Issues With New Volkswagen Polo GT TSI

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a new VW Polo GT TSI. It is only a week old and has done about 300 km on the ODO. My colony has bad and bumpy roads, there are also many flyovers with bumpy and damaged roads. On these parts, the car drives quite differently than on a freeway. In the bumpy and sloppy roads, the car tends to remain in a higher gear. I feel it unnecessarily shifts to D1 when I drive over a bumpy road full of potholes. This gives a slight jerk and the jerk is also felt to other people sitting with me in the car.
When the car was new, it used to upshift quite early (below 2000 rpm), but now on those roads it shifts quite late (mostly between 2000 to 2500 rpm and sometimes as high as 3000 rpm) and all this in the D mode. Since the car is in running in period I never use the S mode.
There is issue with braking as well. Lets say I am driving at 40 kph at D4 and there is a speed breaker ahead, I push the brakes lightly and the car downshifts to D2 or D1 immediately which adds engine braking to the braking I have applied and hence feels like a jerk. People sitting in the car feel that I braked suddenly, but in reality it is the hard engine braking which is added when the car downshifts to D2.
All these problems happen on sloppy, bumpy and damaged roads and on good roads like freeways the performance of the car is quite good.

I had done test drives of 3 different Polo GTs from 3 different showrooms before buying the car and none of the test drive cars had this issue. [frustration]

I took it to VW Whitefield Bangalore service center. A technician came for a drive and said that its quite normal and nothing is wrong with the car. But I know something is just not right. I am worried because it was like a dream car for me and now after buying it I really don't enjoy the drive because of these jerks.

Anyone from Bangalore who owns a GT TSI, please let me know if they can test drive my car and let me know if there is really some issue or its just my imagination.

I think you are fretting a bit much.At 300km, the car is still very "New". I hope you realize that the ECU is also "learning" the driving characteristics right now, and it is using it most optimized parameters for deciding the gearshift. My suggestion would be, in the D-mode, don't spend time monitoring the response, RPM etc. Not worth it because of the highly dynamic urban traffic scenario.
BTW-I own a 2017 GT TSI too. In my society, the terrain is uneven and there are number of speed bumps for pedestrian safety. When I take my car out of the premises, the car alternates between D1-D2 from time to time in exactly the manner you described. Once it's out on the streets, it becomes normal.

Last edited:
How is the DSG doing now? Any updates?
After the Running In phase, what are the gradual changes (if any) you have noticed in the DSG behavior?

Last edited:
I bought a Polo GT TSI back in 2019 and I'm facing similar problems. It is not much of an issue on the highways but it is so irritating to drive in the city traffic as the car jerks when it downshifts from 4th to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd. This happens more so when there is sudden braking or when the roads are a bit rough. Was your problem fixed?

Top Bottom