Indian City Reviews!

350Z

Core Team
Back from a short trip in and near Dehradun. Must say, the city is nice and developing but still a lot better than rest of the U.P and U.K regions that I have been to. Somewhat comparable to Chandigarh when it comes to peace, and etiquette of local people (Read well-behaved). The transport could still be an issue though, if you’re not having your own vehicle. Watch this space for a travelogue soon. Meanwhile, also requesting others to keep adding their experiences of various Indian cities in this thread, since it will prove to be a lot useful for everyone.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Indian City reviews! land of looms and lores...

KANNUR.
north , second to last district of Kerala .

summer is not much great time to visit , remains dry and humid.

places not to miss :-

#muzhapilangad drive in beach (4km long continues beach)

#parassinikadavu snake park

#parassini kadavu temple

#Saint Angelos Fort

#Thalassery Fort

#Ezhimala

#Pazhassi Dam

#Payyambalam Beach Resort

roads are narrow and looks ancient in city without any traffic signals or rules.

people including cops are much humble and helpful.

autowalas and private bus is most common conveyance and there is no loot (they wont fleece you) has fixed charges with rs.10 minimum in auto and rs.4 minimum in bus.

good resorts almost everywhere around the district with special attraction for beach resorts.

one can reach by train and bus .

nearest airport is calicut airport 120km away and mangalore airport 160km from kannur.

my home is 12km from kannur town and 3 km away from drive in beach.

the best part in kannur is lush green vegetation , rich flora and fauna.

lot of rivers, shills , interesting tradition (lores) dating back to 1000years and much more.

more details in below link.

Kannur - Places of Tourist Interest

Last edited:
I found only mumbai a place in india where a rick ride is so cheap and they don't "take you on a ride"--Read between the lines.

Some remarks on various autowallah's in the cities i have lived
I have lived in :-

Delhi - pay by bargaining, they open their mouth and you hear "Saw rupay bhaisab"

Pune - Pay by meter in PMC area and bargain in PCMC area (2 municipal corps in Pune), If you speak Marathi(fortunately I can) then good else be ready!!

Bangalore - Pay by meter, they really "take you on a ride" if you don't know the place and if you don't know Kannada(unfortunately i couldn't)

Chennai- Learn Tamil first before entering the city, that's all I can say[frustration]

Nagpur- Cover your nose (they use kerosene blended petrol). Actually haven't experienced much auto rides there because I used to have "Hero Puch" in my college days, but whenever I used to go to Railway Station i used to hire one and you have to bargain a lot and use the magical line always "Arey bhaiyya student hai, jaan loge kya ab"

AMG

Suspended
^

You seem to be a well travveled guy.

Here in Amritsar, things are pretty simple.
You get shared autos.
and it is 10Rs fixed.

Even if you get down at the next stop, or go till the last point.

Best Way to go to bangalore airport from M.G Road or Kempaguda (majestic)

Hello Friends
This weekend i have to travel to bangalore. My return flight is at 16:40 from Bangalore.
I will be in the M.G road Area.
Can anyone please tell me what is the fastest way to reach airport from there?
Also which one is the cheapest as well [:)]

Thanks

Re: Best Way to go to bangalore airport from M.G Road or Kempaguda (majestic)

KIA Vayu Vajra Volvo buses will be best for you. They are cheapest will take around 1 hr to airport from Majestic. But you need to confirm the timing. You can check here :
http://www.bengaluruairport.com/tra...&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=emvy2wdzd_4

Else go for Mega cabs. They will be cheapest with 650 INR flat to airport from anywhere in Bangalore.

Hope this helps.

Kolkata Taxis (the yellow ones) religiously go by the meter, and the fare that has to be paid is decided based on a conversion chart that is mandatorily available with every cab driver.

However the major problem that the people faced were with the refusals. It reached such a boiling point that the Govt has now introduced a huge number of "No Refusal" cabs (White Ones with No Refusal written in Blue) where the fare remains the same and the cabbie cannot refuse to take you in. This has been a welcome step by the administration and has taught the regular Yellow Cabs a lesson or two and the refusal rate has gone down a bit.

I have not seen many Indian cities but I have visited Kolkata, Patna, Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida and Amritsar.

Kolkata: Very underrated city. Many of my friends say this city is **** or dirty or stuff like that but somehow Kolkata always has been an enjoyable experience for me and this city holds a special place in my heart.

Patna: Belong from this place so spent some time during vacations. Traffic is rough and having the Xylo here was very beneficial. But overall a nice city and just needs more development.

Delhi: I just moved here like a year ago but have visited a few places and still have to explore a lot more places. Connaught Place is like the hub of all the young people so it is important to visit atleast once. I am really liking this place. Traffic sense is the best among all the cities. And the greenery around is nice too.

Noida: I spend 5 days a week here and must say its a dull place. Roads are nice though and well spread out. Traffic sense is little off but the DND flyway is just very beautiful and a pleasure to drive on.

Gurgaon: Its a happening city and its very big also. I do not travel much inside gurgaon just Ambience Mall and couple other places. It is very open area and basically from what I feel its based on the NH8 itself. :P I like this place too.

Amritsar: I was here only for couple hours so don't remember much. But overall city was nice with awesome lassi.

I have toured almost entire India many times within past 20 years and my best comfort of taxi wala is with Mumbai, no need to discuss that where you want to go most of the times, just sit they will take and best part is no bargain at all as all the taxi meters work perfectly

Top Bottom