Is Head Unit Absolutely Essential For ICE Install?

Thread Starter #1
Background:
I am taking delivery of my White Alto Lxi (o) in 15 days.
I have not ordered any accessories , i said a firm no to those compulsory free accessories. so i will be getting a bare bones stock car.

Requirement:
I want to something decent with ICE. (have a dream of making a sleeper ICE in my alto just to shock the hell out of people who are still trying to dissuade me from my choice of car.;)
)
Also, Being a car guy, i feel automobile industry in general and In car audio in particular has not evolved with the times. Head units in particular are most deserving of this accolade of being the dinosaurest of dinosaurs.

My Idea:
1) Buy decent 6.5" components (not too costly, after all its an alto 800, there is only so much you can get in terms of a quiet cabin required to really discern the difference between a reaaally good speakers and a good speakers.)
2) Pair them to decent 4 Channel amplifier (again budget ones to suit the components and 4 channel because i want to be able to add a pair more speakers later.
3) Now the controversial point
I Want to dispense with the Head unit altogether! I am mulling getting a bluetooth receiver and hooking it up to the amp. also i have a spare nokia 5230 lying around that might just fit in the single DIN. So also mulling over fixing the nokia in the HU place and pair it with the BT receiver.

HERE ARE MY REASONS:
1) Most parts of head unit like amplifier are redundant as I have a dedicated amp
2) Thieves wont bother to steal the HU as there is none (esp since the Alto 800 which i assume is childs play for a thief worth his salt)
3) And as said before: just to shock ppl and to flip a bird at the HU companies which have been peddling the same **** for decades just adding a Aux here and BT there etc.
4) I believe with this setup i can build an awesome ICE setup at 8k and leave room for improvements later.

This thread is open for any kind of discussions on the topic. If anyone can suggest brands, costs, things i need to consider etc i will be very grateful. I am not very electronically inclined but i do get the basics. (I have installed my creative 4.1 in my M800 about 10 yrs back with decent results but was handicaped by the non availability of a good headphone amp and funds) This time i intend to get the installation done professionally. I may buy the speakers and amp and receiver online though if ts considerably cheaper.

Help me gurus :)

Creative Idea with an ICE w/o HeadUnit
But i would suggest you go for single DIN Pioneer/Sony HU(which i suppose you can get cheap as nowadays they are not used in any cars) and then pair your Components and AMP to get more sharper and clearer music.
You can go to any aftermarket store and ask them for available single DIN HU and bargain with them.
All the best

Thread Starter #3
Creative Idea with an ICE w/o HeadUnit
But i would suggest you go for single DIN Pioneer/Sony HU(which i suppose you can get cheap as nowadays they are not used in any cars) and then pair your Components and AMP to get more sharper and clearer music.
You can go to any aftermarket store and ask them for available single DIN HU and bargain with them.
All the best
I am keeping the simple HU option as the last resort, in case my idea does not pan out well..

I was looking for a bluetooth headunit which are still expensive. I will be playing most of the music, podcasts etc from the phone in reality over bluetooth but do not want the hassle of hooking up the phone to aux cable each time. I do this currently in my celerio which has a normal pioneer head unit.

Another idea I just came across the internet is to hook it up to a chrome cast device and stream music over Wifi. Dunno if its entirely possible.

Beware the BT pairing / signal goes haywire at times. In that case your entire system wont work. Which BT receiver are you mulling.
Now a day very cheap good 1 DIN HU with BT are available in Flipkart/Amazon/Aliexpress check those , they may cost less than 2K.

Thread Starter #5
Now looking at the possibility of Wifi audio streaming via google chromecast audio device. Its quite costly but since it is WiFi it will give the full dynamic range.

This would mean better audio quality all round but i do not know if it can cast from any app or if there are specific app requirements for streaming to device.either way i think it would be a good investment (ill prolly find another use for it if it doesn't work as expected.)

So ordering one

Another option is having bluetooth head unit which supports AAC codec. If you are using any of Google Play Music or Apple Music or Amazon Prime (all 3 services are in AAC format) then the quality loss will be minimal. Theoretically when the audio bit touches bluetooth encoder and if it is AAC then the audio is directly transferred to receiver which means no loss in bluetooth. But there is no confirmation from any developers yet

Top Bottom