Ideal VFM Car in India for Bigger Families?

Did you mean buying a car is less expensive than communicating with your friend in other car? oMG world is changing so fast.jokes apart
I am sure Innova is not for you in such case. You need a bigger car else you will end up arguing who will sit at rear seats.

Taking 2 cars instead of 1 MPV is good in the case we are going to pick up/drop to Near by Airport or Railway station. But in the case of a long tour, its difficult for a 6/7 member family to use 2 cars.
1. There will not be any extra driver available in some cases. At the maximum of 3 members in the Indian family can drive.
2. cant enjoy much in 2 cars.Most of the Indian familys go for long trips maximum twice in an year. Even for the short weekend trips its better to use a MPV than 2 cars.
I would love to Adjust with my family/friends in SUV/MUV than sit comfortably and go for long trip or short trip in 2 cars
+1 but as this is for 1-2 times in an year, why not simply HIRE some MPV ?

eg-
I started to reply, because from the past 3 months i am going through this situation every weekend. I have 3 best friends and most of the weekends we will go for some short trips to cinemas, beaches or to local tourist places. Earlier we were going on 2 bikes and later we all bought cars.We take any one car for these trips. I married 3 years before. Then also we manged with single car. One of my friend married 3 months before and our no increased to 6 and every time we need to take 2 cars because we don't have any MPV in our friend circles.
The problem comes in these are for every decision making or route change or for a stop for coffee, we need to call to another car and sometime in remote places they will be in out of range too. It also increases expenses. Except me three of my friends using diesel cars(Indica,Indica Vista Vx, Swift VDi). Now we others pushing the 'Indica owner' to buy atleast Venture
LoL. This marriage thing was funny here....[lol]

Now look practically here -

If 1 guy buys MPV, all 6 will be 100% dependent on him, what will you do if he is not available ??

Say you need to buy one, why buy Venture & drive it for remaining 6 days for no reason ? For 1 day, you are loosing pleasure of 6 days. MPV is good as single car if you need to move in bulk. Eg. It is good for MLAs, MPs as they need to carry around their chamchas with them 24x7 or you have a joint family (or maybe single big one like 2 wives, 6-7 kids etc. :P)

Calling up each other & things are indeed true & can be irritating at times, especially if one driver is over-enthusiastic.[anger]

You surely can opt for MPV in this case, but only as 2nd car...else couple of years down the line when you all will have kids, someone amongst you will be asking to buy a bus.[lol]

@SAm & Jayadev

Here I agree with Nozzlering's point on Budget. Still i remember the tours we done in Omni in our Child hood days and College Days. In my school days, My uncle had an Omni. For any functions in our family, Uncle come and pick us in his Omni with his family to our native place. Then there will be 8 passengers(4adults,2Teenegers,2kids) will travel in the Van around 200 Km. I will be always in the rear side seat with my cousin brother and watching the vehicles come behind us and give 'tata" to them. Then there were no other option available for Omni except Jeep. Even at family functions,though Ambassadors and Jeeps available, we loved to travel in Omni. We thought Omni is faster and comfortable.

Later in college, on of my friend owned 8 seater Omni, which was brand new at the time. Even Sumo & Qualis were on the road, we were most traveled on this. We loved the opposite facing seats, very much, even though no leg space. At that time, we people have no issues about safety. Now none of our family likes Omni.After several years , i just traveled in an Omni ambulance last day. It was very different experience.It was like travelling in an auto.

I am owning a petrol Esteem, When comparing even my single car itself is costlier other diesel MPV/SUV travel expense. Here a second hand Innova really matters.
@Sam- Swift+ Vista is usually are using for our weekend trips ..but more than the cost, it is the happiness and joy matters in these trips.for the long trips we will take our Neighbours private reg innova / scorpio on rent basis even we are 5 members only. I love to take innova back seat at these times,because, it will be only me will occupy the seat and i can comfortably sleep/rest on that with the help of a pillow. Scorpio back seat is not that much comfy and leg space is also less.

When we tell my friend to buy Venture, he always tells what about buying Tata Magic on shared Basis[evil].( he has 2 taxi indicas, thats why we telling him to buy MPV, Earlier we tell him to buy Innova, now it is like at least a venture, which he like to buy if Tata gives with multijet 90hp engine)

You have Tata winger too!
Make some custom modification and you are on roll in royal sense.

I had to travel in omni recently in a marriage function because my car got stolen I mean kids tricked me and took it to have a day.
Believe me We were 9 in it, gents and ladies compressed and zipped.
I kept repeating with my usual petrol head hang on safety that if we met an accident we nine wont get an entry even in yamalok.(hell).
i mean come on these are 2 decade old outdated designs concerning safety standards.
They were designed when people would walk 10 miles to see the first car in the nearest town. And roads were so empty and only thing any vehical would hit was dogs or birds.
Things have changed now.

