Is My Car Ready for a Long Drive?

Thread Starter #1
I'm a student-cum-amateur driver, i've not serviced my vehicle from past one year or so. My car - Maruthi 800 has not caused me any trouble on the road. I ocassionally check the air in the tyres, and drive 50-100 km at max in a month.

I just got an idea of making a trip to Bandipur from Bangalore, which is at least 200km away. Trip to Mysore is also on cards. How can i know whether my car is ready for a long trip? What are the technical details that i need to know before a trip.

Ok mreccentric. There are few questions.
  • How far have you driven your car in past one year?
  • When was last proper servicing done?
  • How old is your car?
Well there is a simple checklist which you can follow. Fellow mates, please add if I miss out something.
  • Check air pressure of all wheels, including spare wheel.
  • Keep spare headlamp bulbs.
  • Check tools and jack.
  • A torch.
  • Check engine oil level.
  • Check brake fluid level.
  • Check coolant level.
  • Check PUC is valid.
  • Keep copies of car documents and insurance.
  • Carry valid DL in original.
  • A travel phone charger.
There's many more that can be added. But if time permits, do get a servicing done prior a long drive.
Mates, I have left many items. Kindly add from your side.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ;)
How far have you driven your car in past one year?
As said earlier, i use ocassionally. From past one year i might have driven about 500km, that's all. If i be lenient, then it would not reach more than 800km.
When was last proper servicing done?
How old is your car?
I dont remember the exact last servicing date, but it was somewhere near the start of 2011. I don't have the bills/receipts too, as i gave it to some nearby mechanic.
The car is 17 Years Old.

Keep spare headlamp bulbs.
You mean to say, buy some extra bulbs from a dealer?
Check PUC is valid.
Whats PUC?
Keep copies of car documents and insurance.
Carry valid DL in original.
Is it that important to have car document copies? Why do i require a original copy of DL? Cos i never keep the Original copy, it'll always be at home

You mean to say, buy some extra bulbs from a dealer?
yes, one bulb will be enough

Whats PUC?
Good joke (btw, its Pollution under control certificate which has to be obtained once in six month )

Is it that important to have car document copies? Why do i require a original copy of DL? Cos i never keep the Original copy, it'll always be at home
its good to have original copy of docs if you are driving on highways.

also, i will advice you to get your car a service before your trip.

Thread Starter #5
yes, one bulb will be enough
Even if i buy a bulb, i dont have the skills to fix it.

Good joke (btw, its Pollution under control certificate which has to be obtained once in six month )
Thanks... i know it as Emission Test.
its good to have original copy of docs if you are driving on highways.
I heard that police will threaten to pay hefty fine if we keep the original documents. I didn't understand what happens if i keep only the photocopies of every documents. What consequences will i face?
also, i will advice you to get your car a service before your trip.
Yes, surely. I need to service it from an authorized service station soon. But, i've never used the vehicle that much, it makes me feel that the oil needs no change, so does the car require no service. Correct me if i'm wrong. I got the battery charged about few months ago.

From past one year i might have driven about 500km, that's all..

Whats PUC?

Leave alone the car. First you need to be ready for a long drive dear mreccentric.

PUC is Pollution Under Control certificate.
This certificate is required for all vehicles (if they are more than 1-2 years old)

It is important to have all documents in your car if you are going for a long trip. (Its simple logic. If you are on a local trip, then might be able to convince cops to produce the original later which is not possible if you are away during a long trip)

To go to Bandipur, you need to go through Mysore (at least through some bye-pass road near Mysore)

Bandipur is a protected area. You are not allowed to stop or park your vehicle other than at designated points.

If you are not a regular driver and no experience of long trips, then its better to have at least one person with you who is a good driver.

Take care of those important things clearly mentioned by nozzlering.

Thread Starter #7
Leave alone the car. First you need to be ready for a long drive dear mreccentric.
Bandipur is a protected area. You are not allowed to stop or park your vehicle other than at designated points.
If you are not a regular driver and no experience of long trips, then its better to have at least one person with you who is a good driver.

Take care of those important things clearly mentioned by nozzlering.
I'm ready for the trip, i have an experience of driving car for few years. As you said, i'll have an experienced driver while on the ride. I only need to learn to overtake on state highways, where the vehicle come and go in seconds.

Thread Starter #9
Why not get it checked once by local mechanic.

Also check for coolant, brake oil, engine oil.

Check all the lamps.
Yes, i'll get it checked/serviced before i make that trip.

Coolant is 33% full, Brake Oil is 70% Full, Engine Oil is there. I just remembered this, one of my friend said that i shouldn't check these. These are controlled automatically by the service mechanic. So, is there a necessity of having check of brake oil, coolant and engine oil. I did not come to know more about engine oil, it's colour is ... I'll better post an image.

Lamps were glowing properly.

By asking How far you have driven your car, I meant how many kms have the car run in past one year. [:)] I had put it in confusing way. Anyways it was just to make sure, how bad your car needs to go for servicing. It needs to go anyway.
Dhruv and autosafari have already cleared your doubts.
Your friend is ignorant on this matter. He is giving you a wrong advice.You should always check these basic things. If you've an all time driver, then he should check these things. But if you're driving yourself, then as a driver of the car, you should check these basic things, whenever you take out your car for a drive, ideally. Yes mechanic will definitely check them once you take car to him. By not doing so, you become a bad driver, even before you start driving.
As of engine oil colour, let your mechanic decide.

Last edited:
You cannot be so sure if your car is okay to do long trip

its a mechanical thing.
I have seen brand new cars breaking down.

To be on the safer side , do service your car every 5000kms/ 6 months whatever comes first.
Check bulbs , viper blades , water etc

Thread Starter #12
Yes, thanks for the replies. I'm surely going to service the car soon.
Just because i said, i'm posting the image of the engine oil. The level of it seems to be okay, but about the color i don't know. Anyway, i'll be servicing the car soon.

Attachments

Though much cant be said by looking oil in picture. But it seems carbon content is low. And engine hasn't run much after last change. Others, you'll get to know better at the service station.

Mr , you cannot really tell by looking at the engine oil
Viscosity is a different thing to color. When you say A grade 10w40 , it all comes down to some temp factors and Viscosity .

My car's engine oil goes dark justafter 100 kms but it still viscous . Get it checked

I agree codename. there are many factors which cant be checked by a photo. There could be water contamination. And many more factors.

Top Bottom