Inexpensive GPS Using Your Android Phone

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just thought of sharing this bit of information about how to create a inexpensive (almost 0) GPS out of your Android phone.

Now a days smart phones are everywhere and people no longer use it just for calling. I was planning on a road trip to some good place but was thinking about a good navigation system that was not so expensive.

Checked with Map my india which cost way too high (17K). And then the door open without even me saying open sesame! Of late realized that my Android phone Samsung Galaxy 3 (i15801) is GPS capable (AGPS) and Google provide tools to use it well, per se. The default google apps cannot navigate us in India for some reason.

But then, there is a cracked version available (no idea where to download it) which my friend shared with me. Just installed it and it installs the same set of google applications (Map, Navigate, Latitude, Places) with a slightly different icon) but are unlocked functionally. You will need a TextToSpeech application available in Android market to be installed for voice navigation.

The voice navigation is just too much. The depth of information they provide is commendable. When it says, "take right at Nandhini parlour", you will definitely pause for a moment (at least the first time).

Assuming you have a Android phone, the total cost will be:

1. Maps and software - 0 Rs.
2. Internet connection - GPRS - 99 Rs (Vodafone has a 2GB limit but you will not get anywhere near with this).
3. Mobile holder for your car - Rs. 220 (on ebay).
http://www.ebay.in/itm/170741286269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
4. Mobile charger for your car - Rs 179 (on ebay).
http://www.ebay.in/itm/140661850191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thats it. You are good to go. With data connection, you can use the map and navigate software to almost find any place and this works for most part of India with up-to-date information.

Caution: Just check the route information to make sure it is routing you through the road you like.
I had to get to Bangalore from Mysore and was expecting the route to be through the SH 17 but it gave a route via Kanakapura (pretty bad road) and the reason was that, from where I was starting, that was the shortest route. Realized it after some distance, came back and enroute, asked for an alternate route to get to SH 17. Worked like a charm.

Hi JammyD, I have a Samsung Galaxy S (I9003). Would it work on it too? If yes, can you please share the .apk so that I can try it out.

TIA.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #3
It will definitely work on I9003. In fact, my friend who shared the apk with me has a Samsung Galaxy S.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
NOTE:
If you using a Samsung Galaxy 3 (i15801) like me, you will also need to install two more software from the Market (free apps).

Both the apps are by a developer octy.

1. GPS Optimisation. (need to run it only once)
2. GPS Booster. (runs automatically every time you enable GPS). This is a must as it helps in locking on to the satellites really quickly. Otherwise my phone would go on for ever waiting for location.

Hi JammyD,

At present I am using Sygic navigation software in my Galaxy tab. It works without internet and gives turn by turn voice navigation.

I would like to try the one you have suggested. I have downloaded the file that you mentioned.

Couple of clarifications:
Do I need to rename the file first to run it?
and what is the name of the text to speech apk that you are using?

Thanks

I would give a verdict in favour of Sygic Mobile Maps. During my present tour for which i am presently writing the TL, Sygic supported me very nicely. It gave me exactly the roads i was expecting and turn by turn advice. Sygic uses mapmyindia and i really liked it.

But disclaimer is, GPS should be used as an assistance, but you should be making the decisions and not relying totally on it as your guide.

Thread Starter #8
I agree that Sygic is a better option simply because it downloads all the maps to your phone and hence can be used offline.

The only reason I did not quote it here was that it was not free. There might be a cracked version somewhere but the official one is a 7 day trial and then we need to buy it at a cost of 33 Euros. Doesn't fit in with the title, does it?

Having said so, Sygic is really cool since it supports lot of countries and can even search places using google services.

If there is a cracked version, may be somebody can share it here.

There is one more application Navifree which uses Openstreemap but the maps are not good for rural use as these maps are built using contributions from users.

Thread Starter #9
Hi Ranger,

You just need to run the apk and it installs without conflict. I think the package name is different hence it does not clash with the original google applications.

Thread Starter #10
I don't remember the text to speech application but the navigation application prompts you when you run it to navigate to some place.

Thank you JammyD. I was looking for a free navigation app, I am pretty bad with roads!

@ highway ranger & anisghos: Can you share the free version of Sygic here? Sounds cool.

Thank you Jammy D, i installed the said app in my phone & it is working fine. However, I have not used it while driving, will update everyone tomorrow.

There is no such crack for Iphone 4, must purchase it for 30$ from Itunes.[frustration]

But have heard the navigation is spot ON, without data connection.

But exact address search requires data connection GPRS/3G.

Enjoy the free map on Android.

The app works absolutely as discussed, but I am facing issues in getting a gps fix, might be my phone's gps issue. I tried gps booster and optimiser too still no luck. Any suggestions?

freakdude.

Top Bottom