Illikkal Kallu a Mesmerizing Hill

Thread Starter #1
Friends, I am sharing the experience of another exotic trip I made. It was to Illikkal Kallu and Ilaveezhappoonchira in the month of February, 2018. It was a one day trip. Illikkal Kallu is 110Km away from my home, via Kanjirappally – Erattupetta.

Illikkal Kallu is situated at an altitude of around ~3500 feet above mean sea level. Illickal Kallu is spread across Moonnilavu and Thalanadu village in Kottayam district and it is 57km away from Kottayam railway station. The nearest town is Teekoy.

Illikkal Hill comprises three rocks and each of the rock has a peculiar shape which always allures you. One of them resembles a mushroom, which is known as Kuda Kallu. It is almost impossible to reach the top of Kudakkallu. The second rock has a small hunch back on the sides and is therefore referred to as Koonan Kallu.
DSC_0083.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG

Thread Starter #2
Illikkal Hill is a twin hill. We have access only to the summit of first hill. The Kuda Kallu and Koonan Kallu are on the peak of second hill. There is a very narrow (6-12 inch) slippery foot path called Narakapalam (bridge to hell) connecting two hills. Adventurous ones can walk across this narakappalam (narrow bridge) to reach the Koonan Kallu, now the entry to the top of the peak through Narakapalam is restricted due to a tragedy, which lead to the demise of a fellow traveler in 2017. Thereafter proper fencing is placed on the top of the view point in order to avoid any such dangerous situations.

It is believed that the mythical medicinal herb Neela Koduveli, a mythical blue flower is also believed to possess supernatural powers grows here.
DSC_0070_02.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG

Thread Starter #3
As usual it was a solo trip in my Safari Storme, I started early in the morning with my camera (Nikon D3300) and some snacks and water. It was a Sunday, not much traffic in the morning drove leisurely to Pathanamthitta and then to Kanjirappally. Filled diesel in between and at around 9am I had my breakfast from a restaurant from kanjirappally. After breakfast headed towards Erattupetta and I reached there around 9.30am. Now hardly 20km drive to Illikkal Kallu but it took almost one hour to cover the distance. The road leading to Illikkal Kallu from Erattupetta is narrow, zigzag and is very steep especially the last 3km stretch is very steep.

Finally I reached the outpost at around 11am and parked the vehicle. Private vehicles are allowed only up to the parking and outpost / ticket counter ~2 km before the summit. Visitors are required to pay entry fees and parking fees at the ticket counter here and can opt for a walk to the summit or utilize Jeep safaris provided by DTPC to reach the top.
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG

Thread Starter #4
The view from Illikal kallu is mesmerizing with numerous green capped hills rising to the clouds and the deep valleys. The place is so cool and windy and misty.

Jeeps to the summit were ready and managed to get into the front seat, the road to summit was very steep and only 4x4 vehicles can do the job here. Finally I reached the summit after a trek of about 500m further. I have no words to explain the view the 3 rocks and the green capped hills and valleys from the summit.
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0062.JPG

Thread Starter #5
The view of the sunset from above the peak in the evening of a full moon day can be astonishing: the moon can be seen rising up like another sun, as the orange sun goes down. Numerous mountain streams originate from this peak and flowing down to form the Meenachal River.
I started to decent the hill and started to go back home with the majestic experience extended by Illikkal Kallu.
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG

Last edited:

Top Bottom