Indian RTO Regulation Regarding Headlight?

Depends on the color of the lights you're using in the projectors. Generally of they see white light they catch. Please check the alignment of the light throw. It may be going up. As a result hitting opposite traffic right in the eye. Hence he may have stopped you.

Depends on the color of the lights you're using in the projectors. Generally of they see white light they catch. Please check the alignment of the light throw. It may be going up. As a result hitting opposite traffic right in the eye. Hence he may have stopped you.
Allignment is all good. I have a white light in projector with blue angel eyes. His point was after market lights are not allowed. When i questioned him more he told white lights are allowed only in highways and not in city [frustration][confused]

Also the rule for sun film is "Rule 100 of the Act stipulates 70% visibility for windscreens and 50% for windows" . Is it really followed? when even they see sun film they fine us !

Last edited:
Allignment is all good. I have a white light in projector with blue angel eyes. His point was after market lights are not allowed. When i questioned him more he told white lights are allowed only in highways and not in city [frustration][confused]

Also the rule for sun film is "Rule 100 of the Act stipulates 70% visibility for windscreens and 50% for windows" . Is it really followed? when even they see sun film they fine us !
Yes white light(6000K) is not allowed here. If you can please change to 4300K.
As far as sun films go, they catch people here even if the sun film is fully transparent. They feel the edges of the widow glass to see if sun film is stuck and fine them if its found.
I think the rule says no sunfilm is allowed. I'm not sure. That's what they follow in Bangalore.

Yes white light(6000K) is not allowed here. If you can please change to 4300K.
As far as sun films go, they catch people here even if the sun film is fully transparent. They feel the edges of the widow glass to see if sun film is stuck and fine them if its found.
I think the rule says no sunfilm is allowed. I'm not sure. That's what they follow in Bangalore.
The lights are 4300k but it has blue angel ring. Does that make any difference !

Bangalore guys ! any input on light and sun films ?

Last edited:
No. If that's the case he should be catching all BMWs for the corona ring.
Have you ever seen any BMW/Audi/Merc cars or SUVs caught anywhere by Bangalore Police. Even with other state regn nos?

Police will only catch hapless middle class people with 2W and small/medium 4W

Racism at its best.

I don't think there is anything in the rule books that says "the usage of projector lights is forbidden". AFAIK, tampering of OE-lights may not be permitted.

If I am not wrong,spotlights, searchlights and fancylights are not allowed.

The issue is whether the beam is overpowered or ill-fitted that it is causing any unwarranted glare and is blinding the incoming traffic or not. Since authorities have no control over the quality,performance and design parameters of aftermarket fitments,their attitude towards penalizing non-OE lamps can't be questioned. It is for a reason we find car makers invariably give us 55W headlights instead of 100W.

The issue is most of the rules aren't specific enough, hence"interpreted" differently. Apart from the power output,the amount of deflection from the lamps is a serious concern as well. There is a rule on the deflection of lights. No lamp should be used in front of a car, unless it is so constructed,fitted and maintained that the beam of light emitted from it is permanently downwards such that it doesn't dazzle any person whose eye position is
1. At a distance of 8 meters from the front of the lamp
2. At a distance of 0.5 meter to the right side of the lamps.

With non-OE fitments all these can't be met with thus forbidden.
It is also for a reason why high end cars which come with powerful HIDs come with headlight washers which are meant to minimise damage from light dispersion harming the incoming traffic.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen any BMW/Audi/Merc cars or SUVs caught anywhere by Bangalore Police. Even with other state regn nos?

Racism at its best.
I totally agree with you. Same is the case with tinted glass. If you have money you can tint your glass and they won't catch but if you maintain same visibility using sun film it's a violation. Don't you think it's so stupid.

For a car of 7 or 8 years old he definitely can't maintain oem light .definitely he has to change it so even that is considered as illegal

Last edited:

Racism at its best.
OK so that means they should catch the new i20s with DRLs. They're super bright right. Its a distraction.
They are not caught. Numbers will be noted down and a notice will be sent to the owners. There is nothing to do with racism. Its just with lot of money you can break a few rules.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything in the rule books that says "the usage of projector lights is forbidden". AFAIK, tampering of OE-lights may not be permitted.

If I am not wrong,spotlights, searchlights and fancylights are not allowed.

The issue is whether the beam is overpowered or ill-fitted that it is causing any unwarranted glare and is blinding the incoming traffic or not. Since authorities have no control over the quality,performance and design parameters of aftermarket fitments,their attitude towards penalizing non-OE lamps can't be questioned. It is for a reason we find car makers invariably give us 55W headlights instead of 100W.

The issue is most of the rules aren't specific enough, hence"interpreted" differently. Apart from the power output,the amount of deflection from the lamps is a serious concern as well. There is a rule on the deflection of lights. No lamp should be used in front of a car, unless it is so constructed,fitted and maintained that the beam of light emitted from it is permanently downwards such that it doesn't dazzle any person whose eye position is
1. At a distance of 8 meters from the front of the lamp
2. At a distance of 0.5 meter to the right side of the lamps.

With non-OE fitments all these can't be met with thus forbidden.
It is also for a reason why high end cars which come with powerful HIDs come with headlight washers which are meant to minimise damage from light dispersion harming the incoming traffic.
some after market lights are better than oem. In that case they should have a device or something by which they can tell beam is over powered. Just putting fine because it's a different headlight is not valid .

some after market lights are better than oem. In that case they should have a device or something by which they can tell beam is over powered. Just putting fine because it's a different headlight is not valid .
Power is only one factor. The fitment, focus, materials used, design so that the “throw” is within the “accepted limits” are only a few to name, for safer roads.

When it comes to incorporation of these lamps, the “control” is better achieved at the Manufacturing level [OEM]. Checking each and every parameters at the roadside, Cops are definitely ill-equipped and can’t expect them to have it as well, other than say a “Luxmeter =Light intensity meter”.

We are definitely getting there. In Kerala, Cops are getting Luxmeters and the move has already started to spot and penalize the violators including high beam users.
I know there are exceptions and there are a couple of good non-OE setups at least. But then, does a rule allow for such exceptions ? Not practical, isn't it?

Not to offend anybody, but I have seen more cases where cars are equipped with high power multiple headlights all around that are good enough to lit up Wankhede stadium for a friendly cricket match. The worst part is most of them have absolutely no idea of what a “ low beam” is and it has become a habit to set the headlights to high beam by default. [frustration]

Whom do you blame here ? Cops /Rule books/ Manufactures/ or yourself.
Our country do have a long way to go. Unless and until our manufactures feel the need to offer better headlights in their cars, we common man are left with not many choices. The rule book isn’t perfect, nor do we.

I was having prjector light with 4300k bulb. But cops caught me and fined me for dazzling light and gave two days time to remove it and show the vehicle to the concerned officer. While i was standing there, they caught a skoda and fined him, but the guy refused to pay as it was oem setup. Finally after some arguments, he was left free.

I was having prjector light with 4300k bulb. But cops caught me and fined me for dazzling light and gave two days time to remove it and show the vehicle to the concerned officer. While i was standing there, they caught a skoda and fined him, but the guy refused to pay as it was oem setup. Finally after some arguments, he was left free.
So did you remove it ? did you show it to those people?

Top Bottom