Is Fiat Punto Sluggish?

Thread Starter #31
Re: Is Punto Sluggish ?

Could you please tell me the date of issue(I mean the month) of the Autocar magazine from which these figures are taken.Reason I am asking is the i10 1.2(Kappa2) takes 12.xx seconds to reach 100KM/h from standstill .
Hi
Actually i got these figures from the Auto car forum and they compile it from the past Auto car issues till Feb 2011.
I didn't have any methods to check whether this figures are correct rather believe what auto car claims was accurate(negligible errors as i think these testing were all done on different conditions like may be different drivers, different environmental conditions) . If there is some errors am so sorry as i had said already this is not to prove that other cars are bad but rather to show how performance measures solely based on 0 - 100 km/hr distorts the entire picture. i think almost all cars have comparable performance measures
@basis
Actually your doubts made me to post this and so am interested about your test drive report

If there is some errors am so sorry as i had said already this is not to prove that other cars are bad but rather to show how performance measures solely based on 0 - 100 km/hr distorts the entire picture. i think almost all cars have comparable performance measures
That is nothing but a kind of media propaganda.
and we Indians are seriously badly bitten by it.
We seem to close our eyes anything beyond 100kmph.

Typical conversation about another car(not punto) which I happened to overhear in airport lounge between 2 guys.

"*Gaadi to mast hai , bhaagathi hai kya ..
arey kya bolta hai 0-100 in 12.1 second
*majboot hogi na.
Arey solid ...dekh na kya dikti hai ekdam solid..!
*brake acha hoga na .
tujhe sabse aage badhane hai ki yaha vaha rukna hai.
*tu bolta hai to sahi hi hoga maine kal TV par bhi dekha tha.
*Theek hai chal booking karne chalte hain Kal.

I have driven a Punto petrol for about 200 kms and being true the car disappointed me.From the very same day I am saying "This car has got ride,handling,body control and all ingredients,only thing missing is a T-Jet engine"..am I right guys?

About diesel Punto I have an experience of driving a Emotion MJD 75 hp from Meerut to Jwala Ji.In that trip we covered everything from cities to highways to narrow but winding hilly roads and after driving the Punto on highway and hills I was like What a car yaar!![clap]
Being true on the hilly roads or highways my Corolla can be called sluggish but not Punto.Just go to the hills,shift down to second and start your mile munching,shift up on 55 kph to third pull upto 75-80 kph and enjoy the dynamics.Make less use of brakes just touch the brake pedal,leave the accelerator and take that turn at 40 kph which you never took at 20 kph in your Innova.And climbing was even more fun.Why go to 4th gear on hills when all the fun lies in second and third.
While on highways this car cruises effortlessly at 130 kph and all your passengers are happy inside.
Driven Punto 90 hp once for about 60 kms on highway but was unable to distinguish between this car and 75 hp one,only there was very less difference that also in higher revs,there the 90 hp pulls even better.Since I expected to have a blast of performance so the 90 hp somewhere disappointed me.
Yo yo, I fully am with you brother. Punto might be sluggish in the city. But on the hills and highways the Punto says " My way or the Highway''. I drove my MJD Emo pack to Chail. And wow what a ride it was. I defeated all cars on the highway except a Black Skoda Laura. And omigosh, it was driven by a lady [lol]. My my she ought to be a pretty cool driver cos she new her gear shifts damn well !

I thought 75 hp has fixed geometry turbo like Swift which gives you the desired punch at around 2000 rpm,while 90 hp has variable geomatry turbo that has got linear power delivery.

BTW,read on another forum that 2012 Punto hasn't got rear anti roll bars and is 50 kg lighter than older Punto,is it true?
The Xover I think you are right on Punto 2012. I am not sure about the anti roll bars, but yes the car feels much lighter than the old Punto. Also the pick up is more and engine feels more refined. But I felt the stability of the old Punto is more than the new one. Also the ride in 2012 Punto feels smoother than the old one, maybe because of GC.

Thread Starter #35
I have driven a Punto petrol for about 200 kms and being true the car disappointed me.From the very same day I am saying "This car has got ride,handling,body control and all ingredients,only thing missing is a T-Jet engine"..am I right guys?
Is it a 1.2 or I.4. I think you are bitten by the Turbo's. [;)]

Typical conversation about another car(not punto) which I happened to overhear in airport lounge between 2 guys.

*majboot hogi na.
*brake acha hoga na .
He is right "Car is really solid"Why?Because cars can't be liquid.Solid form them means anything from a paper to Titanuim.
0-100 in 12.xx seconds,but for that you have to pull the hell out of engine per gear which is not done even once in 100 times.And what to do of the confidence factor.Verna Fluidic CRDi car do even 150 kph before a City but then why the owners don't do it?Simple,because where is confidence?
Punto is confident at even 150 kph,so Punto simply wins here.
Brake is fantastic,why?Because it stops the car irrespective of the distance it takes.
Ask this guy to sit in a Punto Emotion(O) with me and I am sure he will get at least two teeth broken when I'll show him brakes without making him tie seat belts.
Still,one more i-10 kappa2 sold against a Punto...[frustration]

Yo yo, I fully am with you brother. Punto might be sluggish in the city. But on the hills and highways the Punto says " My way or the Highway''. I drove my MJD Emo pack to Chail. And wow what a ride it was. I defeated all cars on the highway except a Black Skoda Laura. And omigosh, it was driven by a lady [lol]. My my she ought to be a pretty cool driver cos she new her gear shifts damn well !
If Punto is sluggish in city then Honda City,Honda Civic,My Corolla etc etc are super sluggish.Buddy every car is sluggish in city,there is no car in the world which can give 100 bhp at 1000 rpm.In city you need to play with the gearbox perfectly and no car is sluggish.But yes,Punto petrol is really underpowered and hence feel slow,but not sluggish.

About black Laura,I am sure you was busy looking at the girl driving the car and hence haven't overtook it else I am yet to see a girl doing above 140 kph(that also done by my own GF in my Laura after I forced her to do so).

Is it a 1.2 or I.4. I think you are bitten by the Turbo's.
Definitely,right now in my city only 3 T-Jets are sold till date(as per the dealer)and one of them is owned by friend's elder brother and hence this car is amongst my weekly drives.

Absolutely just to base that one car is sluggish/fast because it has higher or lower 0-100 timings is unfair.In gear acceleration,strong mid range etc are much more important than having great 0-100 timings.

*majboot hogi na.
*brake acha hoga na .
Yes this is the average Indian mindset[frustration].

Off Topic: For a guy from kerela you have awesome knowledge of Hindi.[thumbsup]

Off Topic: For a guy from kerela you have awesome knowledge of Hindi.
:offtopic:I am born at Devlali Maharasthra,(so my Dad gave me Name jayaDEV) brought up in Fathehgarh and Meerut ,studied in Shimla ,college in Kerala and Chennai.
I am good in Hindi,Malayalam,Tamil, English( I think so) and not too Bad in french (from the place I work abroad).

I thought 75 hp has fixed geometry turbo like Swift which gives you the desired punch at around 2000 rpm,while 90 hp has variable geomatry turbo that has got linear power delivery.

BTW,read on another forum that 2012 Punto hasn't got rear anti roll bars and is 50 kg lighter than older Punto,is it true?
Oops, sorry. I meant fixed geometry turbine in 75hp.

Its true, but the rear anti roll bar has been removed in 2011 cars itself. Even my car does not have it & is lighter than 2010 cars.

@basis,Some guys like me was desperately waiting for Test drive experience of yours.
+1

Hello nandu,

Tomorrow I will TD Punto 1.2 for the second time.

First short TD already done. I am LOVING IT! It is VFM also. I feel the best petrol Hatch with 6 L in India.
@basis: That would be sooo sweet[clap], Am eagerly awaiting your review. IMHO, I totally agree with the VFM thing.

"A blend of head turning looks, strong build quality and most importantly a car that communicates well."

Nandu if you are buying Punto go for the diesel. Punto gives the worse mileage and driving a petrol punto around is not going to be light on your wallet. Also you will enjoy a Punto with a Turbo, as this car is meant for the highway. I would say if you are planning a petrol..and also want a premium hatch..Honda Jazz is your car !
@mads: Thanks for the suggestion but I have always been partial towards petrol cars and haven't considered a diesel. I do like the Jazz for what it offers but there is something about the
F: Famous
I: Italian
A: Addictive
T: Toy
The GP just makes me go down on my knees every time I spot one[:)]
Add to that, My VFM is defined more like "Value for Mann" than the english namesake of Dhan.

I have been waiting to hear from guys here who may have done a TD of the 2012 Punto specially Diesel. I want to know if there is any loss in stability of the vehicle due to the increased GC? I am a bit worried because about it, so any pointers would be helpful I am in the mindset of buying a Punto this year or next

I have been waiting to hear from guys here who may have done a TD of the 2012 Punto specially Diesel. I want to know if there is any loss in stability of the vehicle due to the increased GC? I am a bit worried because about it, so any pointers would be helpful I am in the mindset of buying a Punto this year or next
I have done TD of 2012 punto a small one though the showroom guys were surprised to see what I am upto as already own one.

well ,everything else is same. except the ride quality which feel smoother and supple .

I could not throw it on sharp corner but I believe that there is not much of compromise on handling to raise a concern.

Anyway it is always better to slow down on sharp corners to prevent damage to side walls of tire.

I repeat ride quality was felt better than my 2010 punto 90hp means new 2012 smothered and carpeted the road even better.

and the huge ground clearance did show its usefulness, I could ride over the slope of showroom without much bothering where in my punto it always scraps underneath.

my punto felt smoother and swifter , probably due to age 19k km at that time where as new one was just on couple of hundreds.

I have done TD of 2012 punto a small one though the showroom guys were surprised to see what I am upto as already own one.

well ,everything else is same. except the ride quality which feel smoother and supple .

I could not throw it on sharp corner but I believe that there is not much of compromise on handling to raise a concern.

Anyway it is always better to slow down on sharp corners to prevent damage to side walls of tire.

I repeat ride quality was felt better than my 2010 punto 90hp means new 2012 smothered and carpeted the road even better.

and the huge ground clearance did show its usefulness, I could ride over the slope of showroom without much bothering where in my punto it always scraps underneath.

my punto felt smoother and swifter , probably due to age 19k km at that time where as new one was just on couple of hundreds.
Nice to hear the ride quality is even better than before.[:D]

Did you test drive the 2012 punto90hp?I was under the impression that 2012 90hp test drive vehicles are not there as it will be launched in this april.

Did you test drive the 2012 punto90hp?I was under the impression that 2012 90hp test drive vehicles are not there as it will be launched in this april.
I dint find 2012 Punto 90hp anywhere. I believe they are not launched yet.
But I heard newer P90hp have upgraded ground clearnce

Thanks Jayadev for the input, that takes a lot of pressure of my shoulders. Well I can start planning my finances & once I know I got the bucks needed in my kitty, well I will be on way to the showroom.......

Top Bottom