Is the Hyundai i20 CRDi a VGT or a FGT ?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2011 Hyundai i20 CRDi 6 Speed . A question which makes me inquisitive is that does the i20 Diesel have a Fixed Geometry Turbo or a Variable Geometry Turbo? [confused]

Inputs appreciated .

Regards

350Z

Core Team
I own a 2011 Hyundai i20 CRDi 6 Speed . A question which makes me inquisitive is that does the i20 Diesel have a Fixed Geometry Turbo or a Variable Geometry Turbo?
i20 CRDi is neither FGT nor VGT. If I'm not mistaken Hyundai calls it WGT (Waste Gas Turbocharger). But it is similar to FGT though.

Drive Safe,
350Z

FGT, WGT are all trade names. Basically a turbocharger uses exhaust gases to boost inlet air pressure. Speed of turbocharger is determined by a nozzlering. When the nozzle ring is fixed it is called FGT or WGT. The latest technology is to control the nozzle ring apertures externally. This is called variable geometry turbocharging (VGT). Latter shows better efficiency at wider range of engine speeds, hence better power and milage output.
I feel I went off-topic. But I am sure my friends will be able to understand the system better.

FGT, WGT are all trade names. Basically a turbocharger uses exhaust gases to boost inlet air pressure. Speed of turbocharger is determined by a nozzlering. When the nozzle ring is fixed it is called FGT or WGT. The latest technology is to control the nozzle ring apertures externally. This is called variable geometry turbocharging (VGT). Latter shows better efficiency at wider range of engine speeds, hence better power and milage output.
I feel I went off-topic. But I am sure my friends will be able to understand the system better.
So you mean, i20 has a fixed system for it? ie, similar to FGT?

i was thinking FGT means the turbo opens @ a fixed rpm

VGT means the turbo will open @ variable rpms for each gear. like 1400rpm in 1st gear, 1800 rpm in 2nd,...

then how will be a difference of 12 bhp regarding the FGT & VGT turbos of the same engines 1.3 DDis

anand: yes i20 has a conventional turbocharger (FGT).

emperor: Nice question. Look, the exhaust gas from engine is directed to a set of nozzles (nozzle ring). This drives a turbine, which is connected to a compressor (or blower). This compresses the intake air. This compressed air, when goes to combustion chamber imparts better combustion, hence better efficiency, better power. This way more power is obtained from same engine.
At lower rpms, exhaust gas pressure will be low. So turbine will rotate at lower rpm. So its efficiency will be less. This is reason why we have turbo lag.
To overcome this, variable geometry turbo were developed. In this case, the aperture of nozzles can be changed externally (This is the basic difference between VGT and FGT). When engine is at lower rpm, nozzle aperture is throttled. This causes increase in the pressure of exhaust gases. This causes the turbine to rotate faster------that means better compression of intake air------- that means improved combustion.
So by using VGT, efficiency, power output is maximised for a wider range of rpm.
One practical example. Swift power output is somewhere around 76 bhp. while that of a Manza is 90 bhp. Both have same engine. While swift has FGT, Manza has VGT.

Top Bottom