Inspecting a Used Car – An Exhaustive Guide

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Inspecting a Second Hand Car – An Exhaustive Guide

Dear KKN,

Thank you so much for your valid reply, just i would like to clear few more doubts, kindly help, for Highway CRV will give 12 to 15 mileage? I thought only 8 or 9 maximum 10 kmpl. And what about GC because i am suppose to travel very bad roads. Finally what about normal service cost? Presently for my sonata gold normal service charges coming 8 to 10 thousands, i hope for CRV also charges will be same or not much different. What about reliability? What are the common parts to failure in CRV? As you mentioned suspension & engine mounts, normally how much it will cost?

If we are comparing CRV vs X trail what is the better option in terms of reliability, repair and maintenance cost?

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.
In terms of GC, I havent used my CRV off road as such but its usually been alright , best to check and determine yourself since this depends on the road, Ive taken it to Karnataka, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa,Kerala etc with no issues.

For suspension, I sold it just as the suspension started acting up, albeit very mildly.

Tyres were a bit pricier given the size etc.

Engine mounts cost- 10k a piece from ASC and 6k from independent workshop. I got one changed at ASC and one from independent workshop. If you hear too much vibration in the cabin at idle rpms , it means engine mounts need replacing.

Reliability is very good,the worst case issues Ive faced in 10 years of ownership were when fuel pump died around this time last year, cost 7k to replace and once I had my driver drive over a proper huge rock in the middle of a road which was under construction, a fortuner in front of us went with no issues but in the dark, instead of avoiding the rock, my driver went right on it and our differential chamber broke. But this wasnt due to GC at all, the rock was rather large. Differential chamber etc costly but insurance took care of it and we paid some 30k for it. Part came shipped from Japan etc and took 3 weeks. Being a major part and all and for a 8 year old car at the time, I think Honda deserves a pat on the back for providing such good service.

FE is very varied, Ive had it go as low as 5kmpl in extreme traffic conditions and AC etc on full blast in Mumbai traffic but Ive also seen it average around 13-15kmpl on the highway. I owned a manual 2.4 AWD variant with 6 speed gearbox if it helps.

I dont remember the exact servicing costs but I think it was always around 15k worst case though from 2014- 2016, my costs increased a little bit since I got tyres, differential chamber, engine mounts and fuel pump changed.

But this car has never left me stranded and has always been a very comfortable car. Parts last very very long and I actually regret selling it.
Ours was 10 years old so we sold it , plus we got a bit bored and decided to give the Germans a go but after so many test drives etc, we find it is a hard car to replace and are still looking for a proper replacement car.

You can opt for any of the later 2012 models or even the current 2013-2017 model, 2012 models come as low as 7-8L, current model comes for more , around 17L. But there is very little reason to spend 9L extra on the current one imho, 2012 model has the exact same engine in different tune and shares a bunch of parts too.

Whats your budget btw? Maybe I can guide you for other cars too if you want

Dear KKN,

Thank you very much for all the details, why i am worried about GC because presently am in mumbai and i will use this car for my Kerala trips, i hope GC will be not an issue, because i have done the route with my Sonata and i mange all the speed breakers and bad roads, and am not going to do any kind of off road activity.
Actually i was interested on Endeavour but kid demanding vehicle with sunroof so i realized my options are limited CRV, X Trail or XUV 500

Budget 10L, but i like the shape of new CRV more than older version,
Till now i would like to ask you that CRV or X trail or in terms of reliability and cost?

X trail is in the mind because it is diesel and big sun roof and bit worried about future of Diesel vehicles( if government ban 10year old diesels)

Waiting for your valuable advice.

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.

kkn13

Suspended

Dear KKN,

Thank you very much for all the details, why i am worried about GC because presently am in mumbai and i will use this car for my Kerala trips, i hope GC will be not an issue, because i have done the route with my Sonata and i mange all the speed breakers and bad roads, and am not going to do any kind of off road activity.
Actually i was interested on Endeavour but kid demanding vehicle with sunroof so i realized my options are limited CRV, X Trail or XUV 500

Budget 10L, but i like the shape of new CRV more than older version,
Till now i would like to ask you that CRV or X trail or in terms of reliability and cost?

X trail is in the mind because it is diesel and big sun roof and bit worried about future of Diesel vehicles( if government ban 10year old diesels)

Waiting for your valuable advice.

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.
Then a 2012 CR-V makes total sense for your usage
If you want diesel, XUV500 is good but no match for CR-V in terms of comfort, body roll etc. My cousin has an XUV500 and it has its niggles but they are fixed in the 2nd gen XUV500 apparently so if you are going in for one, go in for the 2nd gen ones
2nd gen have distinctive headlights in case you want to verify-
https://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/2015-Mahindra-XUV500-Review.jpg

2012 CR-V grille is different and it has USB support in headunit to differentiate-
https://img01.olx.in/images_olxin/311451711_1_1000x700_honda-cr-v-24-mt-2012-petrol-delhi_rev010.jpg

Dear KKN

Thanks for all the help and sorry to disturb you again

I like to go with Manuel transmission, Sunroof is available with Manuel models? If it is not available then i need to think about automatic transmission.
Anything i need to keep in mind any special version or model?

