IGI Airport Terminal - 3 Now Open

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Anyone read this? Finally the all-new International class Terminal - 3 of New Delhi Airport has been recently inaugurated.

India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurated the new Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in New Delhi on Saturday morning, making it the fifth largest airport in the world. The prime minister inaugurated the terminal unveiling a plaque at about 10.45 a.m. at a function. Ruling coalition United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi was also present at the inauguration. IGIA has metro station connecting it to the city center.

“A good airport would signal the arrival of a new India,” Singh said. India's domestic passengers are estimated to grow four times by 2020 exceeding 50 million annually, he said. Another similar terminal is planned in Mumbai.

The 5.4 million square feet terminal has 78 gates, 97 automated walkways, 95 immigration counters, 215,000 square feet of retail space and parking for 4,300 four wheelers. The terminal will begin functioning from July 14. With this New Delhi airport will reach a capacity of handling 60 million passengers a year by 2020. The terminal will be run by a consortium led by GMR, state-run Airports Authority of India Ltd., Frankfurt-based Fraport AG and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd.Emirates Airline will soon fly the Airbus SAS A380 superjumbo to Delhi with the opening of the new terminal. (Courtesy: IBM times)

13249-igi-airport-in-new-delhi.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
All thanks to the upcoming common wealth games because of which we’re noticing such rapid improvements in Delhi. IGI is the best airport in India where I have been to, yet. Also, The new terminal will have both, domestic as well as International flights.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes I heard about this. I also saw a video in which it shows and explans all the buildings structures and purpose. This is what the capital needs. Kudos!

But it is sad that such developments are brought in for the sake of the Commonwealth games. It is not in the spirit of democracy.

Thanks to the Commonwealth games, our national capital is getting things it deserved.

Last edited:
Will be flying to Delhi after a break of over nearly 2 months this weekend, but I suspect the domestic flights are not going to be thru this terminal!!

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
Will be flying to Delhi after a break of over nearly 2 months this weekend, but I suspect the domestic flights are not going to be thru this terminal!!
Nope, Not yet. They will ply only by the end of this month.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey i read it is the third largest airport in the world somewhere! Our capital surely deserves something like this.

And guess what the world's largest aircraft A-380 Jumbo( don remember the name exactly) made its official landing here a few days back returning from Saudi!

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
Re: All New Terminal-3 at IGI Airport Now Open

Update! Terminal - 3 is far more advanced and does certainly meets the international standards. I will post some outside pictures tomorrow.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Looking great especially the tunnel in the last picture! Chennai Airport is under renovation , should be as good as this once the work is completed.

Top Bottom