Inspecting a Used Car – An Exhaustive Guide

Re: Inspecting a Second Hand Car – An Exhaustive Guide.

Awesome details. ill surely keep this with me for getting an esteem for my dad. He is crazy about that machine :)

Superb guide, a must read thread for anyone purchasing used cars. Especially the "ODO reading & checking the condition of pedals, indicator stalk & gear lever"

Relevant & easy to understand pictures
Thanks a ton!

Since I am also looking for a Pre Owned Car, this Article has inturn proved to me a BOON. Thanks a lot for this. Hope i can get a good deal. :)

Since I am also looking for a Pre Owned Car, this Article has inturn proved to me a BOON. Thanks a lot for this. Hope i can get a good deal. :)
Good to know that the write-up helped. BTW which car are you after? Do start a new thread if have any queries related to it.

dissimilar tires on used alto

I am on the lookout for a used alto and i found a good 2008 model 41000 kms but was shocked to find that the owner is running on dissimilar tires. two of the tires came with the car (judging by the date of manufacture and wear ) and two others are dissimilar. One of them seems skinny and i believe it may even belong to an 800. the owner could not give a satisfactory reply when i inquired. Is it common to drive around with dissimilar tires? do you think i should stay away from this car?

Well some old tricks were to try closing the silencer with a hand or you foot for 20 seconds when the engine is on idle, they do this to check if the engine still has its pull or power.. and this to some instances were true, tried this for a second hand bollero and it couldnt survive 10 seconds. offlate came to know it was a lemon but what if some other factors made the engine to go off. do anyone support this view.?

well this is 100% true on a bullet for sure. the engine can be checked for its power/pull capability with this trick. might be a hoax but if someone could clarify more on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent writeup and valuable info. Hats Off 350Z.. [clap]

Do we need to check insurance history of the car? Just to ensure that car didnt had any major accident ?

Yes, ofcourse, last year history can be checked, just by calling call centre of insurance company, asking for next year's premium and' no claim bonus' is available or not.and then checking the facts with history given by seller.
About the past history of insurance claim s , can be checked with ASS of the car.

Two more things, I wi ll like to add , are
1) look for oil spills near and around turbo charger , it indicates turbo requires major repair work or replacement (50 to 90 k), stay away.

2) After , the engine is started, iddle for few mins. Switch it off. Open the engine oil cap, if slow white fume is coming out, then engine requires major overhaul repair work ,stay away.
Also, if as per the history given by seller, servicing done more than 4 k km back, and oil level is at higher mark or if oil is brown ish yellow in color(as if new ly filled in), probably car engine requires frequent topups, again stay away.

Re: Clinch the Deal with Drive.

Sure. The back-breaking research may consume lots of time from two weeks to two month or sometimes even two years, but I assure – Extensive research would definitely pay you off Drive Safe!
As every body is short of time, and we need to inspect the cars in day light, (most of time office hrs.)we should prepare a qualitative list of used cars from which we should reject even beforeTD in order to save the time.The prerequisite is original RC, insurance papers, service history should be available with the seller, which can be confirmred on phone before we reach for inspection.
1) white fume from oil level cap.
2) oil spills near turbo
3) major discrepancy(>6 months) in manufacturing dates and brands of all five tyres.
4) major discrepancy in manufacturing date of only one tyre and other four.(except if stephenie is car company provided and there is history of remaining 4 tyres replaced due to wear and tear), as there is possibility of tyre burst due to high speeds and car dragged due momentum for a distance leading to severe compromise of wheel dynamics.
5) evidence of repainting of most of the car exterior s
6) cars more than 10 years old (possibility of regn. Problems once they complete 15 year s, also difficulty to find a buyer due to pollution norms)

Last edited:

7) Cars used as TD car by dealers (sometimes dealers do not register the TD car with the RTO (to steal the tax)and try to lure the 'used car buyer' by telling him that you will be the 'first owner' on RC.
One should not fall prey to it for the reasons mentioned in following qoutes.

Why the hell the dealer wants to sell the TD car,? Is he going to shut down the dealership? If not then how he is going to sell new cars, without giving full and proper TD?

New custemer s will always take a full TD, obviously they won't shellout rs 15 lakhs without TD. As the custemers are not going to be a first timers, hence they will put the TD car under proper test for suspension, GC at worst conditions.

Also TD car will be revved to at least 3 to 4 k rpm, by the TD custemer, which will void the running in rules.

Running in is a most important factor in the cars future ,. Running in allows the cars aluminium pistons, crank case , valves to gradually swell and acclimatise the hot engine condition s. If engine is revved at high rpm during running in , its parts will have mismatched dimensions, leading to permanent malfunction, low f e, misfire, low power.It will require FREQUENT REPAIR WORK . It is ok for dealer to get it done. But for an individual custemer, it going to be headache , loss of peace of mind. Yes, cost of headache will be the discount qouted.

Ideally TD cars go back to factory for reasearch purpose after they complete 60 to 80 k running, So it is better not to become lab guineapig.

Bye the way, how does dealer selects TD custemer s?, to prevent them from revving the car, prevent them from testing suspension, GC .
:please:

Car revved beyond the running in limits are bound to change internal dimension of pistons, crank case, leading to gaps in between them.The gaps lead to leakage of fuel through them, leading to rise in oil levels and reduction in viscosity of oil. This in turn leads to emission problems and friction wear\tear of engine.

Pp

Top Bottom