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.

kkn13

Suspended

Dear KKN

Thanks for all the help and sorry to disturb you again

I like to go with Manuel transmission, Sunroof is available with Manuel models? If it is not available then i need to think about automatic transmission.
Anything i need to keep in mind any special version or model?

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.
I think manual variants and auto both had sunroof as option
Go in for 2011-2012 models since they get a few extra handy features like USB etc
AT is very good in CR-V too

Get the car checked out at Honda ASC before buying , they do a proper check and give full analysis

If you are in Mumbai, Solitaire Honda at Borivali is best in my experience

Dear KKN,

Thanks for all the help, now i will start my search.

Today morning got an information about one X trail from family friend need to check that also.

Am in NaviMumbai, borivali will be difficult for me.

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.

How to check used car engine?

Hello guys,
I want to buy a used diesel car. Engine is heart of any vehicle, so I want to check it's engine. What is the best way to check a diesel engine?
Thank You

Mods: If similar thread exists, please merge this with it.

Re: How to check used car engine?

Hello guys,
I want to buy a used diesel car. Engine is heart of any vehicle, so I want to check it's engine. What is the best way to check a diesel engine?
1)if there are oil stains around turbo., stay away

2) idle the engine for 2 mins, open the oil inlet, if you see white fumes, stay away.

3) check engine temperature gauze after 5 minutes of running with the AC off, if it crosses 60% mark, stay away.

Hi,

I have spent my last year trying to figure out what car I want to buy. Some time back, I also started wondering if I should buy a used car first.

I have done a lot of research on buying new cars. However, I could not find high quality answers for buying used cars. Here are some of my questions:

1. What is the safest method of buying used cars? Should I buy it from individuals, dealers or look online?
2. How do I know that the car has never been in an accident and won't start causing problems after two three months?
3. How can I make sure that I am not overpaying for a used car?

When I check online car valuation tools like: Used Car Valuation India: Free Online Calculator for Car Resale Value. The price for Tata Tiago 2016-2019 1.2 Revotron XZA comes up to be 3.26 lakh if it is in a spuerb condition.

Now, when I check used car websites like: Used Cars in New Delhi - Second Hand Cars in New Delhi for Sale and Used Cars in India, Second Hand Cars for Sale in India - CarWale. The price is alaways a lot higher than the one suggested by used car valuation tools. How do I know which one is correct?

Mahindra First Choice suggests even higher price for used cars. Almost as much as new ones: Used Tata Cars - Second Hand Cars in Delhi - Mahindra First Choice Wheels

This is my first car and I have never driven any cars before. I know a lot of theoretical stuff but have no practical knowledge. I will be taking a relative with me when we go to buy cars.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have done a lot of research on buying new cars. However, I could not find high quality answers for buying used cars. Here are some of my questions:

1. What is the safest method of buying used cars? Should I buy it from individuals, dealers or look online?
Best would be to buy from an individual. 1-to-1 communication and negotiation will be better than involving a middle man. Of-course it will require your time and effort.

2. How do I know that the car has never been in an accident and won't start causing problems after two three months?
Ask for the car's history from the concerned ASC. If the accident repairs are carried out outside ASC will be better to take a experienced mechanic with you to check the car. You may remove the rubber beading/insulation on the door frames to check for any re-welding marks. You can refer to our used car inspection list too.

3. How can I make sure that I am not overpaying for a used car?
If you go by the middle man route, even in best of negotiations you'll end paying a minimum 30-40K extra so try to negotiate directly with the seller/individual face to face.

When I check online car valuation tools like: Used Car Valuation India: Free Online Calculator for Car Resale Value. The price for Tata Tiago 2016-2019 1.2 Revotron XZA comes up to be 3.26 lakh if it is in a spuerb condition.
You can consult online used car selling portals for information and getting a rough idea. However, best will be to see the car in person and then negotiate. There is always a margin of 3-5% between online price Vs individual's quote.

Now, when I check used car websites like: Used Cars in New Delhi - Second Hand Cars in New Delhi for Sale and Used Cars in India, Second Hand Cars for Sale in India - CarWale. The price is alaways a lot higher than the one suggested by used car valuation tools. How do I know which one is correct?
Profit margins are often included in the price. So, the prices appear higher than actual worth of the car. These used car dealers buy the used cars at lesser prices from the 1st owner and then sell it for a better price to 2nd owner thereby earning a reasonable profit. The Carwale provides franchise to local car dealers who in turn employ runners to bring them leads about used cars. The franchise owner then negotiates the price with the owner and informs to Carwale who transfer the agreed amount to the franchise owner for buying the car. In between, the franchise owner pays the runner his commission. Both Carwale and the Franchise owner fix a certain value which they want to earn from a particular used car as profit.

