beast is looking so cool.

Yes by and large its a master /slave set up - but these days most ECUs are readable and support one or the other protocols from the Kess tools - however and with a pinch of salt some ECUs are programmed really flaky ( read as less tolerant or harder/riskier eg - XUV, Storme) - So my suggestion is to avoid.
Any reason you do not recommend this on AVL 2.2 Engines?
I believe refreshed XUV will come with 170HP. So I think there is some leeway left in both 2.2 engines with 140HP State of tune.
Code 6 offers 195 HP dyno tested (they said) on these AVL 2.2 blocks.
To be honest, even I was confused with this response from IronRock, as I had heard of a few people doing remaps on Stormes and XUVs from Code6, T8, etc. and many using the tuning box (which I do not prefer).
Additionally,even Storme was launched with an upgraded (with a different state of tune on pretty much the same engine) engine with 400NM torque and 154BHP against the older tune state of 320NM and 138BHP.

bhvm

Honoured Member

One of my friend owns a remapped 2.2 Dicor (Original 140/320nm, Remapped 168HP/420NM) and he is using it for 2~3 years now. No problems as such.

XUV uses pretty much same block. Electronics are different.

Thread Starter #221

Gentlemen an aftermarket tune and a manufacturer given upgrades are two completely different ball games - a manufacturer has the access to update not just the ECU but the entire car and every physical component including varying tolerances across the board by updating components (software apart) eg:- turbo/injectors/exhaust/clutch plates/brakes etc. They dont really technically advertise what else was done when the power was bumped up!

A tuner can only vary so much in a software - also if you notice the standard principles of upgrade which include stage 1/stage /stage 3 - you will see how the incremental upgrades have to be done considering the entire cycle of combustion from inlet to exhaust.

A tuner can tune 25-30% more or even higher - but the point is can your turbo handle it , can the inter-cooler cool enough ? can the clutch handle the new peak torque ? what happens to exhaust and cat? etc etc - there are n number of such items one needs to consider. Tolerances across the board have to taken in to account and if continuous strain is put, it will eventually impact somewhere else.

Also a tuned vehicle for a few years running fine doesnt mean much - practically could be a owner driving in the same old fashioned way without hitting tolerances - ex:- i have a 210+ bhp Pajero sport - i havent upgraded any other physical component - yes i do better over takes once a while and have that little bit extra fun - but I am careful not to overdo it and hit the tolerances all the time and put strain on the system. I still drive it the same old fashioned way and still get 12-13.5 kmpl in my old driving style.

My suggestion was not do it in such vehicles - as i found them flaky ECU wise(especially the XUV) and tolerances gamble might not be worth it - unless you are wanting to experiment , take your chances and be an enthusiast, but do understand every upgrade can come with its set of issues it will cause downstream. I have a good friend who has upgraded the Vcross to 196 bhp dynoed on the wheels - yes he has an upgraded turbo/exhaust too(and many more) and is a true blue enthusiast who is willing to take chances - and yes he has a fair share of problems too which the upgrades created and which he is prepared to handle. So make the changes and be aware of the caveats is the moral of the story.

Meanwhile here is a must see video for Isuzu owners especially - all about their history, its a nice watch!

Last edited:

Totally agree with your points IR and am well aware of the implications these upgrade could cause on the several other aspects. My intention is not to do extreme remaps to achieve threshold point of power or performance. All I want is a reduction in the turbo lag for the Storme as its infamous for this aspect and practically makes it a pain to handle in city bumper-to-bumper traffic.
My suggestion was not do it in such vehicles - as i found them flaky ECU wise
Do you mean the ECU is not good on the XUV, Storme, etc. in comparison with the likes of Fortuner, Pajero, Endeavour, V-Cross, etc? Am not really clear on this part. [confused]

Thread Starter #223

Good or not good is a very relative term, but in tuners language these ECUs have a higher rate of trouble when tinkered with, compared to japanese names you have mentioned. Thats the only reason I am asking you to err on the side of caution.

For the Safari turbo lag issue, see if there are any after market throttle controllers available that would fit the storme - this is usually a cheaper option and might reduce the felt lag in a different way. Please note these things dont increase bhp or torque.

bhvm

Honoured Member

All I want is a reduction in the turbo lag for the Storme as its infamous for this aspect and practically makes it a pain to handle in city bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Do you mean the ECU is not good on the XUV, Storme, etc. in comparison with the likes of Fortuner, Pajero, Endeavour, V-Cross, etc? Am not really clear on this part. [confused]
1. TF, I have never heard storme being low on torque in traffic. Infact its one of the most easiest vehicle to drive. No throttle needed. Just release clutch and go. Maybe you should try driving in one gear shorter, so that engine comes in its power band. Storme engine is fantastic after 1800 RPM

2. I have seen OBD sellers explicltly mention their OBD does not work on Tata & Mahindra. Or if you plug it in, it does not properly read all the data. Maybe the protocols they use are not standardized enough. Also there could be internal changes in ECU from time to time where information is not advertised. Early storme buyers actually had DICOR engines in just storme Body. Proper storme took further 1 or 2 generations to mature up.

3. They way current XUV runs, I think I will worry first about open roads rather than a remap. [clap]

Hello Friends, finally have booked this humble ride... awaiting for its arrival in coming week. Kindly help in choosing and buying the cover for its rear deck. The JMD Pune showroom options are very expensive hence looking for alternate options, also looking for Tyre upgrade , request suggestions on it as well. Need suggestions in Pune.

Last edited:

Top Bottom