I request suggestions for a new car in the 9-12 lakh rupee range.

Thread Starter #16
Since he needs the GC, i feel innova is better than a sedan.
Thats a good ground clearance,and thats why we're looking at it,it has got good GC and is still car like to drive,the ride's a breeze I must say.

The Altis also has a good GC which at 175 mm is just a millimeter less than the Innova. I'm wondering why no one is giving any views on the Altis Diesel, I went through the other threads in here and think the only thing making one to re-consider buying it is the lack of low end grunt.
Its just two seconds more than the Octavia Rider TDi to do a 0-100 kmph. But that two seconds really counts in Kerala's conditions where you never get a good enough stretch, free without vehicles coming opposite for an overtaking maneuver. And I believe the longer you're on the wrong side of the road,the closer you are to meeting God.[angel]

Another option was the VW Vento,but I just think its a four seater and nothing more,its very uncomfortable for the person sittting in the middle of the rear seat when there are 5 people on board. There is a huge hump on the floor around 5-6 inches high right there in the middle and that is not good. Its also low on mileage and looks like a car a segment lower. It even looks almost just like a Polo upfront.

Last edited:
You are correct. Both Polo and Vento are not that spacious. Altis is a better deal here. Linea could have been the best fit. But GC is not that good.

@ Jalex: Innova's GC is much more than Altis'.

Please note that in SUVs & MUVs, dont go by what is given in the specs. If innova's GC is written as 176mm, ideally it is more than that. That is because, GC is measured from the ground to the lowest point in the car. In rear wheel driven MUVs & SUVs, the lowest point is the rear differential unlike sedans like corolla. The rear differential will never bottom out on bad roads as its a solid axle which moves up & down along with the rear wheels. So, ideally the innova's GC is much more than 176 mm & the corolla's GC is 175mm. And this makes a difference in bad roads.

The same goes for Scorpio & Maruti SX4. Both boast a GC of 180 mm but SX4 does not have a differential. Even by visual inspection, you can clearly see that a scorpio has more GC than SX4, but of course.

Thread Starter #19
@ Jalex: Innova's GC is much more than Altis'.

Please note that in SUVs & MUVs, dont go by what is given in the specs. If innova's GC is written as 176mm, ideally it is more than that. That is because, GC is measured from the ground to the lowest point in the car. In rear wheel driven MUVs & SUVs, the lowest point is the rear differential unlike sedans like corolla. The rear differential will never bottom out on bad roads as its a solid axle which moves up & down along with the rear wheels. So, ideally the innova's GC is much more than 176 mm & the corolla's GC is 175mm. And this makes a difference in bad roads.

The same goes for Scorpio & Maruti SX4. Both boast a GC of 180 mm but SX4 does not have a differential. Even by visual inspection, you can clearly see that a scorpio has more GC than SX4, but of course.
You've got a good point there. That is why they say minimum Ground Clearance in the specs then.

My senior said that he can think about the Altis Diesel,but waiting period is till November if we make a booking now. So till then he'll either have to get a second hand Innova or keep the TDi Rider.

Thread Starter #23
Well he is inclined on selling off the Octavia cause the price of used Octavias are crashing big time here, Every month its losing value in the ten thousands, If he keeps it for two three months more he might lose some 40000 rupees, maybe even more. If he gets a used Innova he wont lose more than 10000 at the maximum cause that car has a huge demand in the used market.

I would suggest a new Innova if your senior is looking for an MUV.

If for a sedan go ahead with the Altis diesel , Toyota's are known to be reliable. And leave out Cruze if you want comfort at the rear seats , Cruze is as cramped as a Hatch at the rear! if your senior drives alone most of the times , Cruze too is a good option.

Thread Starter #25
I would suggest a new Innova if your senior is looking for an MUV.

If for a sedan go ahead with the Altis diesel , Toyota's are known to be reliable. And leave out Cruze if you want comfort at the rear seats , Cruze is as cramped as a Hatch at the rear! if your senior drives alone most of the times , Cruze too is a good option.
Well we had to go to an outstation court today,I hadn't got the new issue of Overdrive yet. Actually I'm only collecting anniversary issues from last year. So I had no info on the cars to do a comparison. I got one and we had time on the way back to discuss and so I explained about the specs ,pros and cons to my senior.

And coming to cars,I feel that an Innova though great on utility,will actually cost him more to own as he does around 3000 Kms every month,and to do that on an Innova it might need some 300 litres of diesel. An Altis can do that in 150 litres or less so he'll be saving a lot of money. Then I believe the Altis will be more comfortable on long drives. Both the Toyotas are top notch on quality and I would have to say that they rule the roost on that front, maybe second to Honda,but then again thats a petrol and out of the options here.

And Cruze, We juniors will be the ones sitting in the rear and so rear seat comfort matters to us if not him.:biggrin: And Overdrive says that the Cruze has cheap interiors and not so good handling. It does 200kmph though. Altis does only 168kmph. And you have to keep the RPM of the Altis in the meatier range of above 2000rpm to keep it punchy. No problem for that,we usually hit the limiter on all gears till overdrive while driving. And the needle is almost always above 2000 clicks on the Octavia.

Then we compared the 0-100kmph figures with that of the Octavia.
Octavia takes 13.36seconds and Altis takes 14.68. That ain't much difference.
GC- Octavia 135 mm Altis 175 mm.

And a sedan suits a lawyer better than an MUV I guess. We've now narrowed down to the Altis. And I almost forgot to say,my senior's Octy has done 122000kms. He usually changes cars after 100000kms and this one has done 22000 more. No problems till date.

And we had a possible buyer come and see the car today. Then I dont know whether his kidS like the Altis or not? Hope they dont turn him off from buying one. If he does then I guess it will be his loss.

Last edited:
And a sedan suits a lawyer better than an MUV I guess. We've now narrowed down to the Altis. And I almost forgot to say,my senior's Octy has done 122000kms. He usually changes cars after 100000kms and this one has done 22000 more. No problems till date.
It feels good, to have a lawyer on board [thumbsup]

Yes you are right. Altis is a good option. However, as you said, to get most out of it, you need to keep an eye on the RPM and gear shifting. If that can be handled, the Altis is the best option with out any doubts.

The Altis is the obvious choice. As he is apparently a senior lawyer, the Altis will suit him perfectly with its good image of a 'luxury' car!

Well yeah then Altis diesel is a good choice! The rear seat comfort is also better than Cruze , so no problems for you too!:biggrin: Toyota's are known to be reliable and the Altis has great FE too i believe. A wise choice!

Cruze i would say its getting much hype only because of its 150BHP engine and muscle car looks , after checking out the car i felt disappointed.

Top Bottom