Inconsistent Rules & Norms in India

Thread Starter #1
Is there a discrepancy / inconsistency in our Norms?

Just taking two common examples,
1) Seat belt mandatory for 4 wheelers - but i don't find any seat belts in buses (especially the govt buses)
2) Seating capacity of 2 wheelers is 'two' and law states more than 'two' is illegal - How many buses carry passengers strictly on their capacity? or don't they have any capacity limits?

2) Seating capacity of 2 wheelers is 'two' and law states more than 'two' is illegal - How many buses carry passengers strictly on their capacity? or don't they have any capacity limits?
well agree! so many over loaded buses ply why no one catches them or is it under table thing?? [thinking]

350Z

Core Team
1) Seat belt mandatory for 4 wheelers - but i don't find any seat belts in buses (especially the govt buses)
Don’t know about south region but in Delhi most of the bus drivers (including private) are afraid of cops and make sure to wear the seat belts. Just for the sake of it though because those belts are quite useless.

Drive Safe,
350Z

No idea who are following rules in india.

I was travelling from pondicherry to chennai in maza.

near "MGM" chennai , i was driving at normal speed. On a wide 4 lane kind of road.
I was right behind a ford fiesta , which was behind a taxi sumo and all 3 same speed and none tried over taking other.
a traffic cop [beggar] came to middle of road and blocked all the 3 and let for the sumo and fiesta.
they hold me for speeding , showing in their laser gun , speed recorded 63kmph in 40kmph zone. they added if its nelow 59 no fine!

Fine , i was following the other two cars for almost last 5 to 8 kms. I hope no laser gun can reach that much kms and those 5 kms were not absolutely straight for that laser gun to detect.

they didnt give any reason for letting the other two cars which were in same speed as mine.

Rules have severe loops in them in INDIA and one uses them wisely and one fails to use them wisely .
Dont know when the rules are going to be mean same to every person.

Yes, they have seat belts for the driver when they're pressed into service. The Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR) mandates that. Drivers not buckling up is another story.
Buses too have a seating capacity, and carrying more number of passengers than what's allowed is punishable. Cops do catch violators at times. In the Palakkad-Thrissur route, cops sometimes charge private buses for overloading. Often this happens inside the city limits.

Last edited:
Do not buckle up is another story, there are many buses which do not have the seat belt
Of course there are! I said, they all will have it when they're new. After a while, they either replace the seats, or simply remove the seat-belt completely.

Agreed, but did they ever catch govt buses?
No. Yet to see something like that happening

Top Bottom