Improving Performance of Gypsy Without Effecting Mileage?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to know what are the way we can increase performance without effecting FE too much .

I was talking to mechanic he said I can go for custom header .

Any way to improve performance at early rpm ?

Re: performance mod without effecting FE too much

Wow,see Master,before I tell you anything about mods and all,I'd recommend you to think of 'RAID DE HIMALAYA'.You can even cancel your Ladakh trip and make the same trip in September driving a rally car.
You and your wifey and a rally car,nothing can be better than this.

Thread Starter #5

Ya I have in my mind about raid the Himalayan but let see if my work let me do this

You can rearrange your time buddy,cancel the August trip and go for raid.
Get your Gypsy registered in the Endurance category now itself,this will help you arrange your time as you will be knowing when you have to leave etc etc.Secondly your money spent will make you arrange your time even better.This is the advantage of being a businessman,you need not to ask anyone for leaving.

Raid De Himalaya..

Thread Starter #7

Look like i have cancel raid the Himalayan as i am already too late + late fee charge is 72000 instead of 42000 . well next year i will make sure i don't miss early . Now we are going bit off-topic

Achieving better performance without compromising FE is quite challenging, not impossible though.

I think this can be achieved by making changes to one or more of the following factors -
1. Ignition timing - most engines will do better with couple of degrees extra advance (easy mod)

2. Revised cam profile/ regrind - optimised for fuel economy with revised overlap/ lift etc (not an easy mod)

3. Adjustable cam gear - a couple of degrees advanced cam timing (even for SOHC) helps performance earlier in the torque curve. This may also give you better gas mileage at lower rpm range but this may hamper your higher rpm performance. (easy mod)

4. Head modification - Any modification done to help induce/improve swirl (mixing) will improve combustion thus improving FE without compromising performance. (not an easy mod)

5. Accurate AFR tuning - Some older cars run richer than stoich (14.7:1 AFR) at idle and part throttle. In such cases leaning it towards stoich helps improve throttle response also improving FE. (easy mod - but time consuming)

6. Compression ratio - A higher comp setup if done right maybe able to provide higher FE and better performance. (not an easy mod)

ECU remap (if done right) will provide you with reasonable amount of gains.

upgraded spark plugs and air filter may provide gains, not by much though in the low rev spectrum.

Achieving better performance without compromising FE is quite challenging, not impossible though.

I think this can be achieved by making changes to one or more of the following factors -
1. Ignition timing - most engines will do better with couple of degrees extra advance (easy mod)

2. Revised cam profile/ regrind - optimised for fuel economy with revised overlap/ lift etc (not an easy mod)

3. Adjustable cam gear - a couple of degrees advanced cam timing (even for SOHC) helps performance earlier in the torque curve. This may also give you better gas mileage at lower rpm range but this may hamper your higher rpm performance. (easy mod)

4. Head modification - Any modification done to help induce/improve swirl (mixing) will improve combustion thus improving FE without compromising performance. (not an easy mod)

5. Accurate AFR tuning - Some older cars run richer than stoich (14.7:1 AFR) at idle and part throttle. In such cases leaning it towards stoich helps improve throttle response also improving FE. (easy mod - but time consuming)

6. Compression ratio - A higher comp setup if done right maybe able to provide higher FE and better performance. (not an easy mod)
Spot on .

More air + More Fuel = Power (NA Cars)
More air (high boost) + controlled fuel Aftermarket ECU + Proper ignition (Coilpacks ignitors ) + big exhaust = MORE Power

You will lose a bit

Turbo/Supercharging makes your car more efficient [:)]

Top Bottom