Hyundai Verna Sticky Dashboard Problem

Thread Starter #1
My verna is two and a half years old,but,for the past one year,my dashboard has become sticky and anything kept on the dashboard,gets fixed like a glue on it.
Regarding this problem,when i went to the KUN Hyundai in Pondy,they said it is due to sunlight,then,they said it is very rare to get this problem.Finally they said it is a manufacturing defect.When i asked the remedy for this problem,the branch manager said that we can share the cost of the new dashboard,which comes around Rs 18,000.I said i can't pay for their mistake,the only option is to replace the dashboard.
The manager arranged for two service engineers,who do the dashboard painting job for hyundai.They said that if we paint on the current dashboard,it will not be adherent and it will come off in a few days.So,i asked for a replacement,and the manager asked the supervisor to take photo of my dash and send it to the main branch in chennai.For this,they got a response stating that my car is out of warranty.My question was what's the life of the dash paint?For this qustion,they had blank faces with no reply.
I have sent a mail to Hyundai,stating the problem on 31/1/10.Still no reply from their side.
Any help from the experts?

Thats very bad Surendar! Seems you are very unfortunate.

And its very bad from the part of Hyundai! Cmon guys you are placed second after MSIL alright but by doing things like this you are not going to stay out there for long! Fiat and Chevy are fast improving so watch out.

Regarding your problem can you post the picture Surendar which was sent to them? Or atleast post the photo which you have taken! I think Zinam can help you here. Zinam said he has few contact numbers of KUN Hyundai Chennai! Or else try to contact people from Hyundai whose email id's are provided by RSM in a seperate thread!

Thats bad and more unfortunate.
What is the waranty period though?

If your SA is telling that its Manufacturing defect, if possible take in writting, and shoot emails to seniors.
Even if they don't give in writing, send a detailed email with pictures to senior level and see their response. Hope they can help.

Thread Starter #4
cooldhaya,thanks for the advice.I will try mailing them by tomorrow.It is a big disgrace for hyundai.I never thought of posting it in public forums,when i asked the branch manager,he said you can post it and we don't restrict our customers.The result being,me posting it in orkut,consumer complaints and of course a mail to kun hyundai themselves.

350Z

Core Team
Generally such problems doesn't occur or it happens mostly when car is parked in direct sunlight. Fortunately, As Hyundai accepts it to be the manufacturing defect, it could be due to poor quality of paint/plastic. From what you've told, I don't think replacing the complete dashboard sounds so wise idea, Repainting might work. Perhaps a picture of dash can help us to understand the problem better.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I never thought of posting it in public forums,when i asked the branch manager,he said you can post it and we don't restrict our customers.The result being,me posting it in orkut,consumer complaints and of course a mail to kun hyundai themselves.
I think your dealer doesn't understand how can these report affect them in long run. They should learn from Tata/Fiat and Skoda. They are becoming arrogant.

But you should keep trying to send emails. I hope at-least they respond. Also give them the link of this thread and other places, where you have posted. Nobody will take it for granted.

350Z

Core Team
First of all see is there really a need to replace dashboard. If Yes then you must shoot some E-Mails with links to these pages, As suggested by RSM. Dispatch an E-Mail to Mr.Arvind Saxena if things go out of hand, He is a really nice person and will give you an appropriate reply.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
350z,they said it is first complaint in a verna.I will take pics and post it tomorrow.
RSM,I will send these links to hyundai today.Let's wait for the response,if they give.
BTW,along with my verna,there will be two verna(s),whose dashboard are in perfect stock condition,that too,the one of the verna was taken 3 days before my date of delivery and has clocked around 65,000 kms.For me,it started at just around 20,000kms.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
BTW,along with my verna,there will be two verna(s),whose dashboard are in perfect stock condition,that too,the one of the verna was taken 3 days before my date of delivery and has clocked around 65,000 kms.For me,it started at just around 20,000kms.
We can not compare it that way, There are many other factors which it depends upon. I'll wait for pictures before concluding further. By the way, Has the dash turned only sticky or the shape of that area has been affected as well?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Surendar from when are you facing this issue? I think dash was okay during the meet! And do you park your car in direct sunlight always?

@ 350Z They themselves say that repainting wont be adherent. So i think the only way is to change the dash. But they may have also said like that so that they can get some extra cash by changing it completely!

350Z

Core Team
We should not trust Dealers/Service center people always because mostly they are keen to make out moolah from the innocent customers but again, nothing can be said without seeing the dashboard. Surender says that it is happening since one year?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
350z,I will post the pics tomorrow.Please stay cool till tomorrow.
cooldhaya,even at the meet,it was sticky.If you give a scratch with your finger nail,you can see your nail in grey color,and your scratch gets marked on the dashboard.

Wow!!

This is suprising!

I dont believe it to be a manufacturing defect. It should be the word mistakenly told by SA.

If any car is standing in direct sunlight always, the chances are on higher side.

I beleive writing up even to the top levels will not work in this case.

Though this doesn't reduce the current problem, it will certainly help if the dash is replaced. Get a front windshield sun film with good heat rejection. Make sure this is done after the dash problem is solved, else the morons will damage the sun films. And next time you park in sunlight, put some newspaper on the windshield.

Top Bottom