The car in front of you have abs, he may stop instantly but you may not be able to and bang. Otherwise a 50 ton trailer you tried to overtake on slope and you see incoming traffic but your car wont hasten..and bang
And that is how problems arises.then you would think ahh I should have bought a better vehicle.

Last edited:
I guess a People Mover car/mpv/suv etc etc should be purchased based on the budget and taste of the buyer. We cannot even relate/compare all the vehicles listed.

For a professional office goer I believe Ertiga/Scorpio will serve the purpose.
If the family already have one Car then go with Innova or Xylo even these two can be used to fetch some additional earning.

Eco/Winger I don't call as personal use vehicle.

But at the end matters is finance and taste.

My take is if you don't require 7 seater 24x7, best to buy a nice car & rent innova, xylo or scorp. BTW, I have started to see even taxi Ertiga on Pune roads but came to know that the demand is very poor & many tour operators have dropped their plans to buy Ertiga. Some are awaiting for Aria price to reduce so that they can replace their Innova with Aria.

If you can't afford Innova, Xylo, XUV, then I guess Eeco is the way to go.

I just did a survey in my mind, looking at a bunch of big families (> 4) we know, and they happen to own either an Innova, Xylo, XUV, Scorpio, Fortuner or Captiva. Innova and Xylo are pretty common. In fact Innova is too common. Also, all these big families have one small car as well. That's usually a Santro, i10 or Alto.

All the best. Do let us know your final decision.

If you can't afford Innova, Xylo, XUV, then I guess Eeco is the way to go.

I just did a survey in my mind, looking at a bunch of big families (> 4) we know, and they happen to own either an Innova, Xylo, XUV, Scorpio, Fortuner or Captiva. Innova and Xylo are pretty common. In fact Innova is too common. Also, all these big families have one small car as well. That's usually a Santro, i10 or Alto.

All the best. Do let us know your final decision.
Rafian, We have a Eeco in office and it is best suited to carry materials and with one or two people. It is complete unsafe in driving area if you hit anything from front the next minute you will become like paste. It has a terrible body roll. The row behind driving seat has a pathetic seating comfort within 70 to 100km you will feel all aches[:)]

We bought a CNG version and unfortunately no CNG is available most of the times in our city, hence it is just a petrol drinker [cry]

IMO,Innova is the best vehicle for bigger families.When we have festivals,big family and airport run,we will take our company Innova twice or thrice.

Best Family Vehicles IMO are:

1.Innova
2.Ertiga and
3.Xylo

Rafian, We have a Eeco in office and it is best suited to carry materials and with one or two people. It is complete unsafe in driving area if you hit anything from front the next minute you will become like paste. It has a terrible body roll. The row behind driving seat has a pathetic seating comfort within 70 to 100km you will feel all aches[:)]

We bought a CNG version and unfortunately no CNG is available most of the times in our city, hence it is just a petrol drinker [cry]
Well, honestly I have not driven the Eeco, but I've seen a lot on the road. I just thought it might be a good car. Thanks for pointing out the flaws in Eeco.

I should change my opinion about the Eeco.

IMO,Innova is the best vehicle for bigger families.When we have festivals,big family and airport run,we will take our company Innova twice or thrice.

Best Family Vehicles IMO are:

1.Innova
2.Ertiga and
3.Xylo
I've driven the Ertiga a bit and came close to buying (rather booking) it. The long wait time made me change my decision.

I don't think it's a good car for a big family. The 3rd row is tight, unless you've shorter people sitting in the first two rows allowing you to slide the second row forward. Also the boot space is not enough to haul suitcases (the third row cannot be split). Otherwise it's a great car. The pricing of Ertiga is pretty good and it might play a role in tilting your decision in Ertiga's favor.

I know two families who were looking to buy a family car and didn't buy Ertiga (even though they liked it) because the seating was tight. One bought Fortuner Automatic and the other bought Innova. Apparently their budgets were quite flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rafian

+100, Why Ertiga, too many people questioned me.

Because
-It is a simple budget LUV(MUV)
-Proven brand,reliable engine, service, but only suitable if
the family has 5 Adults including driver with 2 kids or 2 big bags[clap]

why not scorpio, a proven machine! range starts from 8 Lac onwards (Ex model).
plus different seating options are available 7 seater / 8 seater, 3rd row front side facing or face to face.
Scorpio is more fun to drive and comfortable indeed.

How about Force Traveller ?? You can sit rather than getting stuffed like in case of Innova, Fortuner, Endy etc. (yes 3rd row is non-usable).
Saaste main mast. [;)]

Good part - You can have more members also as they can come in standing [lol]. (Heck, at the end of the day, who is looking at comfort here, right ??[embarass])

Attachments

Top Bottom