Indian Cars with Most Solid and Poor Resale Values

the best option is as usual maruthi suzuki but when we need a premium car which does not rattle the only option is hyundai. top end i20 is costly but other variants of i20 , float around 6+ lakh so we cannot say all of them are costly.

considering the sales figures and popularity in India hyundai is definitely a wise choice.
on the other hand tata fiat is still strugling with low sale and poor a.s.s. and i've started feeling it badly nowadays.

Good resale:

Hyundai Santro
Maruti Wagon R
Maruti Ritz
Maruti Dzire
Toyota Innova
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra Bolero
Toyota Corolla

Bad resale:

Chevy Spark
Chevy Beat
Tata Indica
Fiat Punto
Tata Sumo
Hyundai Accent
Sonalika Rhino!!!
Tata Indigo
Tata Safari
I have been hunting around for a Punto but there are none in the market. Yours must be a one off case.

well basically any maruti product would sell in good numbers even though being in used market same case lies with tata with brand image working on both the markets.
Mahindra has mixed reactions at new cars and in used market.
Also add hyundai accent in bad resale value list.
Ford's fiesta also carried bad resale value.
Not all maruti's sell easily. I'm not getting anything much for my Alto. Swift Petrol's have low resale value. Also the SX4 suffers the same. Now Esteems and Baleno's can be bought for a song. Hyundai's seem to have a better resale.

Really nice comparo thread 350Z.

Heres my list.

Cars sold in India with Solid resale values
  • Maruti- Almost all except Versa, GV.
  • Honda- All of them
  • Mahindra Scorpio(Mhawk has good demand in the second hand market)
  • Toyota- All of them
  • Mercedes- C-Class, S-Class, not aware of others.

Cars sold in India with poor resale:

• Most of the tata cars, especially petrol ones.
  • Chevrolet spark, aveo UVA, Captiva.
  • Hyundai Elantra, Sonata Gold.
  • Skoda- Almost all the models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Akash some typo in your post! Check the first line , Maruti- almost all except Verna i think it should have been Versa.

Last edited:
I agree, what I wanted to say is resale values is based on more than the A.S.S reputation.
I would say it more on the vehicle's track record. Mahindra's A.S.S. is a bad as Tata's.

i20 is anyway costly (When I bought Punto D, my friend payed more to buy i20 P with less features).
Hmm, i forgot the on-road prices. Is i20 base diesel more expensive than Punto diesel top end?

And also, I don't know whats your friends mindset was to buy a car looking just at re-sale, that too he plans to keep for 5-6 years.
Point is, he wants to sell the car later & upgrade to a sedan. So good resale value is his priority.

Anyway, let us not go again with i20 vs Punto (its so interesting to discuss though[:)]).
Not a debate my friend, just a healthy discussion. [:)]

I am sure though, Fiat cars will not match the resale value of Marutis/Hyundais.
They will, if FIAT takes control of it's sales & service rather than relying over TATA.

Thread Starter #24

350Z

Core Team
There are many cars in our country, which are instant hit and hold the great resale value figures, but unfortunately, some cars like Cedia, in spite of being good are going at cheap prices in the pre-owned car market. However, many factors influence the resale value of a car but let us today discuss about the resale value of various cars sold in India, along with the reason why it is solid or poor. To begin, I am adding some names of a few cars, reasons to follow shortly.

Cars sold in India with solid resale:

• Maruti Swift
  • Honda City
  • Honda Civic
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Mercedes C-Class.
Cars sold in India with poor resale:

• Ford Mondeo
  • Chevrolet Aveo
  • Hyundai Elantra
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia
Drive Safe,
350Z
Sorry for not updating this thread with reasons, here we go, but only for cars with poor re-sale value:

Ford Mondeo: One of my personal favorite. It just did not do well because of sky-high ownership costs, and lack of snob value for which Honda or Toyota are always preferred in this segment.

Chevrolet Aveo: Nice sedan with amazing interiors to put a car of segment above, on shame. This was a flop due to lack of stylish design and GM's not-so-competitive initial price-tag.

Hyundai Elantra: This car has done fairly well in the market, and offers an excellent value for money, even as a used car buy but still depreciates like anything, thanks to the Hyundai badge and dated looks.

Hyundai Sonata:
Sonata sings almost the same saga as of Elantra. Hyundai is the brand which usually the owners of D-segment still not prefer.

Mitsubishi Cedia: An awesome car with superb dynamics, the let major let-down for low resale value is over-priced tag of new one, Plus, the less popularity due to poor Marketing as well as A.S.S of Mitsubishi Motors.

Drive Safe,
350Z

wow!! just 10 year old ford ikon for rs.50,000 only? are you serious? is it same ikon in your avatar? i never knew that it has so pathetic resale!! [shock]
It is the same Ikon. But i have to admit that i was very luck guy. It s an awesome car. Still after 10 yrs it is super.

It is the same Ikon. But i have to admit that i was very luck guy. It s an awesome car. Still after 10 yrs it is super.
you are right. i have also seen some 10 year old ikons for sale on Rs.1 - 1.5 lakhs but this much is very low if car is in working condition. happy driving in your lucky ikon!! [:)]

you are right. i have also seen some 10 year old ikons for sale on Rs.1 - 1.5 lakhs but this much is very low if car is in working condition. happy driving in your lucky ikon!! [:)]
It's trouble free if you maintain it properly. I spent nearly 25-30k on it in past 15 months...

Thread Starter #28

350Z

Core Team
There were times when the Ford ikon was known as a performance-oriented car with a fairly well snob value, and it was retailed at approx. Rs.6 Lakhs – Rs.7 Lakhs, but eventually the car has almost lost it all, including the re-sale value. However, it is Ford, which is to be held liable for not providing the ikon required refreshments on time. I have seen the ikons going for as low as Rs.90,000 in used car market, but anyways, it’s still a good car and makes a decent buy.

Drive Safe,
350Z

For me, wheels are meant to be enjoyed. So long as I don't sink in my money with my eyes wide shut, I should have no reason to complain about[glasses].
That's why I never regret buying the 2 Fiats I owned. The resale was terrible but I enjoyed driving the cars. I buy the car for driving and not for it's resale. I cannot compromise with a bad car just because resale is good.

Indian Cars with Most Solid Resale Values:
1) Swift VDI, especially white.
2) Toyota Innova
3) Toyota Qualis, man! individual sellers post ads quoting 5 lakhs!And people buy it.
4) 1st Gen Honda city
5) Fiat Palio D1.9(Not sure about other cities than Bangalore,because we have lot of Palio lovers here)
Indian Cars with Most Poor Resale Values:
1) Opel Astra,corsa,corsa sail
2) Daewoo Matiz and cielo

Top Bottom