Mahindra First Choice suggests even higher price for used cars. Almost as much as new ones: Used Tata Cars - Second Hand Cars in Delhi - Mahindra First Choice Wheels
As said above, these portals add their cost as well. These franchise and portals try to earn profit from both parties. It is upto your negotiation skills how well you strike the deal.

This is my first car and I have never driven any cars before. I know a lot of theoretical stuff but have no practical knowledge. I will be taking a relative with me when we go to buy cars.
It would be wise to take an experienced mechanic as well. Take a proper test drive and I repeat, buy a car from individual rather than a online portal.

Regards

Akash

Ask for the car's history from the concerned ASC. If the accident repairs are carried out outside ASC will be better to take a experienced mechanic with you to check the car. You may remove the rubber beading/insulation on the door frames to check for any re-welding marks. You can refer to our used car inspection list too.
Thanks for the reply @Akash1886 :)

I did not check back the thread for so long because I did not think that someone would actually reply. Thanks for the tip about removing the rubber insulation and checking. Will any experienced mechanic easily agree to go with us? I have no issue with paying a fee to them for the inspection. I will just have no way to know if the mechanic is actually very knowledgeable.

I am very paranoid about buying cars from individuals because they might lie about different problems in the car and verification would be a hassle. People won't be willing to go with me to multiple places to buy a car. That's why I wanted to complete everything in one trip.

I recently found about Spinny (Spinny: Buy Used Cars with Guaranteed Love) and there reviews seem very good everywhere on the Internet. Some of the cars that I liked were also in good price range. We might give it a try first. :)

I have a few more questions:

1. Will a good mechanic always be able to tell if the car has been in an accident?
2. Will checking the service history make sure that the seller has not tempered with the odometer?
3. One car that I liked on Spinny had its Front Bumper and Rear left door Repainted. Does this mean that the car was definitely in an accident? They don't mention any other bad things about the car.

Spinny also gives 5 days money back guarantee and 1 year comprehensive warranty. So, I was thinking that they would offer this warranty only if they know for sure that the vehicles they are selling are good. Could you please let me know your thoughts about this?

Thanks again @Akash1886 :)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks for the reply @Akash1886 :)
Pleasure!

Thanks for the tip about removing the rubber insulation and checking. Will any experienced mechanic easily agree to go with us? I have no issue with paying a fee to them for the inspection. I will just have no way to know if the mechanic is actually very knowledgeable.
I don't think any mechanic would mind that. Ask for reference of good mechanics from your relatives and friends and neighbors.

I am very paranoid about buying cars from individuals because they might lie about different problems in the car and verification would be a hassle. People won't be willing to go with me to multiple places to buy a car. That's why I wanted to complete everything in one trip.
While checking out the car, take a test drive and see how it drives, try and observe things like gear knob, and pedals. It is one of the easiest way to make out if the car has been extensively used. Check the Tyres and to double check you can check the car's history through the concerned ASC. If you are a novice, then perhaps you need a person who is willing to support you through the car buying process. One has to be patient enough since buying a pre-owned or new car involves one's hard earned money. Honestly, buying a car whether new or pre-owned doesn't happen in one go. One has to be alert and even more so when buying a pre-owned car. If you are in East or South Delhi or in Noida it would be my utter pleasure to assist/guide you. Do let me know if I can be of help to you bro. I had the honor of helping couple of my buddies here when they bought their cars.

I recently found about Spinny (Spinny: Buy Used Cars with Guaranteed Love) and there reviews seem very good everywhere on the Internet. Some of the cars that I liked were also in good price range. We might give it a try first. :)
No issues. However, I am an old-school chap so I believe in seeing the car first in person and then decide the next step. I take the reviews on car selling portals just with pinch of sugar.

I have a few more questions:

1. Will a good mechanic always be able to tell if the car has been in an accident?
Most of them are aware as they see the cars day in day out.

2. Will checking the service history make sure that the seller has not tempered with the odometer?
In most cases the service records give the best picture. The service center guys can easily make out if the odo is tempered by seeing the condition of things like Tyres, Pedals, gear knobs etc.

3. One car that I liked on Spinny had its Front Bumper and Rear left door Repainted. Does this mean that the car was definitely in an accident? They don't mention any other bad things about the car.
Repaint of a panel doesn't necessarily mean that car has been in an accident before. Could be possible that a scratch/ multiple scratches or minor bump would have caused damage and the owner would have opted for repaint.

Spinny also gives 5 days money back guarantee and 1 year comprehensive warranty. So, I was thinking that they would offer this warranty only if they know for sure that the vehicles they are selling are good. Could you please let me know your thoughts about this?
If you intend to consider online portals for your car purchase I suggest do check with used cars wings of Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota as well.

Maruti has True Value, Hyundai has H-Promise, Honda has Honda Assure and Toyota has Toyota U-trust as their used car wings. Apart from this, while dealing with them, one has to be tough enough to negotiate the best deal and just don't simply agree what all these guys say.

Thanks again @Akash1886 :)
My pleasure bro!

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom