Hyundai Verna Gear Shift Problem

Thread Starter #1
I have a Hyundai Verna 2007 model done about 48k kms. Recently I been to Munnar, while in the morning when I was about to start the car I noticed that I could not shift the gear to first or to any other. Panic ed for a moment switched off the engine and tried to change gears with the engine off. For my surprise the gear changes worked like charm. When I tried starting engine and changing gears it would not. It was stuck / jammed.

The solution was to put the gear while engine in off mode and running for some distance until the engine got hot enough. When the temperator on the indicator came about middle I could change gears like normal. Now my question is why would such a thing happen?? Was it coz it was too cold or my clutch plate having problem? Does any of the existing verna owners never had such an issue? Please give me your feedback. I am taking car to the garage tomorrow to see what will the guys there say.

Thank you all!
Raghu

Hmmm strange! You will have to wait till the technical gurus reply!

I too have a Verna 2008 model clocked 44k KMS now but not faced an issue like this till now!

I am facing the same issue. The gear will stuck after some running time. Once the engine is switched off the gear shift will become free.
Did any of you find a solution?? Please let me know.

I have a Hyundai Verna 2007 model done about 48k kms. Recently I been to Munnar, while in the morning when I was about to start the car I noticed that I could not shift the gear to first or to any other. Panic ed for a moment switched off the engine and tried to change gears with the engine off. For my surprise the gear changes worked like charm. When I tried starting engine and changing gears it would not. It was stuck / jammed.

The solution was to put the gear while engine in off mode and running for some distance until the engine got hot enough. When the temperator on the indicator came about middle I could change gears like normal. Now my question is why would such a thing happen?? Was it coz it was too cold or my clutch plate having problem? Does any of the existing verna owners never had such an issue? Please give me your feedback. I am taking car to the garage tomorrow to see what will the guys there say.

Thank you all!
Raghu
Hi,
Don't now about this particular model of car. The most common cause of this problem is a leak in the hydraulic system, slave or master cylinder. That prevents the clutch from fully releasing. Check the clutch fluid level first.
Start the car, keep your foot on the brake pedal, pump the clutch pedal 3 times to see if it goes into gear with the engine running, If it does it is probably due to a leak.
If you still cannot select a gear with the engine running you will need to get the clutch checked. If the clutch is o.k. the fault must be in the gearbox. There may even be a problem with the gear selector mechanism.

Could be any number of causes, clutch actuator arm cracked or bent, worn actuator pivot, worn thrust bearing, worn/damaged pilot bearing, distorted clutch plate, clutch plate not sliding freely, rusty input shaft, damaged pressure plate etc etc.
The gearbox will need to be disconnected, so while it is off fit a complete new clutch, slave cylinder, thrust bearing and pilot bearing/bush. The last 2 parts may seem to be ok but DO NOT reuse them. They only cost a few rupees but will cost hundreds of rupees if they fail, because you have to remove the gearbox to change them !!!!
Regards Neil

Top Bottom