Indian Auto Industry - History & Timeline

Tata Estate was a good car (which segment does it belonged btw?) but the one which I liked most was this model, just look at its rear windows which look so cool.

PS: Ratan Tata looked so young![:)]

Attachments

Yay our previous car , The Sierra![:D]

This car had almost everything styling , features , reliability , durability etc!

The only drawback is aged people may find it difficult to enter inside the back seats!

I have driven Sierra when I was doing my 10 std. Its a superb car for that period. Good pick up and very roomy. The most interesting thing was TATA attempted to sell this in UK as well with the name TATA Gurkha.
-----------Next Post-----------
Found this TATA Gurkha description: http://www.ajovalo.net/Historia/Ei-Suomi6.htm

Last edited:
Thread Starter #81
i guess sierra name is already used by ford.
Yes you are correct, when i was searching on tata sierra, i came to know this.

wikipedia
The Ford Sierra is a large family car built by Ford Europe from 1982 until 1993. It was designed by Uwe Bahnsen, Robert Lutz and Patrick le Quément. The code used during development was "Project Toni".
Here it is -

Attachments

Last edited:
Tata Estate was a good car (which segment does it belonged btw?) but the one which I liked most was this model, just look at its rear windows which look so cool.
From what I heard, the "cool" rear windows were a major production headache, and the rejection rate was nearly 30%.
Even with that, in most of the Sierras, you could see a very high amount of distortion in the rear glasses.

Interesting observation Aditya! I have never experienced that in our Sierra!

So in those days Ford did not file a case against Tata??[lol]

Thread Starter #85
1994 Launch of Tata Sumo - the multi utility vehicle

sumo.gif
This was first launched in 1994 and delux version came in 1997 and was one of the first passenger vehicles designed in India. The Sumo received an extensive facelift in 2004 and was renamed the Sumo Victa in face of competition from relatively modern competitors.

The Sumo is based on Tata Motors' 207 pick-up platform and thus, shared most of its other mechanics with other Tata vehicles like the Tata Sierra, Tata Estate, Tata Tatamobile, Tata Telcoline (TL) and Tata 207DI. In 1994, the Tata Sumo originally came with a 1948cc normally aspirated diesel engine. Later, an option of a turbocharged version of the same engine was also offered.

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
Little History of Tata Sumo can also be read in our Tata Sumo Grande MK-II Road Test Thread. This car has come a long way and has only improved with the time. Current model being a no exception, I'm impressed with the sheer design and space. So calling this one as a totally "MUV" won't be fair.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Oh yes another great car from Tata! Was an instant hit in the taxi segment! Still i see lots of Victa's as taxi's!! But i liked the first edition of the Sumo more than Victa!!

TATA first began exporting its 312

in the year 1961 Tata began exporting its product first to to Sri Lanka, then called Ceylon. It was named 312. Later they began exporting to African countries.

I am amazed to see how well these were built. You will not be surprised to see some of the 4x4 versions still on road with their original German engines. We had 2 of them when we were in logging business. Imagine the hauling power. The load of a single Merc 312 had to be put on two 1210se when it was bought from jungle to the main road.

tata export.jpg

Thread Starter #90
1993 - Maruti Zen

zen.JPG

Maruti Zen has acquired significant popularity in India since the nameplate was first introduced in 1993. The word "ZEN" is an acronym standing for Zero Engine Noise. It also stands for the Japanese word "Zen" which derives from the Sanskrit word "Dhyana" and means "To figure out something by meditation or by a sudden flash of enlightenment."

It underwent a facelift in 2003. The production of this model ended in March 2006.

Attachments

Top Bottom