Is it worth to spend extra and go in for a Scorpio/Xylo instead of a Fiesta/Polo/i20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Is it worth to spend almost 1.5 lakh extra (excluding 8%*5 interest[frustration]) and go in for an SUV - Scorpio, if not, a Xylo E4, instead of a sedan like a Fiesta/i20?
Our usage is pretty minimal, and will be limited weekend city drives and quarterly highway trips. Ours is a family of 3, mom, dad and me. Grandparents visit often. Also, apart from this car, we have 2 other cars with us.
I'm in a dilemna and dad still seems busy enjoyind the i10 and right now says he doesn't need a huge car, but he wouldn't mind one for me.

So what do you guys say?

Also what do you think about the Xylo, when compared to the scorp.
Please tell me about the "Scorpio MD21" (If I've got it right). Which engine does it come with and how much will it cost ex-Bangalore?

Scorpio base model comes with bolero engine.
xylo base comes with 2.6 cc prev gen scorpio engine

Do not ask what engine does bolero base model have ...

m2di is older gen engine , buy them if you are on tight budget , else go for a 2.2 mhawk scorpio .

in xylo go for e4 model onward

of the 2 i wold select scorpio though xylo is cheaper for its feature , just for one simple reason , i like rugged looks

Hmmm and abt 1.5L extra .

fiesta/i20 will give more mileage than a scorpio.

decision is yours!!

350Z

Core Team
Nothing much to say other than quoting a line which I said in another thread.

...but bear in mind that with big cars comes big maintenance bills, so it’ll be a foolish move if only a couple of people will travel in the car at most, and you opt for 7 Seven Seat Vehicle. In this case, hatchback or a sedan makes wise selection.
At least from the requirements which you told to us in past, It does not actually seems worth opting for an SUV. For the price of basic SUV, your parents can rather consider getting a feature laden sedan.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Ilango. I was thinking of the Scorpio LX, which is the Base mHawk.
By how much are the m2di and Base cheaper than the LX?

For your requirements you don need an SUV buddy. An SUV gives lesser FE , not very much feature laden , not a great performer on road. An SUV is needed only if you travel in more than 5 numbers often and to tackle bad roads daily.

IMO for a family of three an i20 should just do the job easily.

I would suggest you go in got another hatch. i20/Micra/Polo/Figo is the way to go. If you monthly run is close to 1000kms, then go in got Figo Diesel. Good performance and it is surely a VFM Diesel hatch.

As others have already suggested, a big no for an SUV, atleast for your requirements which you mentioned us before. For yoour family even an i20 will do the job since you already have a sedan(Indigo) at home. But if you want another sedan then you may go for a Fiesta.

IMO if want to go for Xylo/Scorpio, go for Scorpio. A big NO for Xylo since i dont find it much comfortable for long rides. Though it has the most comfortable last row.

Is it worth to spend almost 1.5 lakh extra (excluding 8%*5 interest[frustration]) and go in for an SUV - Scorpio, if not, a Xylo E4, instead of a sedan like a Fiesta/i20?
Our usage is pretty minimal, and will be limited weekend city drives and quarterly highway trips. Ours is a family of 3, mom, dad and me. Grandparents visit often. Also, apart from this car, we have 2 other cars with us.
I'm in a dilemna and dad still seems busy enjoyind the i10 and right now says he doesn't need a huge car, but he wouldn't mind one for me.

So what do you guys say?

Please tell me about the "Scorpio MD21" (If I've got it right). Which engine does it come with and how much will it cost ex-Bangalore?
Arkin Scorpio M2di is basically bolero engine, which is basically used by cabbie's.
Just for weekend drives it's better to go for xylo, if you have to accommodate more people.
Else any sedan would suit you better.
-----------Next Post-----------
Xylo comes with m eagle engine .
All together different engine , but it's power out put is 113 bhp as with 2.6 Crde Scorpio's earlier.

Last edited:
me too would suggest you against buying an SUV. its not that easy to drive an SUV in bangalore. and since you don't require one, why do you un-necessarily want to spend on the SUV?first of all a higher price for the SUV itself and later on the fuel expenses and the maintainance costs become un-necessarily higher when a hatch or a sedan could do the job well. as told by other members, a hatch or may be a sedan would be suitable for your needs. and i tell you again. driving an SUV in bangalore is no easy job dude. i always have a spare innova at bangalore when i visit. but i would rather prefer the BMTC than driving amidst fools who are seen on three wheeled carts (so called autorickshaw's) and yellow board tata's.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Sigh yes, you guys are right.
What had initially led me to want an SUV are -
* High Ground Clearance
* Macho looks
* A better view of the road
* Loads of extra space during those "emergencies"
* We might be getting a little puppy dog soon.

Let me go on with my thinking. I guess I might as well increase the budget by 70-80k and go in for an SX4 [lol]

Hi Arkin,

As others say, i would suggest you not to go for SUV. Looking at your usage, better get a sedan.

SX4 is a great option indeed. A best sedan in india with a highest ground clearance.
Also consider Manza and Optra(quiet aged but spacious). [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #12
^Yes Marun. I don't see any other option in sight.
The Manza is my "dream" car, and was considered long before. But I'm not sure if it will be seriously considered thanks to the resale value. The optra is out of our budget, plus, resale is really poor.

So what do you guys say?
Though your usage does not require a SUV, you can still buy one because eventually a diesel SUV can turn up to be as expensive or as cheap to maintain as a petrol sedan (unless you are considering the logan or indica!).

even in my case, its 90% only me in the scorpio & i hardly go for highway drives. but then i like SUVs, so i bought one. its comfortable for my huge structure, its has got a high seating, nice tall view of the road & a commanding driving position.

Xylo is for your family whereas scorpio is for you.

Scorpio M2Di - it comes with the bolero's CRDe engine. its very sluggish compared to the mHawk but delivers good FE.

ilango[speed thirst];47741 said:
xylo base comes with 2.6 cc prev gen scorpio engine
Xylo has a 2.5 ltr mEagle engine which is not the same as scorpio's CRDe engine.

Thread Starter #14
Thanks Raj. The reasons for an SUV you've stated are spot on why I want one. Besides, the car might be passed on to me later, if I don't want a cheaper new car then.
I guess can think about Scorpio LX vs. SX4 VXi., or just revert back to my original dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom