The International Recalls Thread

Thread Starter #1

A string of safety problems has put Toyota Motor's hard-won reputation at risk as critics question whether the company sacrificed its legendary quality to become world number one.

Toyota's unprecedented decision to suspend sales of eight models in the United States due to possible defects will undoubtedly hit its earnings, but the impact on its brand image could be even more serious.

Source and Details

This report is a shocker man. I never imagined to encounter such a news of Toyota, atleast on the grounds of Quality, which it is known for.

Yea am in the US right now.. and this news is headlines here on CNN, MSNBC and whole lot of other TV channels.

They are not selling most of their popular cars here right now..

Cheers,
Vroom

Yea am in the US right now.. and this news is headlines here on CNN, MSNBC and whole lot of other TV channels.

They are not selling most of their popular cars here right now..

Cheers,
Vroom
Which all cars have been stopped? Also havent they called back the previously sold cars for some inspection orsomething?

I think they also had a huge recall after some floor mats got jammed with the pedals, I think there was a fatal accident too.
The Toyota president publicly apologized for the same.
I think the woes continue.

Thread Starter #10
Other automakers pounce on Toyota owners as company staggers

For years, General Motors has been on the defensive, steadily losing sales to Toyota. Now it finally sees a chance to turn the tables. GM began offering discounts and no-interest financing specifically to Toyota owners.

The car-rental company Avis, which also operates Budget, said it was removing 20,000 Toyotas from its fleet. Enterprise, National and Alamo also said they would temporarily stop renting Toyotas.

Source: economictimes.indiatimes.com

Toyota: 3.8 million cars with risky floor mats

This was the floor mat issue I was talking about.

NHTSA and world's largest automaker warn vehicle owners to remove driver's side floor mats in 7 Lexus and Toyota models.

Toyota issued a safety warning for 3.8 million Lexus and Toyota cars because of potentially deadly floor mats.

In statements released Tuesday, the world's largest automaker and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned drivers to remove the mats or risk a forced-down accelerator pedal that could lead to a fatal crash.

The seven models being recalled could potentially have removable mats that would interfere with the pedal and cause it to stick.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," said Toyota in its statement.

Though Toyota recalled accessory all-weather floor mats in 2007 for similar problems, NHTSA noted that reports of vehicles accelerating rapidly even after the release of the pedal have continued.

In a statement posted on the automaker's Web site earlier this month, Toyota said that preliminary information from investigators indicated that a fatal crash involving a family driving a 2009 ES350 loaned by a local Lexus dealer in San Diego could have been caused by an all-weather floor mat interfering with the accelerated pedal because of a faulty mat installation.

"There is an urgent matter," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in the NHTSA statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

Toyota has announced that it will soon launch a safety recall to redress the problem, but NHTSA and the automaker warn Toyota and Lexus drivers of certain models to remove that floor mats sooner for safety.

The Toyota models being impacted are: 2007-2010 Camry, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2004-2009 Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma and 2007-2010 Tundra. The Lexus models facing the safety recall are the 2007-2010 ES 350, and the 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS 350. To top of page

i also saw this news on international news channel and sites. this could surely give a negative impact on Toyota's image. I think cars like yaris and other SUV were recalled earlier.

Thread Starter #13
More bad news fr Toyota.

Economictimes
Toyota extends massive safety recall to Europe, China.
Toyota also has submitted an application to recall 75,552 RAV4 vehicles in China from February 28 because of faulty accelerators, China's quality control office said on Thursday.

This news is a shocker. I was just thinking Toyota was safe and reliable just like many other manufacturers! In fact i even told my dad our next car must be a Toyota Fortuner and a strict no to TATA! I even argued with him saying Toyota is better than TATA is reliability and service. Finally he agreed but if he comes to know of this news then surely i have to eat back my words.[cry]

Top Bottom