India's Most Overrated and Underrated Cars.

I am still confused what to write in this thread.

We can make a car superior and inferior if we think one way.In my opinion, as an overall package all the cars are equal.it is when we stress some basic requirements one becomes the winner.You have to see see that different people have different requirements.

There some cars that were selling pretty good at the beginning and then slowed down its pace like Chevrolet Beat which at first was selling very good in its petrol avatar.I think it had a waiting period at that time.Now it is back into action after the arrival of its diesel avatar.

In my opinion Fiat needs to do like what Chevrolet did.

folks IMO it all boils down to A.S.S. and Resale Value.
all the cars listed above as over-rated have good service support and great resale value. we Indians don't dump the car in scrapyards.

cost of maintenance also includes cost of spares. recently i got all the four shockers of my swift changed and it doesn't cost me a fortune. it was only 6000/- plus 500 for labor at a dealer workshop. can you pls share the cost of similar spares for fabia or a punto or a jazz...??

Last edited by a moderator:
cost of maintenance also includes cost of spares. recently i got all the four shockers of my swift changed and it doesn't cost me a fortune. it was only 6000/- plus 500 for labor at a dealer workshop. can you pls share the cost of similar spares for fabia or a punto or a jazz...??

Changed four shock absorber all together , any specific reason what is the odometer reading during the change ?

Here is Punto price,

Shock absorber Rs1600 each so X 4 = INR 6400

Total is grand INR 400 higher from the cost of swift,
Yess you are right Fiat's spares are very costly and i am sad about this
But the smiling fact mentioned below.

Mine is 2009 Linea Epack crossed 80K kms and i have been asked to change only front two Shocks not the four altogether.

Last edited:
folks IMO it all boils down to A.S.S. and Resale Value.
all the cars listed above as over-rated have good service support and great resale value. we Indians don't dump the car in scrapyards.
Apart from what 'powerpacked' has mentioned, A.S.S. and resale value are not the only things that makes a vehicle overrated or underrated.

Infact, here we are talking about the vehicle itself... service support or resale is the last thing we consider when we are debating on this topic.

Thread Starter #65
Changed four shock absorber all together , any specific reason what is the odometer reading during the change ?

Here is Punto price,

Shock absorber Rs1600 each so X 4 = INR 6400

Total is grand INR 400 higher from the cost of swift,
Yess you are right Fiat's spares are very costly and i am sad about this
But the smiling fact mentioned below.

Mine is 2009 Linea Epack crossed 80K kms and i have been asked to change only front two Shocks not the four altogether.
Again this proves that the so called maruti a.s.s is not cheap to the competition . I think sometime people feel that maruti service charges across the vehicles are same as 800 and alto.

350Z

Core Team
Most Overrated Cars:

> Honda City

> Suzuki Swift

> Toyota Etios

> Toyota Fortuner

> Mahindra XUV500

Most Underrated Cars:

> Fiat Linea

> Skoda Yeti

> Nissan Teana

> Chevrolet Beat

> Hyundai Sonata

> Mitsubishi Cedia

> Volvo S60 & S80

Drive Safe,
350Z

I feel it!!! people talking against Suzuki cars just because they are popular. and lost uniqueness.
so much popular these cars are ,yet how much review you find in forums ?
I find it scarce just because of certain anti mentality spread everywhere.
same hold true for Taxi segments cars like Indica and vista.
owners either shy away or ignore forums and enjoy real world.
own a swift Dzire as well as WagonR(2012model).I should tell that Dzire is good in space,passenger comfort and engine performance.The main problem with it is the brakes which are not efficient to stop the engine.The tendency to "fly" after 80kmph.The body strength is much better for the new WagonR than swift.WagonR has its own defects but the engine knows its limits and the driver get time for it to control and a better braking system than swift Dzire.
I know it is not good to compare it with wagonR but it should as the difference in the price tag and the demand of swift dzire is not maintaining its safety features.
I am sorry for writing this in a thread that is meant for ratings.But i couldnt resists myself in writing this

Overrated:-
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift.
  • Maruti Suzuki DZire.
  • Hyundai Verna.
  • Mahindra XUV 500.
  • Toyota Fortuner.

Underrated:-
  • Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6.
  • Fiat Linea
  • Fiat Punto
  • Tata Safari(on the forum it is underrated)
  • Skoda Yeti.
  • Chevrolet Optra Magnum.

Underrated:-
  • Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6.
I doubt this!

Now sure how many guys would agree that Fiesta classic is an under rated car. to me it is rated at par with its abilities. Furthermore, it is a very popular car not only with petrol heads but also amidst general buyers.

Not many voices speaking any negatives when discussing this beauty.

please correct where required.

I can't say anything about over rated, if they are selling much more than others doesn't mean they have to be over rated, we find a great package in them, that is why most of us buy them.

Underrated cars-
1-Fiat Punto (Suzuki Swift & i20 eating up its sales)
2-Fiat Linea (Rapid,Vento & Verna eating up its sales)
3-Chevrolet Beat (i10 & alto eating up its sales)
4-Tata Aria(Innova alone is its contender)
5-Nissan Micra & Renault Pulse (Both are good cars, very much similar to each other, might be that's why they are not selling much :P )
6-Chevrolet Cruze & Skoda Laura (People prefer buying Suv/Muv instead of these due to very less price difference)

Last edited:
Overrated cars
Fortuner
innova
Swift dzire
Underrated cars
Punto
Micra
Jazz
But most importantly Baleno which is not in production now, it was a great car but highly neglected.

I can't say anything about over rated, if they are selling much more than others doesn't mean they have to be over rated, we find a great package in them, that is why most of us buy them.
Not necessarily .
If donkeys carries all the books on their back doesn't make them learnt any day,some one else maybe holding the strings and having a life .

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Now sure how many guys would agree that Fiesta classic is an under rated car. to me it is rated at par with its abilities. Furthermore, it is a very popular car not only with petrol heads but also amidst general buyers.
Yes. I would concur to that. Fiesta cannot be defined as either an underrated car nor too overrated. Even though it might not be a hot seller but the buyers accepted it fairly well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi

In my view 2 cars ae highly over rated

1) Mahindra XUV- This car has so many niggles and people are rushing to buy it. I just fail to understand why people dont realise that it will be very hard to maintain after warranty gets over
2) Verna- 5 people cant sit in the car with 10 lacs price. Very poor handling at high speed

Both cars selling just on looks and not performance , but i feel their owners will have sleepless nights and empty pockets after warranty expires

Thread Starter #75
Hi

In my view 2 cars ae highly over rated

1) Mahindra XUV- This car has so many niggles and people are rushing to buy it. I just fail to understand why people dont realise that it will be very hard to maintain after warranty gets over
2) Verna- 5 people cant sit in the car with 10 lacs price. Very poor handling at high speed

Both cars selling just on looks and not performance , but i feel their owners will have sleepless nights and empty pockets after warranty expires
To answer your 1 point is simple people just don't have any option other then the xuv in that price range do you think if maruti, Hyundai , ford , chevorlet had SUVs in that price bracket people would have gone so crazy ?

2 point - the car won people with its looks and features offered in the price range . And other then us most of the car buying population don't care for handling and high speed stability they just don't know what is body roll . The car looks sexy it has great features perception of hyubdai a.s.s and that is what makes them go crazy .

Top Bottom