ICE'ing My Fiat Punto MJD

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys, it is the time! I am in desparate need to upgrade my audio system in 'Rogue'. The current one is just useless! I have tried burning some MP3 and it fails me to understand why did Fiat put that useless set of speakers in the car anyway.

So, I am looking to upgrade everything, from HU to speakers, may be an Amp!

I need suggestions on best options considering the following things:

Car: Punto
Driven by: Self + one co-pax
Speakers: 6.5" front 5.25" rear (not planning to put a MDF tray at the back, dont think I would need it)
Music I listen to: That's the problem. I listen to almost everything. Rock, Jazz, Hip-hop, Metal, Rap, Alternate, Sufi, Non-bollywood etc.
Expectations: Excellent SQ with punchy bass but not too much. It should be with in car only.
HU: Need 1 din, with BT
Budget: 20~22K (not planning to spend a lot right now). Also considering I will be putting co-axs at rear door I want them to have enough punch!

I am not planning to put a sub right now. May be later, but do not like the idea, so will decide later.

I have talked to a couple of people and here what their suggestions are:
1. All Pioneer set up
2. JVC HU + JBL comps & coaxs
3. JVC HU + RF comps & coaxs

Please suggest!!

PS - I am not looking to build a home theater in car, but yes I want crisp sounds with good low- and mid-range.

Re: ICE'ing my Punto MJD

I think you have answer in your question. The most important thing is HU. Pioneer is good but i will sugget you kenwood or JVC as these are better. As you said you want excellent SQ with punchy bass, then you have to install sub. The speakers cant generate bass. JBL compo and co axials will do a job for you. This set up will not cost you more than 15 to 18K.

Thread Starter #3

I think you have answer in your question. The most important thing is HU. Pioneer is good but i will sugget you kenwood or JVC as these are better. As you said you want excellent SQ with punchy bass, then you have to install sub. The speakers cant generate bass. JBL compo and co axials will do a job for you. This set up will not cost you more than 15 to 18K.
Thanks! If I can get it covered in 18K, I would think about a sub too! That would be great.

Hmmm looks like you are tight on budget now. Why don't you try changing the speakers alone first and see if there are any improvements?

I feel you could save a bit more and go for better speakers and HU.

I have heard from Ilango that Helix comps have good bass effect.

All the compos offer mid bass. They donot have that punchyness in sound. At higher volume they will start crying.

Thread Starter #7

Hmmm looks like you are tight on budget now. Why don't you try changing the speakers alone first and see if there are any improvements?

I feel you could save a bit more and go for better speakers and HU.

I have heard from Ilango that Helix comps have good bass effect.
Yeah a little tight. But in case I do not get the experience I am expecting, I might increase by 5~10K accordingly[:)] Helix, Polks, Focals are very good but over the budget for me. I am looking more in mid-budget ranges like JBL, RFs, Infinity etc.

I don't want to spoil your party but what about warranty?
No issues with warranty. There are no wire cuts and wiring set up is already there [:)]

All the compos offer mid bass. They donot have that punchyness in sound. At higher volume they will start crying.
Totally true. Comps run over amp should be good enough for mid-bass.

We used to have Polk in our earlier Safari , very punchy! I have Focals in front in my Verna and JBL at rear. I feel JBL'S are more punchy than Focal. HU and amp i leave the choice to you. If you are tight on budget Pioneer is also a good option else you can look at JVC , Alpine or Kenwood.

Thread Starter #9
Ok, let me have a look at Polk series too, if they fall in my convenience range. Thanks for suggestions!

Thread Starter #10
Update:

So I got the ICE'ing done today and it sounds wonderful [:)] Every thing perfect.

HU: Pioneer DEH290UB - 5200
Front Comps: RF Prime R1652 S - 5800
Rear Coax: RF Prime 1693 - 4000
Damping: Noise Kill (Front 2 doors) - 4000
Wiring - Delta30 - 1000

Total ~ 21K

Budget install but leaves nothing to ponder!

Pics to follow soon!!

Update:

So I got the ICE'ing done today and it sounds wonderful [:)] Every thing perfect.

HU: Pioneer DEH290UB - 5200
Front Comps: RF Prime R1652 S - 5800
Rear Coax: RF Prime 1693 - 4000
Damping: Noise Kill (Front 2 doors) - 4000
Wiring - Delta30 - 1000

Total ~ 21K

Budget install but leaves nothing to ponder!

Pics to follow soon!!
Can you share some pics, and give a mini review of the sound signature. Please mention what you like and dislike about the system.

Also mention dealer name, location, as it would help TAI members around your area to get a rough idea.

Top Bottom